Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 Games Left - Loan Striker?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Unless Bob or Tomer suffer an injury in the next nine days, there is precisely no chance that we will sign another striker.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Above average then.

IMHO:

Sir Bobby - legend, but can't do 90 mins often enough (sadly).
Tomer - good, not great.

Sam B - average (great team player, doesn't score enough).
James W - on upward curve, young, inconsistent, definitely 'has something'.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
IMHO:

Tomer - good, not great.

Its remarkable how they've scored 25 goals this season. How did that happen ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless Bob or Tomer suffer an injury in the next nine days, there is precisely no chance that we will sign another striker.

Have we not learnt any lesson from the injuries to GB and LR it is odds on that Bob or Tomer will get injured against Burnley after the loan deadline.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I know what his post said, thank you. I read it - rather more carefully than you, it seems.

Nowhere did he say anything about what people had said. He stated that he thought some of the people clamouring for a new striker hoped or expected to see us score 6 goals every game. That is a factual statement of what he thought. If you choose to twist it and turn it and add inn bits that aren't there to suit your own personal gripe, fine, but please don't suggest I'm incapable of reading and understanding English.
Anyway, I can see you're trying to start the proverbial argument in a phone box, so I'll just say good luck and cheerio. Best pick a red one - the red keeps the right mood up longer!

So, you are saying I'm twisting his words, but seem unable to do anything but twist mine? Enjoy your retreat. :bigwave:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have to say I can't argue with your stance, I just don't feel it is the only option, to bring in a new striker and expect them to hit the ground running, in Murray's case someone who has hardly had any game time of late!

A hypothetical, you're TB, it's Saturday the 19th March and BHA have 8 games to go (MK Dons was a 1-1 draw).
You've got the cash to bring in someone on loan for 6-7 weeks if needed.
You've no new injuries and Zamora played 60 minutes and scored in the 1-1 draw against MK.
The transfer window closes 5 in 5 days.
What would you do?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Already discussed in the post to which I was replying. The clue is in 'the other option'. Keep up!

I thought you'd gone!? Shame you're still here. More often than not, acquiring a top striker has the desired effect. Just because AK / JR is not currently working, doesn't mean we shouldn't strengthen our strike-force. You are the one that needs to keep up (when you get back).

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
IMHO:

Tomer - good, not great.

Can't help think it is exactly this attitude that led Gus and possibly the board to judge our League One winning strike force with the same apparent underrating.

It is Hemed's first season in English football, there may well be more to come. Not everyone will see Baldock's contributions, they will just see his lack of goals, but this Saviour Murray chap scored just 6 goals in 37 appearances in his first season at a new club in the Championship. He then went 30 in 42 to the following season. It is a funny only business scoring goals.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Baldock is one player I wouldn't be dropping at the moment. His talent is being obscured by people's inability to look past just the goals scored. He brings a huge amount to the table. Funnily enough, he would be a superb foil to someone like Murray, same as he's been for Hemed and Wilson.

This is the root of the argument. I CAN see what Sam B brings to the team, but, for me, it is not enough to counter-balance his lack of goals. He is a striker after all, so it IS his PRIMARY role (to score).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A hypothetical, you're TB, it's Saturday the 19th March and BHA have 8 games to go (MK Dons was a 1-1 draw).
You've no new injuries and Zamora played 60 minutes and scored in the 1-1 draw against MK.
What would you do?

If the manager told me there was someone he wanted and they were available, then I'd get them in.

Those factors being met are probably very unlikely at this stage of the season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Again, you state it like fact. Also, Sir Bob IS injured.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Its remarkable how they've scored 25 goals this season. How did that happen ?

Pure luck! ;-)

Seriously, 25 from 4 strikers is not great, is it? Average of just over 6... hmmmm... not good enough for a top 2 club IMHO...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Then that would be too late to sign a replacement.

And we will be stuffed. I like your logic.

No one can deny that Murray would strengthen our chances when we take into account the high probability of unforeseen circumstances lying ahead. One bad injury and that will mean the playoffs and being weak in the playoffs.

I don't know if you don't want him here, or you just don't believe it will happen? Can you clarify your position?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is the root of the argument. I CAN see what Sam B brings to the team, but, for me, it is not enough to counter-balance his lack of goals. He is a striker after all, so it IS his PRIMARY role (to score).

The root of the argument really is that we're second with this squad. It hasn't done so drastically bad that there should be in desperation to change it for the last 9 games. I don't disagree that any strengthening of our forward line for the run in would be a positive, but then neither I am so disparaging of our current forward line that I believe our season is dependent on it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What would you do?

If the manager told me there was someone he wanted and they were available, then I'd get them in.

Those factors being met are probably very unlikely at this stage of the season.

I may not have been as clear as I needed to be.

Same hypothetical, all of the above, however you are the Manager and the Chairman has agreed to spend on 1 emergency loan transfer for the rest of the season if required.
The Chairman has also expressed his desire to get promoted this season.

What do you do?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can't help think it is exactly this attitude that led Gus and possibly the board to judge our League One winning strike force with the same apparent underrating.

It is Hemed's first season in English football, there may well be more to come. Not everyone will see Baldock's contributions, they will just see his lack of goals, but this Saviour Murray chap scored just 6 goals in 37 appearances in his first season at a new club in the Championship. He then went 30 in 42 to the following season. It is a funny only business scoring goals.

That's true. To repeat, there are no guarantees; it's all about maximizing our chances of going up, not guaranteeing it. We could sign Aguero and struggle for goals!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
And we will be stuffed. I like your logic.

No one can deny that Murray would strengthen our chances when we take into account the high probability of unforeseen circumstances lying ahead. One bad injury and that will mean the playoffs and being weak in the playoffs.

I don't know if you don't want him here, or you just don't believe it will happen? Can you clarify your position?

It's ok: Elvis will be back for the play-offs. Problem solved.

Err both I suppose. I don't want him back and I don't believe it will happen. Hope that helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here