Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] OT neighbour advice

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This. Also work vans should be banned from residential properties. Even vans parked close-by are an eyesore, let alone on a shared drive. There is no mention of the type or size, but assuming it is not a car sized one, it could also inhibit on his parking (even if "on the posters side", it would restrict movement and door swing).

I feel sorry for the neighbour. The OP sounds like a neighbour from hell, and will hopefully have moved before the poor guy needs to sell his home.

i'm just inqisitve,
what to you do for money?
and have you ever had some work done on your property?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thank you to everyone for the input or advice, obviously some more than others.

To be clear the shared driveway doesn't actually fit a car down so is only used as walk way to the back of the 2 houses and to store his bins and recycling boxes. When I said occasionally it I'm talking once every few months and is never more than a car boots worth of mainly cardboard boxes. To the person who mentioned about doing it before I went on holiday- I put it out at around 8am and arranged for it to be collected at lunch but he'd moved it in-between.

I met with him today to talk about the issues. I have agreed to keep nothing on the shared drive, which I feel is fair and also agreed to have a higher fence fitted at my expense. In return I ask him to respect my families privacy and stop taking pictures of my back garden that is a private space.

He told me he has sent letters to other neighbors about their choice of parking space, I did find that strange as it is on street parking so not sure he has the right to dictate this to anyone but as others have said life is to short.

He also mentioned the kids garden toys ( trampoline ect) as crap so guessing he isn't a fan of kids although its mainly a family street.

To the person who mentioned about van size -mine is small- Citroen berlingo and is brand new so tidier than most cars. To the poster who said they should ban all vans from residental areas, I hope you stick to your word when you need a trades person to work at your property and make it clear to any tradesman what a stuck up attitude you take to van drivers.

What's a ect?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Such a shame that trades people need somewhere to live...

Don't you know everyone now just writes code for a living, whatever that is.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Even if it gets collected the next day, if it happens every few days then that's a regular eye sore. And now he's retired, he has to look at it all day.

Also, don't under estimate how territorial humans are, even when it's irrational. It's one reason why we've survived as a species and is hard-wired into our genetic make up. It's why we get so upset about things like someone sitting in your regular seat, even if a stadium isn't full.

It's you causing the problem, so I think it's up to you to find a solution - some good ideas mentioned above.

i think you need to cleanse yourself from the inside out, you have issues,
the chap isn't doing anything wrong, or illegal,

we are the most sociable creature to have ever evolved,
it should be burnt into your DNA

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This. Also work vans should be banned from residential properties. Even vans parked close-by are an eyesore, let alone on a shared drive. There is no mention of the type or size, but assuming it is not a car sized one, it could also inhibit on his parking (even if "on the posters side", it would restrict movement and door swing).

I feel sorry for the neighbour. The OP sounds like a neighbour from hell, and will hopefully have moved before the poor guy needs to sell his home.

madness

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Geezer in my My mums road has 4 large vans plus two cars evenly distributed down the whole Road, parks on verges and ruins the grass, I would hardly describe being irritated by that as snobbery ffs!

reasonably, what should tradsemen do with their van full of tools, i.e. their entire livelihood?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well one thing they should do is rent a small out of town depot ( yard) or similar if they have 4 vans ffs, the guys employees turn up and start work from his house every morning! One van fine, four? It’s like choices van hire down there some days!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Now the neighbour has retired he should take up a hobby.
I suggest sailing around the world or climbing Mount Everest. :D

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My dad told me a million years ago, don't fall out with your neighbours, otherwise it will eat away at your life.

I have followed that advice, which isn't really my nature if I feel wronged, sometimes giving them the benefit of the doubt rather than challenge what seems petty stuff, even when it is clear they have no right to moan, I am always friendly and speak to all of them, my life is calm.

So, DON'T FALL OUT WITH YOUR NEIGHBOURS, IT EAT AWAY AT YOUR LIFE. :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No i didn't, f*ck him. Sounds like the neighbor is just be irritating because he as nothing better to do with his time..

Sounds like he's in America

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Thank you to everyone for the input or advice, obviously some more than others.

To be clear the shared driveway doesn't actually fit a car down so is only used as walk way to the back of the 2 houses and to store his bins and recycling boxes. When I said occasionally it I'm talking once every few months and is never more than a car boots worth of mainly cardboard boxes. To the person who mentioned about doing it before I went on holiday- I put it out at around 8am and arranged for it to be collected at lunch but he'd moved it in-between.

I met with him today to talk about the issues. I have agreed to keep nothing on the shared drive, which I feel is fair and also agreed to have a higher fence fitted at my expense. In return I ask him to respect my families privacy and stop taking pictures of my back garden that is a private space.

He told me he has sent letters to other neighbors about their choice of parking space, I did find that strange as it is on street parking so not sure he has the right to dictate this to anyone but as others have said life is to short.

He also mentioned the kids garden toys ( trampoline ect) as crap so guessing he isn't a fan of kids although its mainly a family street.

To the person who mentioned about van size -mine is small- Citroen berlingo and is brand new so tidier than most cars. To the poster who said they should ban all vans from residental areas, I hope you stick to your word when you need a trades person to work at your property and make it clear to any tradesman what a stuck up attitude you take to van drivers.

Is he called John Catt? :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here