Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Presumably you like to see a team that wins a title every now and then :shrug:

:lolol: true

To be honest, if someone likes to just watch footy on the tv and likes seeing a particular top team do well, so what? Where's the harm? What if you like American Football, are you not allowed to cheer on a team each year, and share their failure and success?

Yea that is fair enough. They are obviously just happy to sit in an arm chair and watch a team that they've never seen live and that's fair enough however as mentioned above saying stuff to a Brighton fan like that's an easy 6 points is just pathetic and cringing. It always seems to be the arm chair fan that has these views to "smaller clubs".

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That raises an interesting question. What is the correct Premier League etiquette for showing one's displeasure at away supporters in the home sections.

Depending on where in the ground and who they are obviously....

1 Withering stare possibly combined with a roll of the eyes or a *tut* :rolleyes:

2 Tell them to sit down/shut the f up. :censored:

3 Old school nawty (eg Goldstone BHA v Pompey) :catfight:

4 Ignore them and let stewards deal with any serious issues ???

5 Engage them in friendly banter all part of the modern matchday Prem experience :sick:

6 Other :shrug:

7 Scream for a policeman

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Away fans are the lads worth talking to, to be honest. Far too many tourists and day-trippers at the home games. Was guilty of this myself when I was working in London, I'd go to Fulham, or, when cheap/free tickets came my way, Spurs and Chelsea. I couldn't get to as many Newcastle games as I'd like, but tried to get every away game I could. The craic is better among away fans, they're more knowledgeable and more invested than the home set, on the whole.

You will be patronised everywhere you go mind. With all due respect, you're a "small" club to the fans of the sides tilting at the title and they'll expect 6pts from you, they'll expect to comfortably roll over you and they'll expect you to genuflect whenevr they deign to impart their wisdom.

Man Utd's away fans are top rate, to be fair, a lot of their 90s arrogance has been sanded away, but they travel in numbers, a lot will know more about your team than their home fans know about Man Utd. They also have plenty of chants and most are decent for a laugh. Man City fans are decent too.

A lot of the London clubs away fans can be right ********s. Their version of "banter" is a lot of tired cliches that they've lifted from talkSport or 606. they'll not be able to name your top scorer, let alone your fullbacks.

The Mackems have decent away fans, their home fans are proper parochial idiots though. Luckily enough you'll avoid them.

Stoke, Swansea, West Ham is hit and miss, the former two being more miss than hit. I think much of that is that they've been in the top flight a while and have the arrogance, without the team to back it up.

A lot of our own home fans go to the match because that's what they do on a Saturday, which is why the protests against Ashley didn't work very well. Hard to organise an impactful boycott when there'll still be 35k+ turning up whatever. They'll know a fair bit about Newcastle because we're a one club city, so our local papers are filled with stuff about us. Some will know a decent amount about Brighton because of this season, and the Hughton link. If we survive 17/18 they'll likely know much less about whomever comes up.

The way I see it, Brighton will be seen as a free hit for much of the top flight. Either through ignorance or arrogance. If you have spend 30 minutes chatting with a Premier league fan, you'll either get 5min of "banter", then a decent football chat for the rest. Or you'll endure 25 minutes of Cameron from Gillingham telling you how "Chelsea are the bestest team in the league ever and your muggy little club are shit", then 5 minutes asking you for directions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:wink:
however as mentioned above saying stuff to a Brighton fan like that's an easy 6 points is just pathetic and cringing.
Oh indeed, and they need a full barrage of abuse in return. While I think it's fair for them to want to sit at home and watch their plastic team on the TV, they should never ever talk of it.

I might invent a new club for myself so I can reply: 'well my plastic team is Madrid/Barca, and we've won x CL trophies, and beaten you x times'.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That raises an interesting question. What is the correct Premier League etiquette for showing one's displeasure at away supporters in the home sections.
:

When we (hopefully) score grab them with a big smile and bounce them up and down with you in the ensuing 'mental' because you've assumed they were BHA being in the home section. Alternatively make sure to accidentally catch them with the sharp of your elbow when raising and pumping your arms to celebrate a BHA goal.

(Disclaimer - other, more violent options are available.)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
:wink:
Oh indeed, and they need a full barrage of abuse in return. While I think it's fair for them to want to sit at home and watch their plastic team on the TV, they should never ever talk of it.

I might invent a new club for myself so I can reply: 'well my plastic team is Madrid/Barca, and we've won x CL trophies, and beaten you x times'.

Honestly this is my argument to them. Let's face it spurs have been shit for my whole life and have won f all. I've hardly had any bragging rights. However when my man u supporting friend takes the piss saying oh 19 titles, spurs will never come close, we beat you all the time, basically being an obnoxious tw@t etc etc i do reply you haven't even been to a game, you haven't even been to manchester (oh wait he did go once for a tour on the ground for his bday and had a picture with a trophy (how f ing sad, not even to watch a game) it feels that he only did this tour to show that he's a true man u fan lol.

I tell him you have simply just chosen man u as your team because of their success. Then to try and highlight HIS own logic of choosing a team, I then say well this week i am supporting real madrid we have won way more champions league titles and we are the best in Europe. They cannot comprehend me saying this is just like them. He replies well you don't support real madrid, but what difference is there between me suddenly supporting real madrid and him supporting man u? none of us have watched them play...

There is a lot of talk of plastics etc but in my experience no group of fans are worse than man u.

