Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
you fellas really ought to be raving about kamasi washington's new EP or the new thundercat album. or failing that joey badass. we live in hope i think i'm an outlier here maybe with [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]

Really enjoyed Thundercat on Jools couple of weeks back. Will give KW a go.

Vaguely in this genre I really loved the new Childish Gambino album. Great vibe to it.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
My musical adviser for all things street (my 12year old son) rates JBA higher than kendrick. he now flatters to deceive. from DAMN. pride is magnificent but not a patch otherwise on good kid, mad city which is truly amazing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you fellas really ought to be raving about kamasi washington's new EP or the new thundercat album. or failing that joey badass. we live in hope i think i'm an outlier here maybe with [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]

Kamasi is playing MELT! Festival this year. I'm planning to check him out; the missus mentioned she likes him.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My musical adviser for all things street (my 12year old son) rates JBA higher than kendrick. he now flatters to deceive. from DAMN. pride is magnificent but not a patch otherwise on good kid, mad city which is truly amazing.

I'm no expert but since gk,mc it seems to me Kendrick is trying to be too clever for his own good at the expense of the tunes, like Kanye post- Graduation (though I do have a big personal soft spot for the ridiculousness of MBDTF.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
he is the future of jazz Mr T. Did i mention that we saw his first european date in amsterdam a while back and I told him he'd be a star? " no way man, this is europe"

That's a cool tale. I hope you get an opportunity to meet him again....and remind him of your prediction!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm no expert but since gk,mc it seems to me Kendrick is trying to be too clever for his own good at the expense of the tunes, like Kanye post- Graduation (though I do have a big personal soft spot for the ridiculousness of MBDTF.)

Kanye MASSIVELY disappeared up his own arse, can't think of a better example of The Emperor's New Clothes. He could fart into a bucket for 2 hours and it would still win a Grammy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looove her. Saw her at TGE 3 years ago in the kemptown church just after her first 12" release. It was my album of the year 2016. She's not played down here since (apart from TGE last year which I now avoid).

Heard it for first time this week. Was quite blown away by it.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
you fellas really ought to be raving about kamasi washington's new EP or the new thundercat album. or failing that joey badass. we live in hope i think i'm an outlier here maybe with @<a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=29779" target="_blank">Whitechapel</a>

I'm really far behind on releases this year, I've been slacking big time. I'll give them all a listen over the weekend though and get back to you.

FWIW, my favourite releasethis year has probably been Real Deal - The Mount Oliver Project.

Give that a whirl and see if you like it. Can't think of many songs with artists from 5 different countries on.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

agree with that! he gets bad press but has some tremendous moments does KW

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I'm really far behind on releases this year, I've been slacking big time. I'll give them all a listen over the weekend though and get back to you.

FWIW, my favourite releasethis year has probably been Real Deal - The Mount Oliver Project.

Give that a whirl and see if you like it. Can't think of many songs with artists from 5 different countries on.

oh i like that, never heard of them either so thanks!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
oh i like that, never heard of them either so thanks!

I'm not surprised. All 5 artists on the track are better known as battle rappers than as recording artists! (Although Tony D used to be part of an old collective called Poisonous Poets which included Lowkey and Doc Brown.)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
London Grammar - 'Rooting For You'
Geoff Barrow thought this sounded like an Elaine Paige b-side. A bit harsh but I can see where he's coming from. The emotion is all a bit forced but she's got a cracking voice if only she'd lay off the warbling a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqhgXAGP4Ho

I'm with Geoff. Can't stand this lot and their false emoting. Adele at her most self-indulgent mixed with the XX's boring bits.

I can only see them getting bigger though. Thus is exactly the sort of thing the great British public likes.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Enjoying that Will Stratton album, which is west coast with a bit of Nick Drake thrown in.
Better still, I've just discovered Brutalism by Idles, which will feature highly in my AotY. Proper, straight-edged punk, with lyrics that make it seem vital, and not far off Sleaford Mods in terms of relevance.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm with Geoff. Can't stand this lot and their false emoting. Adele at her most self-indulgent mixed with the XX's boring bits.

I can only see them getting bigger though. Thus is exactly the sort of thing the great British public likes.

Yup. I'm with you on all of this. There is no denying she has a superb voice but there seems to be an over-arching need to emote. Compare and contrast with another young female British singer who also has a superb voice- Lapsley. There's something of Kate Bush or Alison Moyet about Lapsley.

Must get back into my music. I've neglected it of late although both my sons have badgered and bullied me into buying Mac DeMarco's new album and i'll be listening to this tonight. Their love of him surprised me to be honest. One of the benefits of having teenage sons is that they can point me towards music that just doesn't hit my radar and they've certainly done that but it's also quite nice when they like music and artists that I've introduced to them.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Another from the forthcoming LP. I do like a well written love song.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here