Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough verdict: Fans unlawfully killed

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The Times covers the Hillsborough story quite dramatically on its front page tomorrow...

Cg_7ptjWMAIytkS.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think what hurts for many of us that watched football during that era was it could have been anyone of us who may have suffered in this disgraceful incident that for some reason the authorities wished to try and cover up.

Words fail me at times that these poor victims and their families really have suffered so much when really they should have been given support and counselling during possibly the darkest period of English football.

I think had I been directly involved I would have been deflated at the verdict today basically as to why this has taken so long to prove what was very obvious right from the start.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
South Yorkshire Police Force should be disbanded ?.

Somewhat harsh as hopefully they have moved on, what was interesting is that a Police force requires a licence to be one, I think Derbyshire Police Force at sone point had this licence revoked.

The most important point regarding South Yorkshire Police is that those in charge should be held to account for errors in judgement but alas I suspect this will not happen.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
And more tellingly, here's the Sun's front page tomorrow...

Cg_7UqsWYAAwgkZ.jpg

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Somewhat harsh as hopefully they have moved on, what was interesting is that a Police force requires a licence to be one, I think Derbyshire Police Force at sone point had this licence revoked.

The most important point regarding South Yorkshire Police is that those in charge should be held to account for errors in judgement but alas I suspect this will not happen.

But the Barrister for South Yorkshire Police (paid for by the tax payer I assume) was peddling the same lies right up until his closing argument a few days ago. How can that be right?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But the Barrister for South Yorkshire Police (paid for by the tax payer I assume) was peddling the same lies right up until his closing argument a few days ago. How can that be right?

It is not correct however as a barrister he is paid to defend his client

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
And more tellingly, here's the Sun's front page tomorrow...

attachment.php

If you ever needed an excuse to stop reading this despicable piece of sh1t, this is it. This rag was responsible for how Liverpool supporters were perceived by millions of people but doesn't deem it necessary to right it's wrong. Hypocritical David Cameron texting more important than a 27 year fight for the truth.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
attachment.php

Attachments

• 13048189_1551231721840776_677033522869757652_o.jpg
    13048189_1551231721840776_677033522869757652_o.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,043

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Those that have mentioned Heysel as a factor in a rush to pre-judge Liverpool fans ( and I am one of those ) did so as a natural reaction to living through those dark days of the 70's and 80's, when thuggery and violence at football matches was commonplace. Stadiums ( some built pre-war ) were starting to crumble and there were accidents and disasters just waiting to happen. Liverpool were the most successful team of the age and their popular support grew to massive proportions. Their level of support overwhelmed their ticket allocations and thousands would turn up to games, ticketless but determined to get in by hook or by crook. I witnessed it first hand. Scaling walls and fences, crawling under turnstiles and breaking down gates. It happened and it tarnished their proud reputation.
On the 29 May 1985, 39 fans ( mostly Italian ) died at a ramshackle, edifice in Brussels, called, politely, the Heysel Stadium. They were charged by Liverpool fans and a wall collapsed, crushing many and leaving 600 injured. Following an enquiry, the blame was laid squarely at the door of Liverpool fans. 14 were found guilty of manslaughter and were jailed. English football clubs were banned from competing in Europe for 5 years and on Merseyside, there was ( in the words of Rogan Taylor ).." desperate, desperate shame and depression "..." people were ashamed to face up to the uncomfortable reality of hooliganism "...." it was a stab in the heart for the city "..." a black, black day "
Only four years later, Hillsborough happened. Heysel was so raw in the memory that people jumped to the same conclusion. Too many fans outside, many ticketless and drunk. Gates stormed, crush ensued. Simple. Fans get the blame again, from authorities and the general public, who know no better. Same old, same old. Except for one thing. A passionate and resolute desire for justice that took 27 years of heartache, torment and resolve. Eventually the truth is eked out, tiny bit by tiny bit and those of us guilty of pre-judgement have to take a deep breath, admit our mistake and support those who deserve it.
Hillsborough, in time, will have justice meted out. Heysel won't. The authorities who decided to host the biggest game in Europe inside a tiny decrepit stadium, have never been brought to account. The appalling policing and stewarding of the game. The complete failure to segregate. The price that football had to pay because Heysel was brushed under the carpet. Those in control of Liverpool FC at the time, did not do enough. Whether it was embarrassment or shame, who knows but to this day, a tiny plaque, inside the club museum and a shirt worn by Kenny Dalglish is insufficient respect compared to Hillsborough.
The lesson wasn't learnt at Heysel. Lets hope that Hillsborough shows the way forward.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Just recently, someone in Lancing objected to the stand being built at the training ground for U21 matches, citing 'loud mouth yobs will attend'.

Good point, Thunder Bolt; reminds me of an objection to us being allowed to play at Withdean. "People will die" said some idiot. Well, those that did sadly died of natural causes, as we were reminded the other day after the Fulham match, and not at the hands of their fellow fans. The fact that some people can still think like this shows what a good job the press, politicians and thought police have done over the years. Accepting the words of authority figures without question is the top of a very slippery slope. RIP The Ninety-Six.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good point, Thunder Bolt; reminds me of an objection to us being allowed to play at Withdean. "People will die" said some idiot. Well, those that did sadly died of natural causes, as we were reminded the other day after the Fulham match, and not at the hands of their fellow fans. The fact that some people can still think like this shows what a good job the press, politicians and thought police have done over the years. Accepting the words of authority figures without question is the top of a very slippery slope. RIP The Ninety-Six.

This was on the Goldstone Ground Facebook page today - a report from the Sun's sister paper NOTW about the York game.

"Rampaging fans turned Brighton into a war zone yesterday in sickening scenes that shamed soccer. The Goldstone Ground erupted into violence as thousands of fans stormed across the pitch – smashing both sets of goalposts and forcing the game against York to be abandoned after just 16 minutes.
Riot police battled to control the mob, and one injured fan was stretchered to hospital as advertising hoardings and metal billboards were hurled into the stands.
FA director of communications David Davies last night promised an immediate investigation.
He said: ‘Everybody who cares about football will condemn behaviour like this, whatever the reason. It is obviously unhelpful that this happened so near to Euro ’96.’
After swarming on to the pitch, fans charged up the players’ tunnel and attempted to smash into the dressing rooms.
The dug-out and tunnel were wrecked as fans screamed for the men who run Brighton – David Bellotti, Greg Stanley and Bill Archer – to quit.
Terrified parents rushed crying children to safety and one distraught fan, June Whiston, 45, sobbed: ‘I’ve been a fan since I was at school but now I’m ashamed.’".

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
all of this
and cynical as I am I have never trusted any of these

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here