Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your school trips

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At secondary school in 1974 we gad a school trip to London, ostensibly to view art at either The National Gallery or go to the British Museum..the teachers stuck to that itinerary but we were all told we were free to go and do what we liked instead of doing galleries
Needless to say it ended up in chaos as a group decided to hit Soho. Me and a couple of pals went to St Pauls and then on to the Natural History museum. Great fun in those days as a 50p ticket hit us unlimited bus and tube travel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've told Jnr, now he's in secondary school, he can only go on one 'proper' trip.

He came home a few months ago asking to go on a ski-trip.

Naturally I said 'how much?'

He started to get cagey talking about subsidised if enough go.
So I changed tact and asked 'ok then, where is the school ski trip talking place?'
To which he replied...

...California.

I think it was about £1500.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We've told Jnr, now he's in secondary school, he can only go on one 'proper' trip.

So I changed tact and asked 'ok then, where is the school ski trip talking place?'
To which he replied...

...California.

I was going to say "you have to wonder what goes on in the minds of the teachers". I mean, a price tag that most parents can't get near AND a 14 hour or so flight full of delinquent (but, presumably, middle class at that price) "cherubs". If I was sat anywhere near them I'd ask for my money back off the airline and try to trip up one of the teachers when he was on his way to the Kermit.

But, of course, what goes through their minds is "YIPPEE, A F***ING FREE SKIING TRIP TO CALIFORNIA, WOOOOOOHOOOOOO"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Talking of skiing though, I can't My one attempt at snowboarding, in Japan in my mid 30s, nearly led to permanent paralysis. Therefore my school trips were of the "patisserie, creme de menthe, bangers and vomiting" variety.

Shame as I missed the skiing trip to Austria when I was in 6th Form when my friend Doug, who has been known as "Doug Mare" ever since, got so pissed on schnapps that he passed out for nearly a day and had his eyebrows shaved and his face coloured blue, as in like the Blue Man Group. No social media in those days so thank Christ for Polaroids.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I can't remember any of the actual trips, but I do remember the same view out of the coach window, going down the A23 through somewhere like Earlsfield, then always having to drop someone off at Bolney Stage, then back to Brighton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At what point of the day were these eaten:-

iced-gems-advert-4.jpg

before or after crossing the A27. :lol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Singleton Open Air Museum, my egg sandwiches leaked into my duffel bag. Camping at Burwash I only packed one pair of socks. Shit 'appens.
Next Burwash trip we got caught at about midnight trying to' access' the girls' quarters.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I only remember one field trip to the Cuckmere Valley for geography. I think there were trips abroad to a school ship in the Med, but way out of our price range.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Pike House, Battle. With added day trip to Dungeness!

Funnily enough I was gonna say Pike House, I absolutely loved Battle as a kid. Even funnier at my Secondary School we had a day trip to Dungeness power station - there was a strike at the time and we had to cross the picket line - scabby kids!

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Cuckmere Valley for Geography, Imperial War museum for History and Fishbourne for History as well.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Best field trip was a GCSE Geography one on 'Concentric zones' - We basically walked from Stanmer Park to Churchill Square, culminating in every phone box en route in central Brighton being stripped of all the hookers calling cards, which were then swapped and traded on the coach back like Panini Football stickers. If you were to compare it to The Panini Mexico World Cup 1986 collection for example, then the 'Tahitian beauty 2 minutes from Brighton station' was the Diego Maradona/most valuable one to get, if I recall correctly.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
French exchange trip to some small town just outside Paris when I was 14. I could barely speak a word of French and didn't exactly make much effort to use the few phrases I did know. Thankfully our teacher knew this and we spent most of the trip away from our exchange students. We did all the tourist stuff in Paris, went to the Asterix theme park, and visited one of the Champagne cellars where as a 14 year old I was allowed to buy a bottle, but not drink it (they have some weird laws over there).

The worst was probably an "adventure" trip to North Wales. It pissed it down every day, but of course we still had to go out hiking. There was some comedy on the way home when we got pulled over for a random emissions test and failed. We'd actually borrowed the minibus from Oakmeads School, typical Burgess Hill.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Week in Devils Bridge in Wales staying in what I imagine was an ex POW camp. It was during the 1981 cup final and replay so missed half of the season's live TV football. Never went back to Wales until the play off final in Cardiff.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We hardly had any trips at our school (save for the inevitable trip to the Cuckmere valley) but in our 6th form, I did go an 'educational' cruise round the Med (it was a bit pricey so was my birthday and Christmas present combined).

It was most memorable for Tony Towner's Fridge getting mightily pissed in Greece (then under a military dictatorship) and getting him back to the ship, while he was shouting drunken imprecations against the government.

It was also memorable for the amazingly choppy seas in the Straits of Messina, leading to copious amounts of vomit flying around the ship.

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Trip to St Malo. We were due to stay in a farm house accomodation (converted stables) but it was so infested with fleas that we got moved to a school dorm in St Malo. First night they served us horse meat at the farm which went down well with the girls especially.

The two teachers supervising us spent most of their time shagging each other and we spent most of our time either playing space invaders or discovering beer. Didnt learn much French.

Edit also add in the memorable trips to Dieppe where school mates spent the entire sea trip throwing up punchuated by insulting french kids and returning back home.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

To which he replied...

...California.

Know the feeling. My daughter had her ski trip to New Hampshire! £1400 plus all the gear and spending money. At least they gave us about 18 months to pay for it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Went to a farm by Beachy Head followed by a trip to the Unigate dairy. And we had to watch Romeo and Juliet in Regent's Park on what I remember as one of the hottest days in history.

On the upside, Thorpe Park when it was just models, a farm and a handful of rides including a log flume that stayed on the level and just went through a shed with animatronic frogs singing the Frog Song. And a Cinema 180 - remember them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here