Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeepers and the aimless hoof

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Loads of this at the game yesterday, in fact I don't think at any point did Maty consider passing the ball to a defender thereby initiating a patient, intelligent build up of play from the back all the way to the back of the Arsenal net. No, it was hoof, hoof, hoof. And not once.... I repeat NOT ONCE did any of our players manage to jump high enough to win said hoof. Very frustrating.

Arsenal were better in the air by more than 2:1

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Not even sure Ryan's kicking is worse than Stockdale's to be honest - some of the kicks are pretty ambitious, so it's not surprising that a 70 yard punt sometimes misses it's target by a few yards (usually just over the winger or advancing full back's head). He also seems to be exceptionally two-footed which is a big advantage.

In the middle of a good and improving run of form, made some important and classy saves and settling in well. 100% a 'team man' as well and seems to get the whole ethos of the club. Long may it continue. Still always looks like he's wearing soapy gloves in the warm up though. :D

Also a fan's man from what I hear. Staying behind after the game for selfies. Excellent chap.:albion2::p

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Ryan is growing on me rapidly. Seems like a decent bloke and his performances are getting better. Some of goal kicks tend to go a bit wayward which gets frustrating... he put at least four straight out for a throw in against Newcastle. But it's simple because he's trying to hit a target on the wing. It's no different to kicking it straight down the centre of the pitch and missing everyone so that the oppositions goalkeeper can collect it. Nobody hits their target 100% of the time. I think Ryan has already shown that he's a better goalkeeper than Stockdale (as much as I loved the guy).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Also a fan's man from what I hear. Staying behind after the game for selfies. Excellent chap.:albion2::p

Indeed, he was (literally) in the NS for quite a while after the Newcastle game. Loved his sprint to join the team huddle after Gross scored against Wigan - Stockdale wouldn't have even been able to run to the other end and back :laugh:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Indeed, he was (literally) in the NS for quite a while after the Newcastle game. Loved his sprint to join the team huddle after Gross scored against Wigan - Stockdale wouldn't have even been able to run to the other end and back :laugh:

Wigan? Eh?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
He's clearly been told to aim out to the left 5 yards in from the touchline = little margin for error in a 50 yard kick, as if we win the ball = great & if we lose it then its the safest place to set up a good defensive position - rather than straight down the middle.

We are playing to our limitations there - maybe a little too much for my liking

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Not so much about aimless hoofs, but whilst watching the Newcastle game, I was chatting to the bloke next to me about goal kicks. It was one where all the players were converging onto one side of the pitch to receive the kick. I said to him, why don't you ever see the kick go to the other side, catching the opposition out - all except Knocky who sprints from the pack on one side and chases down the kick in loads of space, before launching an attack!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Just to set the record straight, because I HATE to offend anyone.. Firstly, I think MR is a VERY good goalkeeper and was not questioning his ability - he was no doubt playing to agreed tactics. Secondly, I should have said "unproductive long kick" instead of "aimless hoof", as it seemed to me that nearly all of the long kicks fell into the wrong hands and were, therefore unproductive. Thirdly, my Monkey is far too busy writing the entire works of Shakespeare to be posting drivel on NSC.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He did it at the end of the Newcastle game. It was like rugby just kicking into touch. Definitely something to work on, not really good enough in the premier league.

Matt Ryan has grown on me but I don't think he will ever be better than Stockdale, bad but of business overall.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is that Stockdale before or after his first season at the club?

During his first season in the Championship, he was repeatedly deemed not good enough by a very vocal group of 'fans' who wanted him gone and he only really started to win them around with his response to the Shoreham air crash - had those fans got their way, he would have left 2 seasons before we were promoted (+ how has he been doing at Birmingham?)

Ryan has played just 7 games in his first season in the PL and it seems those who don't want to give a player time to grow into the role and the club are back again. Ryan has been getting better with each game so lets stop these ridiculous comments and threads and get behind the players that the manager backs to play

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fitter
Better shot stopper
Better with his feet
Generally more agile

Better on crosses and high balls

Mentally tougher - less of an emotional roller coaster

Better down low at close quarters

Quicker off his line

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Generally more agile

Better on crosses and high balls

Mentally tougher - less of an emotional roller coaster

Better down low at close quarters

Quicker off his line

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

...Yeah but apart from that... :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE DS13 and think that he was crucial in fostering the whole #together thing to the degree that it had such an impact on us as a unit last season. Plus it's clear he was the type of player who somehow makes others around him play better, if that makes sense.

But Ryan is just a better keeper in almost every regard, from what I can tell.

(Though I will defer judgement to [MENTION=286]Garry Nelson's Left Foot[/MENTION] as he is a genuine expert on the art of goalkeeping)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here