Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have we got a post-Murray strategy?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not that I know that much but I do recall watching videos of Andone when we first tried to sign him and thinking "Hmmm. Looks a bit like a quick version of Murray".

Of course it remains to be seen if he can do that job in the PL but I'd guess that's at least part of the thinking behind signing him.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think Andone is the contingency plan isn't he? From what we've read and seen of him, he seems to be a 'complete' striker so able to hold the ball up, finish, run in behind and be able to play up front on his own or with a partner.

Obviously we don't know how he will do yet and whether he makes it in the Premier League but the length of time we chased him for and amount we were prepared to pay for him previously suggests the club see him as a big part of our future.

the

Jul 25, 2018
London
Murray has surprised me as a new fan (AJ bandwagoner), and I mean no disrespect to him, but there are a lot of players out there who can do what he does. I think Brighton will be fine without him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Teddy Sheringham played at the top level until he was 40.

North thing to worry about.

Not sure you've said this in semi-jest, but its actually a really good point. I've long considered Murray to be a poor-mans Teddy Sheringham. His game is not and never has been about pace. Its about touch, guile, nouse, speed of thought, and having an innate snidey weaselness in finding the right movement in the box to cause the damage, or draw a foul. He also has an ice-cool composure in front of goal.

I'm not sure he'll still make 40 at this level, but if he stays clear of serious injury then I see no reason why he can't carry on for another couple of seasons at least. He still looks in great shape, and that languid style probably means he has less miles on the clock and more left in the tank at this stage or his career than a speed-merchant would ever have at his age.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm sure the club are waiting for the Burnley relegation fire sale.Barnes,Vokes,Wood,Wells,or my favourite,Vydra,a plethora of good strikers at a reasonable age.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having watched andone the other night I’m fairly sure he’ll have a good go at bullying defenders he looked like he enjoyed it too

Exactly. The way this is set up is that a striker is either good at holding the ball up or at running in behind. From my limited viewings, Andone can do both and, contrary to what many say on here, is not a support striker/number 10, but has spent most of his time playing on his own up-front.
I think he's been brought in to give us a different option to Murray, and with away games in mind at least initially. One of the reasons we're poor away from home is that Murray isn't swift enough to play counter-attacking football; the opposition know this and are comfortable in pushing higher up the pitch, compressing our space when we do get the ball and preventing the possibility of an out ball. Andone's more 'all-round' attributes will allow us to play the ball over the top or into the channels for him to run on to, while still allowing the ball to stick when it's played to him.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Exactly. The way this is set up is that a striker is either good at holding the ball up or at running in behind. From my limited viewings, Andone can do both and, contrary to what many say on here, is not a support striker/number 10, but has spent most of his time playing on his own up-front.
I think he's been brought in to give us a different option to Murray, and with away games in mind at least initially. One of the reasons we're poor away from home is that Murray isn't swift enough to play counter-attacking football; the opposition know this and are comfortable in pushing higher up the pitch, compressing our space when we do get the ball and preventing the possibility of an out ball. Andone's more 'all-round' attributes will allow us to play the ball over the top or into the channels for him to run on to, while still allowing the ball to stick when it's played to him.

Yer

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Let's hope we're not pinning our hopes on Locadia! If we do, I think it's a future in the Championship.

So its somehow Locadia's fault if we get relegated is it? Give it a rest ffs !!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
yes. because he has probably played a whole 90 mins in total in the league so far. But for a good save on Monday night, he would have scored ! I'm not saying hes any good but picking on one player is a bit of a poor show in my opinion.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Murray has surprised me as a new fan (AJ bandwagoner), and I mean no disrespect to him, but there are a lot of players out there who can do what he does. I think Brighton will be fine without him.

A lot of players that can score regularly in the PL whilst providing an outlet, holding the ball up, bullying defenders, drawing fouls, and bringing teammates into play. Care to name any?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I’m all ears. A list of options at reasonable prices, please?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
yes. because he has probably played a whole 90 mins in total in the league so far. But for a good save on Monday night, he would have scored ! I'm not saying hes any good but picking on one player is a bit of a poor show in my opinion.

He's so far played the equivalent of 3 full games in the league. ie: about 270 minutes since February.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here