Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A border is between the EU and the UK.
Trade goes between the EU and the UK over the NI border.

We both agree with that.

If the UK falls back onto WTO rules to trade with the EU, the both parties are trading on WTO rules with each other.

There is as much requirement on the EU to enforce WTO rules as there is on the UK.

And with that I am now finally out for a few days.

:flounce::flounce::flounce::bigwave:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I only comment on here occasionally now as I have not seen one person changed their view over the last 2 years. It’s become too tribal.

I accept that there will be disruption if we leave with no deal. Some things will be short term and other may last medium term.
I accept that there will be an initial economic impact to the country, but, IMO, the projections from the remainers are extreme and often covered in weasel words like could, may, possibly, research, models etc.

However, what very few remainers will admit is that the people who are in control of the process (May, Hammond and Robbins) are all remainers by heart. The standard response is that it’s Brexiteers who are f*cking this up, but the reality is the people interfacing with the EU are remainers and have rolled over too much and not wanted to be tough with them.

Davis was undermined by May as she allowed Robbins to really be the negotiator with the EU.

Hammond has not prepared the country for the possibility of No Deal. If we’d prepared, then the impact woul be mitigated (just to clarify before the rabid mob jump on this, I’m saying mitigated and not eliminated). We’ve done virtually no preparation and the people in charge of this are May/Hammond (yep, them remainers again).

So I agree with your views that this threat is pointless. The polarised views are divorced from the reality of what is happening and what will happen. Team May/Hammond/Robbins are making a complete balls-up of this. It’s pathetic.

Brexit would never have been easy but it didn’t have to be this clusterf*ck that they have allowed it to be. No planning appears to have been done.

Maybe. But what, in practical terms, would 'being tough with them' actually mean? Negotiations would probably break down and we'd be faced with no deal. Almost everyone accepts that this scenario would be terrible. My take is that May, running scared of the ERG, painted herself into a corner with the red lines which she should have known from day one would be unacceptable to the EU. Too much sabre-rattling, not too little.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You wonder why people think you’re a complete c*nt and threaten you.

I’ve tried to be civil and make sensible points, but you really are a prize pr1ck nibble. And a complete liar who’s been found out.

And there she blows.... I knew you'd reveal your true colours instead of all this "I can't deal with the arguments and sniping" bullshit. With the absolute minimum of provocation too. Far less than you dish out when you're on one. Off you pop now .Fukkety-bye!

P.S Point of fact, I am in no wonder whatsoever why people like you think I'm a ****.

:wave:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I’ve tried to be civil and make sensible points, but you really are a prize pr1ck nibble. And a complete liar who’s been found out.

Same every single time

Make stupid statement
Get questioned on background/facts/logic of statement
Insult everyone
Disappear for a bit

....and repeat

Am I starting to see a pattern developing here ???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Am I starting to see a pattern developing here ???

He's predictable. If some more of his chums had been on here to back him up he'd have stuck around and called me Nibble for another hour or so but he can't handle being outnumbered so off he flounces. Utter tool.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A border is between the EU and the UK.
Trade goes between the EU and the UK over the NI border.

We both agree with that.

If the UK falls back onto WTO rules to trade with the EU, the both parties are trading on WTO rules with each other.

There is as much requirement on the EU to enforce WTO rules as there is on the UK.

And with that I am now finally out for a few days.

I’ve not got a clue what you’re going on about here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Essentially, all the benefits of membership, without having to be subject to the ECJ, pay as much money or allow workers to come here to fill job vacancies.
We are not likely to demand that we get the same benefits and pay less money IMO.
We are asking for a better deal than has been done with anyone else including the Japan deal which has a GDP twice the size of ours
The EU exports far more to the UK than it does to Japan, so Japan's GDP isn't really relevant.

and the proposed TTIP deal with the US (7 times our GDP) that was close before Trump got elected.
The deal didn't happen, and we don't know the detail of the deal anyway. At least EU trade with the US is more comparable with the UK that Japan's trade, I'll give you that.

Even with the back down on services, the deal wanted on "a" customs union rather than "the" customs union is asking for us as a non member to be able to set rules for the 27 members. It is entirely unreasonable to expect to get that.
You're not even on the UK's side.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting to read a report in the FT that the government is beginning to float the idea that the UK stays in the EEA to solve the logjam. What's particularly interesting is that it's a suggestion, not from a Remainer, but from arch-Brexiteer Michael Gove.

