Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Leavers

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Every person has their own reason for staying or leaving. It's absolutely nothing to do with anybody else. Murray was probably frustrated that he had an average game in our biggest game of the season to date.

As said above it happens at every ground in the country every week.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It is disappointing but it's connected to the elephant in the room at the Amex that the transport infrastructure remains a huge problem, and leaving early is one way of dealing with that problem.

There is some truth in this. But also a lot of myth. If people take into account that they're going to an event with a crowd of 30,000 people, is it really that surprising that it's not a bad idea to turn up half an hour before kick-off and might take half an hour to get away? There are many, many grounds where this is exactly the same.

I left after applauding all the players off the pitch last night and was still back in Hove just after 10.30pm. That's always tended to be the same whether I drive or catch the train.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There is some truth in this. But also a lot of myth. If people take into account that they're going to an event with a crowd of 30,000 people, is it really that surprising that it's not a bad idea to turn up half an hour before kick-off and might take half an hour to get away?
Very difficult to get there any earlier if work never allows early leavers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is it, exactly. Too many supporters, sitting down expecting to be entertained. Not enough fans, who will get on their feet and follow their team through thick and thin. The demographics at the Amex would also terrify me if I was involved in long term planning at the club. #Old #White #Middle Class #Fickle

Stupid post of the year alert.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Very difficult to get there any earlier if work never allows early leavers.

Can be. Although I've often still managed to get to games by 7.30pm having finished work near Heathrow at 5.30pm - even on a Friday. And afterwards?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Patronising ****.

I am old, white middle class, and have supported this club putting my hard earned money into this club I love for 43 years. I have never left early so take your prejudices and shove them
Yeah, me too. Saw plenty of young, white and presumably poor (?) lads leaving the North with ten minutes left last night.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
As said above it happens at every ground in the country every week.

It doesn't though. Not to the extent that it happens at the Amex, anyway. Whether that is because of the demographic of our support or the transport, or a bit of both, it seems to be worse than anywhere else for it.

It would really annoy me if I was a player and when I was fighting desperately to get an equalise in the last minute, half the fans were streaming out of the ground. Not exactly #together, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It doesn't though. Not to the extent that it happens at the Amex, anyway. Whether that is because of the demographic of our support or the transport, or a bit of both, it seems to be worse than anywhere else for it/QUOTE]

It does. I see it at away games and I see it on Match of the Day.

C

CT1

Why does it bother some people so much? Don't understand.

Because we are there to support the players. We complain that as supporters we get called customers, yet feel entitled to walk out when we aren't satisfied with the teams performance. We act like customers, so we'll get treated as such.

Try being loyal to the players despite the score for a change. Who knows, maybe we could have encouraged them to run that extra yard after they had ran themselves into the ground. That extra yard makes so much difference in games like these, which are won and lost on the smallest of margins.

Everyone who walked out in reaction to the equaliser and then winner should be ashamed in themselves. Finally please don't use the old train excuse. Find it hard to believe that thousands planned to leave on the exact second that the goals went in. Disgraceful.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because we are there to support the players. We complain that as supporters we get called customers, yet feel entitled to walk out when we aren't satisfied with the teams performance. We act like customers, so we'll get treated as such.

Try being loyal to the players despite the score for a change. Who knows, maybe we could have encouraged them to run that extra yard after they had ran themselves into the ground. That extra yard makes so much difference in games like these, which are won and lost on the smallest of margins.

Everyone who walked out in reaction to the equaliser and then winner should be ashamed in themselves. Finally please don't use the old train excuse. Find it hard to believe that thousands planned to leave on the exact second that the goals went in. Disgraceful.

This 100%. Especially the customer part.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It doesn't though. Not to the extent that it happens at the Amex, anyway. Whether that is because of the demographic of our support or the transport, or a bit of both, it seems to be worse than anywhere else for it.

It would really annoy me if I was a player and when I was fighting desperately to get an equalise in the last minute, half the fans were streaming out of the ground. Not exactly #together, is it?

Well we can't really say if our leavers outnumber other teams leavers because we are not there.

As for #together not everybody buys into manufactured bullshit served up by modern day football clubs.

I think the most important thing regarding our supporters is that they show up in great numbers game after game.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It does. I see it at away games and I see it on Match of the Day.

Not to the same extent. People leaving early, yes, but the ground was literally half empty before the final whistle went last night. I can almost understand it if we're 3-0 down or even 3-0 up, but 2-1 down in a top of the table clash with a few minutes to go? Are these people new to football or something? Last minute goals are the best part of the sport, why are thousands of people prepared to miss potentially the best moments of the season for the sake of getting home 20 minutes earlier? It's just weird.

People don't get up and leave the cinema or the theatre with five minutes to go, so why the football?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The trains weren't a problem last night but the buses were. Before you jump down mine and pasty's throat, we both stayed to the end.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not to the same extent. People leaving early, yes, but the ground was literally half empty before the final whistle went last night. I can almost understand it if we're 3-0 down or even 3-0 up, but 2-1 down in a top of the table clash with a few minutes to go? Are these people new to football or something? Last minute goals are the best part of the sport, why are thousands of people prepared to miss potentially the best moments of the season for the sake of getting home 20 minutes earlier? It's just weird.

People don't get up and leave the cinema or the theatre with five minutes to go, so why the football?

Half empty? Why were you looking at the crowd instead of the game? I didn't notice how many had left so maybe I'm a better fan than you?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
IF we only had early leavers due to defeats, then there is an argument to be had.

However, we have early leavers win, lose or draw. I didn't think there was any more significant early leaving last night than there was against Reading, or other games?

If anything, more people had stayed than they normally do, and when the winner went in, they left together rather than in dribs and drabs like normal home games.

Bumper crowd too. Reckon if we'd still been 1-0 there would have been similar numbers making for the exists. Been the same for 5 years.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why does it bother some people so much? Don't understand.

This. Get on with your own way of supporting the club. Perhaps those moaning about it would prefer they didn't turn up in the first place and we have a half empty stadium for most of the game but of course that would then upset those on the other thread who seem to spend their life counting how many seats are left for sale as each game approaches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here