Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Samuel in The Mail today - Brighton Beware

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On the contrary...I remember it well :smile:

So going from Withdean to spending 300 million pounds within a decade is OK within the spirit of financial fair play is it?

Most of the £300m has been spent on infrastructure, of which both the letter and the technicalities of FFP allow for.

The spirit of FFP is about fittering money away on over-priced talent-free mercenaries. e.g. Shane Duffy is still our most expensive signing at £4.5m.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Next season:

We'll win a few
We'll lose a few (probably more than a few)
We'll target 17th as the success benchmark

But above all......

Let's enjoy the ride, whatever happens.

Good advice.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Odds are meaningless until squads are finalised surely? The bookies (and we) have no idea who will be playing for us on 12th August.

They have to start somewhere. I presume the odds have shortened as at 2/1 many would think that a good bet, given our recent form. Like everyone else, I want us to beat the odds.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I just don't get the 'holier than thou' attitude about Palace being shafted into two administrations by poor owners when you lads are positively crowing about £300M being spent by your owner. The only difference being that Tony Bloom had considerably deeper pockets than Goldberg or Jordan.

What stupidity you wish to represent yourself as , really has no interest to me. You are a troll and nothing else.

What does interest me, is why our Moderators think you and so many other trolls from your scummy little club, serve some purpose on this forum.....? That absolutely baffles me.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Brian Reade in a second rate journalist and has always had a bit of the shock jock about him. Always best ignored. As for Martin Samuels, now he is different gravy and certainly one of the best out there. Surprising then that he could be bothered with writing a piece that should surely have been filed away in the 'Stating the bloody obvious' drawer.

Ach, it's like a "Meet Brighton" for a national readership more likely than not unfamiliar with us! Pretty glowing if you look at it that way, bigging us up really.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I just don't get the 'holier than thou' attitude about Palace being shafted into two administrations by poor owners when you lads are positively crowing about £300M being spent by your owner. The only difference being that Tony Bloom had considerably deeper pockets than Goldberg or Jordan.
You mean paying for players/stadium/training ground with his own money rather than your model of buying players with money you didn't have....yes I can see how that is exactly the same.

Shame on us.

:ffsparr:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You mean paying for players/stadium/training ground with his own money rather than your model of buying players with money you didn't have....yes I can see how that is exactly the same.

Shame on us.

:ffsparr:

I actually love the twist Essexeagle is putting on things, Palace were shafted by their owners, not, apparently, gross mismanagement and overspending and not a thought for those that were left out of pocket as they folded and reformed. Come on, it's a classic, poor Palace fans having to live with all that overspending with no consequences.TWICE. Poor sods

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I actually love the twist Essexeagle is putting on things, Palace were shafted by their owners, not, apparently, gross mismanagement and overspending and not a thought for those that were left out of pocket as they folded and reformed. Come on, it's a classic, poor Palace fans having to live with all that overspending with no consequences.TWICE. Poor sods

Long suffering lambs having to put up with Italian internationals like Lombardo whilst their owners didn't pay the bills......and we thought we had it rough.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Very good article from a top journalist its going to be grim with us trying to pick up a point here and there and the story does not end after the first season at the top,check with Blackburn,Bolton,Blackpool etc once the slide starts its very difficult

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ach, it's like a "Meet Brighton" for a national readership more likely than not unfamiliar with us! Pretty glowing if you look at it that way, bigging us up really.

I suppose so. It must have been quite refreshing for them to look at The Championship table. It will be back to normal next year though as the 6 team Premier League march on their merry way.

Franc46

Aug 17, 2015
I used to fall asleep watching Karanka being interviewed, he was a coma inducing bore who basically gets along on the coat tails of Mourinho, another bore.
We have CH, he knows the score; our recruitment was one of the main reasons for our recent success, & we have a head start on the play off winners where that is concerned.
Give me 4th from bottom now & I'll bite your hand off. If we do go down, TB is still the best thing that's ever happened to this club & also CH should stay!
And even J.M. does not want his best mate Karanka back

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Tony Bloom is a great chairman and fan..........but is also a shrewd businessman .
If we find ourselves in the bottom 3 at New Year , Hughton will be gone.........

Only if he gets a much better offer, which is unlikely if we are in the bottom 3. One thing is for sure, Tony Bloom will not sack Chris Hughton, even if we are rock bottom at Christmas.

Surely you do not need to be told this as it is perfectly evidenced by the way Bloom stuck by Sami Hyypia, when the latter was driving us at full-pelt into League One.

Also, something else which makes your last sentence odd is you earlier reference Bloom being shrewd, which no doubt he is...So, if we are heading for relegation Tony will not sack the single most important cog in the machine which will enhance an instant return to the Premier League.

Chris will be staying whatever happens next season...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I have to agree here. Logic would dictate that even if we did go down, the man to bring us back up is CH.

The only time this wouldn't apply is if he lost the dressing room completely : a la Ranieri

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here