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Honestly this is my argument to them. Let's face it spurs have been shit for my whole life and have won f all. I've hardly had any bragging rights. However when my man u supporting friend takes the piss saying oh 19 titles, spurs will never come close, we beat you all the time, basically being an obnoxious tw@t etc etc i do reply you haven't even been to a game, you haven't even been to manchester (oh wait he did go once for a tour on the ground for his bday and had a picture with a trophy (how f ing sad, not even to watch a game) it feels that he only did this tour to show that he's a true man u fan lol.

I tell him you have simply just chosen man u as your team because of their success. Then to try and highlight HIS own logic of choosing a team, I then say well this week i am supporting real madrid we have won way more champions league titles and we are the best in Europe. They cannot comprehend me saying this is just like them. He replies well you don't support real madrid, but what difference is there between me suddenly supporting real madrid and him supporting man u? none of us have watched them play...

There is a lot of talk of plastics etc but in my experience no group of fans are worse than man u.

Just to add to this... i am very happy seeing man u's demise... horrid team, horrid fans.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Some people being a bit precious here. Throughout the last 20 years of under achievement, how many of us had a 2nd favourite premier league club to 'support'

I know I did.

You are not a football fan in the way I am.

Doesn't make you wrong of course - just different!

BTW I imagine this post has made it's way on to the Palace BBS site.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He replies well you don't support real madrid
Reply: "Well no, I don't properly support them by going to the games, I'm a plastic Madrid fan in the same way that you're a plastic Man U fan, and we're miles better than you."

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Some people being a bit precious here. Throughout the last 20 years of under achievement, how many of us had a 2nd favourite premier league club to 'support'

I know I did.

Nope but then I never felt shame in supporting the local team no matter what league we were in.

I was also secure in myself and didn't need to conform or fit in in the playground or pretend to be Ian Rush, Lineker or Alan Smith when playing Wembley or World Cup Doubles to get some sense of "yeah I'm with the in crowd".

Yep...........its Cowdenbeath !

Me too! The Blue Brazil!

My aunt used to live there. (Cowdenbeath, not Brazil)

The only other team whose result I look out for and the only reason is because my cousin and I got so fed up of going to away games and listening to the full classified results with James Alexander Gordon all the way down to the Scottish Second division that one week we decided to adopt the bottom two teams in the league to give the experience new meaning. He got Arbroath (Gayfield Park - *snigger as an 11 year old*) and I got Cowdenbeath.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
For the last few seasons I have supported a Premier League team. I've also changed my Premier League team every week. This week it will be Man City. Last week Burnley did me proud and the week before Spurs got me a result. I have had some fantastic results over the last twelve months, a highlight being an FA Cup Final win for my Manchester United boys. Unfortunately, the success hasn't fallen all in one season, so me and my teams look like losing out on our collective goal, however, just in case, I have also selected second and third Premier League teams to support for the rest of this season; Hull & Swansea. Its a very small outside bet, but I'm still dreaming of having some Championship sides to support next season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I know I did.

I don't get this. Despite being from London (where there are plenty to choose from), I have never even considered supporting a Premier League team as a 2nd favourite club. I do follow Barnet, as they were my local club growing up, but not sure that this is quite what you mean.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Working in London, I'm surrounded by Arsenal/Spurs\Chelsea and the odd Man U of course. They've all, seeing me disappear for games midweek, and hearing me talk about the club, been aware of what's been going on and are happy for me. I was even given a bottle of bubbly on the Tuesday after the Wigan game!

For my part, I don't mind the newbies or returners who buy season tickets. Their money is as good as anybody else's to the club. But there's one thing that they, and all the plastics, will never know. They'll never know what it means to have been there for the whole thing. What felt like an inexorable decline from about 1991, the mess of the 90s generally, seeing us lose the Goldstone and the club's soul, half time on the terrace at Hereford, putting up with Gillingham, fighting for the club's very existence. Then Withdean, then this. Everybody who was there for all of that had a feeling last Monday that the JCLs simply can't appreciate. I'm not saying we're better fans or anything, but part of me feels that those supporters have in all seriousness missed out on something that binds just a few thousand people in a feeling that can't be bought, can't be polished or sold by Sky, can't really adequately be explained. (I can't, anyway.) I almost feel a bit sorry for them, missing out on what that felt like.

I'm sure most of them won't give a damn, and will have enjoyed promotion hugely. Fair play - who wouldn't? But for a few thousand, it was just a bit more special than they'll ever realise, I think.
absolutely, without history there is no context. You have the surface of the promotion party but not the depth of feeling maybe that goes with it (not that I'm claiming to have been the best attendee in the world ever :D).

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think i have been crucified for my previous post quite a lot now.
I probably phrased it wrong. What I meant was, BHA has always been my favourite club, but when watching match of the day or a TV game, I had a passing interest in a certain premier league team .If that means I am not a 'super' fan as some people on here then so be it. Its all about opinions.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I think i have been crucified for my previous post quite a lot now.
I probably phrased it wrong. What I meant was, BHA has always been my favourite club, but when watching match of the day or a TV game, I had a passing interest in a certain premier league team .If that means I am not a 'super' fan as some people on here then so be it. Its all about opinions.

What team? :lol:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Palace. Na just joking. Liverpool, just because they were winning multiple European cups when I was a kid.

I was going to say Liverpool...

I just really really hate all northern teams... not sure why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here