Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What can be done to make midweek games at The Amex less of a pain in the arse?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As I have said I cannnor see why Brighton & Hove Buses cannor run any spare buses in the garage to Falmer and go around the roundabout back on the A270 stopping at Falmer Station /Univerfsity then Old Steine, After the Bournemouth game we had a 45 minute wait as a 28 or 29 when approaching Falmer Station?university stop saw the crowd and displayed the Not In Serevice sign and drove straight on without stopping.. Being a Sunday service it meant a very long wait. which could so easily have been avoided for many.

This has nothing to do with being adults if the transport isnt available you cant use it. The quicker they can clear The Amex crowd and traffic the quicker the traffic returns to normal.

So you're expecting extra drivers drafted in for a couple of runs on News Year Day just so you didn't have to wait a short time. You selfish git.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nothing.

Too many people who have only recently followed Brighton since attendances dropped at the Goldstone forget that not since the 80's have we seen large crowds at home. There's hardly any difference in getting to our ground than many others up and down the country, some much worse with less attendance! The club offer something no other club does, I'm afraid too many want and expect everything to be done for them.

Like those complaining about ticket pricing, then complain about recruitment, then selling our better players if we go down.

This is a reality in the top leagues in this country some can't grasp.

Southern Rail says otherwise it is easy (50%) to near impossible (only possible after queuing for taxis) to get to evening games via West Coastway with no better or even adequate alternatives. That's w/o a strike on.

I know more than a handful that cannot hack evening games and did not renew their season tickets.

The buses from Shoreham were too slow and uncomfortable and have now ceased.

Last edited:

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
As fantastic as our stadium is, the ticket sales for Monday just go to show how inconvenient it is getting to (and in particular) from the Amex for evening fixtures.

I know there are other factors too for this game but the general feeling is that a Monday night is an absolute ballache. Transitionally there are lots of empty seats at night games, and not just kids ones either.

Is there anything the club can/should be doing to improve things?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don’t think Monday’s lack of attendance is reflective of a normal midweek game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Southern Rail says otherwise it is easy to near impossible (only possible after queuing for taxis) to get to evening games via West Coastway with no better or even adequate alternatives. That's w/o a strike on.

So the clubs runs the railways do they? No

So find another way if you want to go. Chelsea Boxing Day no trains so guess what I didn't sit at home bemoaning the fact I made alternative arrangements because being a big grown up I can do that.

If I wanted to go to an away game that didn't get me back before a certain time in London then I wouldn't be able to get back on the Hastings line. Guess what I use another form of transport if I want to go.

People are full of excuses, full of can't do attitude, it's unfair.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Short of moving the Amex to Brighton or Hove, there's nothing significant that can be done. Come final whistle you're suddenly acutely aware that you're stuck in the back of beyond, vying for limited transport options with tens of thousands of others who just the same as you just want to get home ASAP because they've got an early start in the morning.

It's not that isolated. You've got the choice of several buses in several locations, and a train, plus Park & Rides, and car parks. Some of our fans don't know they're born.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As I have said I cannnor see why Brighton & Hove Buses cannor run any spare buses in the garage to Falmer and go around the roundabout back on the A270 stopping at Falmer Station /Univerfsity then Old Steine, After the Bournemouth game we had a 45 minute wait as a 28 or 29 when approaching Falmer Station?university stop saw the crowd and displayed the Not In Serevice sign and drove straight on without stopping.. Being a Sunday service it meant a very long wait. which could so easily have been avoided for many.

This has nothing to do with being adults if the transport isnt available you cant use it. The quicker they can clear The Amex crowd and traffic the quicker the traffic returns to normal.

Why not go to Village Way and catch a 25?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
For those West of Brighton it would be fantastic if it was possible to have a train that doesn’t require a change in Brighton itself, particularly on the way home.

And, technically at least, it is possible. On a couple of occasions, purely by chance, I’ve been on a Worthing -> Brighton train that when, it arrived in Brighton, it became a Lewes service so no changing required to get to Falmer.

