Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
3 amendments today to try and scupper the Governments fixed exit date of 29 March 2019. And all 3 defeated.
No need for [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] to change the thread title after all,you can stop panicking now.

Sadly, following some of the unwarranted abuse he received whilst carrying out his mod duties he’s decided to ditch NSC.

D

Deleted member 22389

Germany has a balanced economy which includes manufacturing so whatever happened they’d have a sector which benefits. We also have a fantastic service sector as well. You screwed up because your economy is woefully imbalanced and heavily dependent on, and in hock to, services. And your response is the classic British one which is to blame everyone and everything else for taking your eye off the ball.

We shouldn't have sold mini to the BMW group for starters. That's how little faith and support our government's showed towards manufacturing over the years. Saying that the Italians sold out to the Germans too. Letting go of any manufacturing to another country is just plain crazy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sadly, following some of the unwarranted abuse he received whilst carrying out his mod duties he’s decided to ditch NSC.

I'm hoping some bans were handed out .... although I know you can't say.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We shouldn't have sold mini to the BMW group for starters. That's how little faith and support our government's showed towards manufacturing over the years. Saying that the Italians sold out to the Germans too. Letting go of any manufacturing to another country is just plain crazy.

Agree. I understand Italy is making a come back. They make a lot of car components these days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Which says a lot about the current bunch of people who infest this place to bore everyone silly with their myopic views.

Just reading through here they all come up to the surface from their deep ponds.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Did you get a ban for abusing [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION]?

Telling him he was a liar you mean ? Telling the truth isn't abusing - he's very quick to report people so I'm sure he'll have reported mine if he felt I had abused him. And you perfectly well we're not allowed to discuss any infractions or bans I may or may not have had.

Besides, your posts towards 2 Profs have hardly been nice or adult.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Unfortunately, its not just the government when it comes to manufacturing its the whole British approach to investment to Engineering

That said motor manufacturing under foreign ownership is a modern day success story for UK industry, our local BMW plant in Oxford has surpassed all expectations.

In total 2016, some 1.7m UK made cars were shipped with 56% going to the EU

Still seems this industry that employs some 1m people is worth sacrificing for Brexit ideology though

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
When's he introducing that then?

According to the Sunday Times it's being written now and he hopes to have it ready for the next round of EU discussions. Allegedly May isn't happy but given she's shown eff all leadership it's good to see ministers such as Javid and Gove actually getting to grips with their departments and ploughing ahead regardless.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Did you get a ban for abusing [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION]?

You turned your back on [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] when he was called out quite rightly as a liar, no more 'thumbs up' or 'virtual high fives' from you, you ignored him entirely.

Receiving a few justified digs from an adversary and not a word of support from a supposed forum buddy says it all really, you now offering up [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] for yet another deserved kicking in a failed attempt to make a point against [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] shows what I have always said, you are the ultimate 'me me me me ' poster, if I was [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] I would be thinking 'who needs enemies when I have got friends like him' .............................

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
According to the Sunday Times it's being written now and he hopes to have it ready for the next round of EU discussions. Allegedly May isn't happy but given she's shown eff all leadership it's good to see ministers such as Javid and Gove actually getting to grips with their departments and ploughing ahead regardless.

Yes, it's not being introduced then, is it. It's merely a proposal and as the cabinet is still split on the idea and can't agree, hope of having it ready by the next round of discussions in October is about all he does have. The immigration white paper was supposed to be published last summer. Additionally according to The Times, The EU will fire down the googly of free movement again onto the negotiating table in October just before or at or around the time of the party conferences.

'Hopes to have it ready' - you've summed Brexit up quite well there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You turned your back on [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] when he was called out quite rightly as a liar, no more 'thumbs up' or 'virtual high fives' from you, you ignored him entirely.

Receiving a few justified digs from an adversary and not a word of support from a supposed forum buddy says it all really, you now offering up [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] for yet another deserved kicking in a failed attempt to make a point against [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] shows what I have always said, you are the ultimate 'me me me me ' poster, if I was [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] I would be thinking 'who needs enemies when I have got friends like him' .............................

This a pretty low and shit stirring post. Its probably best I leave it here.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Your question rather sums up the contempt some people on the remain side have for our long established democratic process. Huge majority ... in fact, any majority should be ignored if it doesn't suit your pov.