"At a recent dinner, Mr Gove talked with moderate Conservative MPs and peers about a scenario in which the UK would remain “parked” in the European Economic Area, like Norway, to avoid the chaos of a disorderly “no deal” exit.

The idea of the UK’s staying in the EEA in the event of Brexit talks collapsing has been gaining ground among some Conservatives

It would be a sensible solution and proof perhaps that not everyone in the Tory party is totally barmy - although many do give that impression. It would be interesting to see if this has legs

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good grief .... links are a risk to click not post !!!!!

Don't think you have quite got the hang of this.Opening a link to NSC can be hazardous to a non-secure site,ie HTTP as opposed to HTTPS.Probably due to people posting with links to dodgy East European sites.I could be a **** and post the links,but unlike some,I have respect for other people.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

So much for your theory an hour or two back about it only being other people who are unnecessarily rude on this thread...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Everybody is on UK's side. Some just want to throw future generations lives into the bin for some strange nationalistic bullshit.

Have you thought of stand-up comedy.Most on here support the EU over Great Britain.As for the future generations thing,most of our generation have improved themselves so that they can pass it on to their kids and grandkids.As opposed to the wah-wah-wah,spoilt-*******,hurry-up-and die,want-my-nanny,self-entitled remainers on here.:)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Have you thought of stand-up comedy.Most on here support the EU over Great Britain.As for the future generations thing,most of our generation have improved themselves so that they can pass it on to their kids and grandkids.As opposed to the wah-wah-wah,spoilt-*******,hurry-up-and die,want-my-nanny,self-entitled remainers on here.:)

....and in English?

What I think you are saying is that you have prepared your children etc etc. My daughter has worked since leaving school for a government department. However, im not a selfish **** regarding the rest of the young people in the country. You CLEARLY are.
Youre backing Grreat Britain... no. You really are not.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This is utterly wrong. Seriously, it is a ridiculous proposition.

People who feel that the UK's best interests are served working within the EU, are still acting in (what they feel are) the UK's best interests. This isn't a football match. Such stupid claims just make you look thick.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
So we're saying to the EU, do a fair deal, or there will be no deal and it will be bad for both of us. That seems reasonable to me.

I disagree. I'd say the biggest weapon (as you put it) that we have, is that no deal will be really bad for the EU too.

You can't tell them that trigger. You can't tell them that us leaving is going to the hurt the EU as much as us. It's all one way.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We are not likely to demand that we get the same benefits and pay less money IMO.
The EU exports far more to the UK than it does to Japan, so Japan's GDP isn't really relevant.

The deal didn't happen, and we don't know the detail of the deal anyway. At least EU trade with the US is more comparable with the UK that Japan's trade, I'll give you that.

You're not even on the UK's side.

I want the best outcome for the UK, for me that is staying in the EU. I don't have a side as I feel both the UK and the EU represent us, and I would like to keep it that way.

larus

So much for your theory an hour or two back about it only being other people who are unnecessarily rude on this thread...

I tried to engage with sensible debate (which started with post to [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]). Then nibble/the clamp joined in and, as per usual, starts his modus operandi of trying to rile people by insulting, so yeah, I called him a c*nt. I admit it was done in frustration and irritation. I won't put him on ignore as I think that's pointless. (Only 1 on ignore- HW Tackle)

Fact is he's a proven liar (he denied having a previous account nibble, threatened people with 'legal action/consequences' and then admitted he had had the account, but had changed to the Clamp because he'd been threatened by another poster in the past). He has a history of irritating people, yet he's too thick to see it. He thinks as he falls out with so many people, it's all their fault rather than his.

I'd happily engage in sensible debate, but it comes down to a constant stream (from certain posters) about leavers are thick, racist, xenophobes etc, it becomes pointless. And, the remain voters seem to refuse to accept that it is remainers who are running the negotiations and our preparations. Namely, May, Hammond and Robbins.

I also will ignore Herr T most of the time (as he comes across as a patronising, self-righteous person who can't even admit when he makes a mistake as he did regarding a chart a few months ago). But the Clamp I find to be a nasty person, probably due, in my opinion, to his own failings in life.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This is utterly wrong. Seriously, it is a ridiculous proposition.

People who feel that the UK's best interests are served working within the EU, are still acting in (what they feel are) the UK's best interests. This isn't a football match. Such stupid claims just make you look thick.

There's no winner in Brexit: just damage limitation on both sides with each of them forced into this position by the process itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here