It would need some management, such as not actually stopping in a brighton (or not opening the doors) to ty and ensure that it was only used by those going West of Brighton itself.

It happening incoming on one match v Millwall. Extra train was too full to enter though as only 3 or 4 coach trains can be used. After the three farces last season, I think we are just pleased to get a train at all. Cancelled connecting trains in and out, and trains too full to enter, are more often than not.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
People forget that Albion's catchment area is very large.

Getting back to Brighton after a match isn't too much of a pain, but making a connection and going beyond in a PITA. That affects thousands.

In fact getting out of work and TO a match on time can be a lottery thanks to Southern Rail.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Short of moving the Amex to Brighton or Hove, there's nothing significant that can be done. Come final whistle you're suddenly acutely aware that you're stuck in the back of beyond, vying for limited transport options with tens of thousands of others who just the same as you just want to get home ASAP because they've got an early start in the morning.

This...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Jesus 100 yard walk you arrive at a station one stop Lewes train to Haywards Heath or go to Brighton train to Haywards Heath. No difference to when we were at Hove apart from the walk, which was further to the station.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Who wants the ground located back in Brighton or Hove, those of us without an option but to drive don't want to find a parking place in the most car unfriendly city in the country, no thanks. Many Brighton fans live outside Brighton

Spoken like a true self-centred car owner 👍

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Jesus 100 yard walk you arrive at a station one stop Lewes train to Haywards Heath or go to Brighton train to Haywards Heath. No difference to when we were at Hove apart from the walk, which was further to the station.

Spoken like a true self-centred car owner ��

We didn't have a car in the early 60's but had to queue for ages for a bus on Old Shoreham Road, to get back to Portslade. At least 45 minutes.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Ultimately, I feel that people feeling they are getting a good deal will soften the arse pain

There is no 'one size fits all' answer though. We gave up our season tickets because living 50 miles away combined with 3 of school age and one parent working on London made it a lot to work out. I love a game under the lights.

For me, maximising bums on seats for midweek games means focusing on the nearby fans. Make it very cheap and people will go.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Spoken like a true self-centred car owner ��

No I travel by train, bus or car whatever is best for the situation. The point I am making is those that wish to drive currently have an easier chance of parking (paying) than they would in the city.

I have to drive for my job and I work for a brewery which normally requires me to go to city centres along the whole south (anything below the M4/London). I do travel by train when I can but needing to visit out of town sites as well, prohibits this on occasions. Brighton is near impossible at times.

I take it you enjoy the bars pub etc in the centre of the city you do realise that to function they need servicing?

Being self centred I make sure I have a car full for my visits to football or I go by train and I even expect to wait to get away, bad me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We didn't have a car in the early 60's but had to queue for ages for a bus on Old Shoreham Road, to get back to Portslade. At least 45 minutes.

Shanky's pony not operating back then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you're expecting extra drivers drafted in for a couple of runs on News Year Day just so you didn't have to wait a short time. You selfish git.

No I did say spare buses in the garage rthat would obviously include a driver who had some time left on his hours even if it was only 30 mins to do 1 trip. 4 such trips would have cleared the numbers of people at the stop. Or even the service 28 or 29 not decided to put up the not in service sign as it approached the stop. Had they gone from the garage to Falmer and back to the garage that would have got people on to a greater choice of buses and solved the problem.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nothing.

Too many people who have only recently followed Brighton since attendances dropped at the Goldstone forget that not since the 80's have we seen large crowds at home. There's hardly any difference in getting to our ground than many others up and down the country, some much worse with less attendance! The club offer something no other club does, I'm afraid too many want and expect everything to be done for them.

Like those complaining about ticket pricing, then complain about recruitment, then selling our better players if we go down.

This is a reality in the top leagues in this country some can't grasp.
Agree with most although the traffic in Brighton is dire and the lack of parking is a big problem unless you use the park and ride.Problem is that most who don't go to midweek games probably don't live in Brighton and to be frank I've did it twice in midweek and it's a bloody joke.

Of course you can find many more positives especially if you live locally but for many who don't it's a bloody mare :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here