You really have absolutely no idea about the role of Parliament do you? You talk about 'long-established democratic process' and then complain when Parliament attempts to do its job. The role of Parliament is to implement legislation that is in the long-term best interests of the UK. It is not to implement the result of referendum. I'm assuming you still wish to stand by your admiration for our 'long established democratic process', or are you in fact in favour of forcing through legislation that goes against the wishes of a significant number of people in this country?

UK Governments are elected by the people to propose legislation. They are here today, gone tomorrow affairs, often elected by a minority of the people. Parliament is there to ensure that all Acts are held up to proper scrutiny. Perhaps, after all, you are not an admirer of our long-established democratic process and would rather see a single house of representative force through legislation. This is not the basis upon which UK sovereignty has worked, nor in my opinion, as a proud Brit and Englishman, should work. By all means, reform the upper house, but remember its role as one of the 3 checks and balances within Parliament.

I'm sure you'll come back and tell me that you knew all this, in which case that's fine. It just means you have no respect for our 'long established democratic process.'

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I apologised to him via PM for my part in that, as I realise I did go over the top. Sadly, he probably hasn't picked it up - or at least hasn't responded. Therefore, please pass it on if you are still in touch with him.

For all of that, I do feel he's being a bit of a snowflake if he's decided to bin off NSC just because of that one thread, where incidentally, he didn't help himself.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The role of Parliament is to implement legislation that is in the long-term best interests of the UK. It is not to implement the result of referendum.
Yes, it is. Parliament took a democratic decision to have the referendum, that is to leave the choice of leaving or staying to the British electorate. By deciding to have a referendum, that is exactly what they are legitimately doing - allowing the public to decide.
Which we have. I realise a huge majority of Westminster politicians are opposed to leaving, but that is their problem; they voted for a referendum. And I refer you to the Prime Minister's speech, immediately before the referendum:

"So as you take this decision – whether to remain or leave – do think about the hopes and dreams of your children and grandchildren. They know their chances to work, to travel, to build the sort of open and successful society they want to live in, rests on this outcome.And remember: they can’t undo the decision we take.
If we vote out, that’s it. It is irreversible. We will leave Europe – for good
For the next two days, up and down the country…in homes, in pubs, in the staff room at work, on the train on the way home…the conversations will continue: in or out? But on Thursday, those conversations will stop.

There you have it - Parliament voted to let the British people decide. Have to admit, though, that Cameron's final sentence there was way off the mark!

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, it is. Parliament took a democratic decision to have the referendum, that is to leave the choice of leaving or staying to the British electorate. By deciding to have a referendum, that is exactly what they are legitimately doing - allowing the public to decide.
Which we have. I realise a huge majority of Westminster politicians are opposed to leaving, but that is their problem; they voted for a referendum. And I refer you to the Prime Minister's speech, immediately before the referendum:

"So as you take this decision – whether to remain or leave – do think about the hopes and dreams of your children and grandchildren. They know their chances to work, to travel, to build the sort of open and successful society they want to live in, rests on this outcome.And remember: they can’t undo the decision we take.
If we vote out, that’s it. It is irreversible. We will leave Europe – for good
For the next two days, up and down the country…in homes, in pubs, in the staff room at work, on the train on the way home…the conversations will continue: in or out? But on Thursday, those conversations will stop.

There you have it - Parliament voted to let the British people decide. Have to admit, though, that Cameron's final sentence there was way off the mark!

Again, you misunderstand the role of Parliament. Parliament never signed up to handing over control of whether or how the UK might exit the EU, nor what it might mean if the UK were to stay within the EU. What David Cameron may have uttered has absolutely nothing to do with the role of Parliament. He's just one bloke, and Parliament is Sovereign. I find it extraordinary that so many people see to want to ride roughshod over our long-standing democratic process in pursuit of a dogma that is the strongly held belief of a minority of people in the UK. Parliament was originally established to ensure that a minority - the Monarch - could not enforce his or her rule over the majority. It still has that role today, and the whole of Parliament must now ensure that decisions are taken in the best interests of the UK. The referendum was a signal, never an instruction nor a guidebook as to how or whether the UK exited the EU.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here