Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Monk's Farm

theboybilly

I grew up in Hassocks and visit the area regularly. It's no more overcrowded than anywhere else. People just don't like change or progress

You might want to look again. It won't be long before (your example) Hassocks joins up with Burgess Hill. There's a massive town being touted west of Haywards Heath. The developers have no regard for lack the of infrastructure in either area but know there's vastly more money to be made building in the SE. The A27 is at breaking point going through Worthing (which this scheme with further impact on)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You've conveniently ignored the rest of the post ..and his point ..no one denies we need housing!

I don't know whether the 30% affordable housing will be true or not, so I can't comment on that.

I saw the drainage answer to the concern of it being a flood plain, so stuck to that point. I remember when we applied for planning permission to build the training ground, there were dire warnings about flooding, which haven't happened because the club put good drainage in.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
While I obviously appreciate TBs massive financial input to the club I find this attempt to leverage love for the club into support for a commercial development pretty despicable.

Me too, that desolate space that isn't being utilised by anyone is a beautiful sight. Who needs urban development and economic regeneration, back in the day, they would enjoy the rubble around them after the Nazis bombed us. Where has our backbone gone to?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Have you read the planning application? The answer to the drainage question is there. I don't blindly support it just because the Albion are involved.

I have but not being an expert I can't comment. I was at meeting the other day when an expert was present and he questioned it. Reports commissioned by the developers (the traffic one for example) often say what the developer would like them to say

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I don't know whether the 30% affordable housing will be true or not, so I can't comment on that.

I saw the drainage answer to the concern of it being a flood plain, so stuck to that point. I remember when we applied for planning permission to build the training ground, there were dire warnings about flooding, which haven't happened because the club put good drainage in.

The point "my" expert made was that the plan is all well and good the vast majority of the time but once every 10?20?50? years it won't be and then it'll be a disaster.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Have you read the planning application? The answer to the drainage question is there. I don't blindly support it just because the Albion are involved.

You personally don't blindly support it just because the Albion are involved, but isn't that essentially what they are asking people to do?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You personally don't blindly support it just because the Albion are involved, but isn't that essentially what they are asking people to do?

No, the code for the planning application is given for people to read for themselves. The club have also given a list of positives to back the planning. I read both & think it's ok.
You can read it and oppose it, so the club aren't asking fans to blindly support it.
I thought it was quite informative.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
You might want to look again. It won't be long before (your example) Hassocks joins up with Burgess Hill. There's a massive town being touted west of Haywards Heath. The developers have no regard for lack the of infrastructure in either area but know there's vastly more money to be made building in the SE. The A27 is at breaking point going through Worthing (which this scheme with further impact on)

The lack of infrastructure is true but the solution is to create the infrastructure alongside the housing. The houses aren't the problem, the lack of government investment to support them is but they don't care about that as long as the prices of their property portfolio continues to rise

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I don't think he is doing abything that any other successful businessman wouldn't, given the same circumstances.
I entirely agree, and I have no problem with him making the application, and on cursory inspection its a far more acceptable development than many would have made.
My objection is entirely that using the club website to ask fans to skew a consultation is ... well objectionable.
It's not comparable to the stadium, IKEA isn't going to be homeless and go out of business.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The point "my" expert made was that the plan is all well and good the vast majority of the time but once every 10?20?50? years it won't be and then it'll be a disaster.

It's a particularly apt point. Particularly given meteorological conditions that may previously have been considered 1 in 100 year events are happening more frequently.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I entirely agree, and I have no problem with him making the application, and on cursory inspection its a far more acceptable development than many would have made.
My objection is entirely that using the club website to ask fans to skew a consultation is ... well objectionable.
It's not comparable to the stadium, IKEA isn't going to be homeless and go out of business.

Good points well made, I would suggest this is really the crux of the issue.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I think the key point is that the land is owned by a subsidiary of the club

What club paid for land versus value of land with planning permission is a tidy profit which will go to club

No reason to think these funds will not stay in the club and sustain it for several years

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There is a case for building there but they haven't made it. Pollution levels are already 35% above the legal maximum and they want to put the primary school (which is too small incidentally) up next to it.

No they aren't. Would love to know where you got the 35% from.

What has the school got to do with anything?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here