Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I'm keeping hold of a number of circa 1983 one pound coins. And I'll tell you why....

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
if you have very good condition (i.e. min condition) from early years they might be worth something. the "capital cities" series (which i cant say i ever saw) are worth something as are a few of the other intersting designs. generally though you'll have to wait a lot longer than 10 years for these to be worth anything significant. example, a Victorian crown in good condition is worth around £20, which has about £12 of actual silver (though one in "fine" condition will be worth double).

The four City set(London, Belfast, C ardiff, Edinburgh) of round pounds are selling on Ebay, in circulated condition for up to £26 at the moment, not a bad mark up.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Something else to look out for apparently on the new tenner is a serial with 'JA1775' or JA1815' - Jane Austen's birth and death.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The other half collects the Beatrix Potter 50 pence pieces. More because she likes BP rather than what they may be worth. They are nice coins though.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
...this insistence that we get rid means that coin collectors will pay a pretty penny for these in 10 or so years.

Certainly more than 100 pennies.

I have a very wide 'Royal Mint Tercentenary' £2 coin. I don't mind telling you.

I can put a picture up if you like.

I am certainly not a numismatist, but presumably the value of the current £1 coins will be directly related to their scarcity value (and their condition of course).
I am struggling to understand why telling everyone that they will be valuable in a few years is going to improve the scarcity value :shrug:
Maybe that explains why I don't collect coins...

Anyway, I'm late - off to the footie......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here