Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Collymore calls Ian Wright a 'Tom' after latest race issues interview

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know this is potentially controversial, but I'm sure I read somewhere that in the last census analysis, only 3% of the British population was classed as Black, African, Carribbean etc (although I suspect this has gone up in the intervening years as I'm sure it was a few years back). Now there's 72 clubs in the UK, meaning that we basically need 3 managers to be of that ethnicity for them to be more than fairly represented within English football management proportionate to the amount of their particular race that live within this country. Well...Keith Curle, Hughton and Darren Moore were all managers within our English Leagues last year (I did hear Curle may leave but haven't checked this). That suggests to me that, proportionately Black people, in particular, are getting a fair chance at management.

If anyone in particular has a gripe, it's the Asian community who really don't have anyone to look up to at all.

Not to say that there shouldn't be more opportunities for people from the BAME groups, but that certain groups actually are well represented...

I find it ironic that we obsess over proportional representation in this country except in government (first past post)! But yes, undoubtably there’s over representation in some occupations and not others eg when was the last time you saw a white English GP visiting the docs or hospital in contrast to watching an ethnically Indian English footballer play? That’s a cultural thing though as we all know although given the riches involved today more ethnic Indian families should encourage their children to play football surely?!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know this is potentially controversial, but I'm sure I read somewhere that in the last census analysis, only 3% of the British population was classed as Black, African, Carribbean etc (although I suspect this has gone up in the intervening years as I'm sure it was a few years back). Now there's 72 clubs in the UK, meaning that we basically need 3 managers to be of that ethnicity for them to be more than fairly represented within English football management proportionate to the amount of their particular race that live within this country. Well...Keith Curle, Hughton and Darren Moore were all managers within our English Leagues last year (I did hear Curle may leave but haven't checked this). That suggests to me that, proportionately Black people, in particular, are getting a fair chance at management.

If anyone in particular has a gripe, it's the Asian community who really don't have anyone to look up to at all.

Not to say that there shouldn't be more opportunities for people from the BAME groups, but that certain groups actually are well represented...

Your point isn't at all 'controversial'. It's just massively disingenuous.

The available positions of football managers and coaches are not filled from a full spread of 'the British population' are they?

They are filled by candidates drawn from a narrow spread of former footballers, and other folk with football coaching qualifications. The ethnic breakdown of that spread of people is absolutely nothing like you suggest.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As he's not continually kicking up a fuss about so called racial inequality in football, when thinking of Chris, you don't really think of him as a black manager - just a manager like any other... just how it should be.

I know you don't mean it like this but I actually think this may be in the ballpark that Stan is talking about that somehow by virtue of his success Hughton becomes less black.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Can't you read? I never said it was, just that there was a long time between '******' becoming unacceptable and 'half cast' becoming unacceptable. One word (or phrase) stayed around in common parlance longer than the other.

There, I've quoted the N word now - enough to have you frothing at the mouth yet?

Waits with baited breath for an outraged person to fly into a rage with a furious response. Please specify on whose behalf you are being outraged...................

Just for the record, I don't, nor would I ever dream of doing so, refer to anybody as ****** or half cast. Totally unacceptable, and quite rightly so. History sometimes has to be explained, though, and those words were once in common usage.

Just to expand on this. Those terms were always unacceptable, it's just that things have moved on sufficiently in some places that those telling us that they were unacceptable are actually being listened to rather than ignored.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That hasn't held Jason Cundy back.

It's held him back in my estimation! But you're right, more of the same. In fact Cundy and Goldstein has become the ultimate 'radio for dummies'. They actually mock the callers who bother to take the time to ring their show. That one and Durham's show, invariably get turned over within 10 minutes.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't really understand why anyone bothers with talkSport. It is absolute shite isn't it?

You're right, it definitely falls squarely into that Einstein definition of insanity, something like 'keep doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results'. For some unknown reason I keep trying, it keeps being crap, and I keep turning over.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You're right, it definitely falls squarely into that Einstein definition of insanity, something like 'keep doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results'. For some unknown reason I keep trying, it keeps being crap, and I keep turning over.

I can honestly say I haven't heard one snippet in the car that has made me think "Why am I bothering with 5 Live when this is the alternative?". It is total drivel from start to finish, and I do wonder how they arrive at the multitude of incredibly shit hosts they employ. It is quite astonishing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't really understand why anyone bothers with talkSport. It is absolute shite isn't it?

Because if you love football, you have to wait until 7pm (if you're lucky) for the BBC to talk about the sport.

5Live is good, but includes some unbalanced and depressing presenters such as Nihal Arthanayake who makes constant left wing jibes as if they are facts against anyone or any organisation that doesn't fit his narrow view of the world. 5live also makes a point on spending much of its time on cricket, tennis and women's football.

Talksport isn't bound by any of the above, giving a solid 11 minutes of football chat and 4 minutes of ads every cycle. It may crap, but it's alluring.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Your point isn't at all 'controversial'. It's just massively disingenuous.

The available positions of football managers and coaches are not filled from a full spread of 'the British population' are they?

They are filled by candidates drawn from a narrow spread of former footballers, and other folk with football coaching qualifications. The ethnic breakdown of that spread of people is absolutely nothing like you suggest.

I think disingenuous is harsh. I wouldn’t have noted the lack of representation within the Asian community otherwise...

My point was that the ethnic group that seems to complain the most, through mouth pieces such as Sol Campbell and Collymore, are actually fairly represented at present. However, as stated, there are groups that simply aren’t represented.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Tell us the story then. What are the circumstances that make it acceptable for a man to hit his girlfriend?

Do some research. He lost his rag with a tart who was delighted with how things were going. I’m not advocating hitting women but for her I’ll make an exception.

Or read the Sun where he kicked her 3 or 4 times in the head - yeah right. He should have just left and let the trollope carry on with her pals.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Do some research. He lost his rag with a tart who was delighted with how things were going. I’m not advocating hitting women but for her I’ll make an exception.

Or read the Sun where he kicked her 3 or 4 times in the head - yeah right. He should have just left and let the trollope carry on with her pals.

You're really not covering yourself in glory here.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You're really not covering yourself in glory here.

You’re not saying f.....uck all though. I’m not sure what you are covering yourself with . I repeat, slapping a bird - not good. Slapping an obnoxious tart - probably still not good but if a journalist friend was there and saw her behaviour then maybe ........ anyway f....uck off I’ve had enough of this now I’m going to play chess.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Only if you genuinely hold the views you're expressing here

Shut up now you don’t know what happened and hitting women is bad. Happy . I’m back off to my home which helps retards like myself ....night night.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It may crap, but it's alluring.

Yikes. You are clearly insufficiently snobby. Talkshite is just a load of Daz doorstep challenge to me. Why settle for that when on R5 you can wake up on a Saturday to....Danny Baker! :whistle::shrug::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here