Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Jack russels

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
from personal experience that our little dog suffers occasionally from pollens and our vet advised Piriton which did the trick

Below is taken from a website called DogsBarn.com

Piriton is perfectly safe for dogs and is often recommended by vets as an alternative to prescription drugs to ease the symptoms of allergies, as long as the correct dosage is adhered to and the tablets or syrup are administered correctly.

Piriton can be used as a long-term solution for uncomfortable, chronic allergy symptoms and has the benefit of having few side effects.

There is no cure for allergic reactions, so the best course of action is to remove the offending allergen from the environment if at all possible. If your faithful friend has a reaction to your cleaning products for example, change them without hesitation. Unfortunately, for dogs suffering from hay fever type symptoms as a result of exposure to grasses and pollens, this can't be avoided.

Dog owners can try to help alleviate some of the irritation by being aware of the causes and finding ways to offer some relief. This is where Piriton Tablets can help.

Exactly :thumbsup:

Some antihistamines are also slightly sedating, so don't let your pet drive, especially if he/she has been drinking alcohol. On the plus side, you may find they bark less inappropriately.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This time every year my Jack Russell licks and scratches himself to pieces.... any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated, vet does'nt seem to know.

Poor thing. Sounds like canker allergy, lots of dogs get especially at this time of year. Buy some of this therefore - Thornits Canker Powder, a 50g bottle will more than suffice. Best thing ever for dog skin irritations. And very cheap/natural. Many vets never heard of, so this is where your dog network kicks in and mine includes plenty who I trust / knowledge is second to none.

It’s absolute miracle working and I swear by it after a pedigree breeder who’s been using it for generations told me about. Buy on amazon from a reputable seller and read the reviews for further testimony.

I put a little in a bag and then put dogs paw in and shake the bag so it dusts the paw lightly and/or rub gently into areas that get sore between claws. Also arouund (not in canal!) the ear surface area. But can be used anywhere skin is irritated. You only need
to use sparingly, Once a week at this time of year.

Here’s some useful further info about usage. http://www.spanielstail.co.uk/2015/01/thornit-ear-powder-q-a.html

Also endorse other comments about anti histamines. Just purchase human over the counter equivalent, piroten or similar brand, and give half a tablet once a day. You could also try an aloe Vera based spray, that will naturally sooth the skin. Plenty such products in pet shops or again human equivalent might be cheaper and no difference.

Poor thing will soon be better, it’s that time of year as you say when skin irritations and allergies are highest. Good luck! :)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ask the vet to do a full allergy test on the dog (not you ) , (not cheap ) but the results were incredible as to what my mutt is and isn't allergic too but the spikes in the report showed a significant Sycamore pollen and Rapeseed allergies , they then develop the specific vaccine that caters for the more prevalent allergies and then gets a injection every month winter and summer , ( the injection costs £5.80 a pop so not too bad ) , the difference in my mutt is unreal , she stopped biting her paws after 3 doses her ears are now cleared up of redness of constant scratching . Most vets offer petplan now and if you join this everything works out a lot cheaper

BTW don't start just lobbing the dog piriton as a matter of course , they're ok once in a while but after constant dosing my mutt became lethargic and started watching daytime tv .

Oh , and if your vet seemingly doesn't know what to do , get rid asap .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here