Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You seem to have mispelled 'wankers'.

Latest update here, is that CRISPS has actually cut back on crisps. Possibly down to one standard bag per day now of those.

This is because she has discovered P O P C O R N.

SACKS of POPCORN.

Those bags of popcorn take AGES to eat, and it is a FAR messier sight than someone eating crisps. Does she spend the next 30 minutes PICKING bits of popcorn out of her teeth?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People, more specifically men, who whilst you are having a conversation with them, put there hands behind the head and elbows out to the side, like neanderthal gorillas. There were two plums both doing this whilst chatting in my office earlier!

Bet I can guess who! The the level of bellcheesyness may have slipped there slightly as NSC was blocked when I worked there.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
People, more specifically men, who whilst you are having a conversation with them, put there hands behind the head and elbows out to the side, like neanderthal gorillas. There were two plums both doing this whilst chatting in my office earlier!

This is a classic for students of body language, and it's very amusing to watch. It's the same principle as a peacock spreading its feathers out to look big and important, often accompanied by the spreading of the legs. If one man does it to another, it's an attempt to assert seniority and power. The other male, if up to the challenge, will do the same back until one of them (the loser, although they're probably both losers) backs down. If neither back down, they may supplement their posture by yawning ostentatiously (the equivalent of roaring or baring teeth). It's like watching a nature programme. Next time you see it, I would just enjoy it like you're watching TV and clock all the little things they do to show their superiority - it's actually very funny in its primitiveness: your description of "neanderthal" is entirely apt.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Bet I can guess who! The the level of bellcheesyness may have slipped there slightly as NSC was blocked when I worked there.

You may be surprised!

This is a classic for students of body language, and it's very amusing to watch. It's the same principle as a peacock spreading its feathers out to look big and important, often accompanied by the spreading of the legs. If one man does it to another, it's an attempt to assert seniority and power. The other male, if up to the challenge, will do the same back until one of them (the loser, although they're probably both losers) backs down. If neither back down, they may supplement their posture by yawning ostentatiously (the equivalent of roaring or baring teeth). It's like watching a nature programme. Next time you see it, I would just enjoy it like you're watching TV and clock all the little things they do to show their superiority - it's actually very funny in its primitiveness: your description of "neanderthal" is entirely apt.

Yep absolutely, I appreciate the ‘psychology’ going on and on the one hand it is kind of interesting and/or amusing, but on the other hand it’s incredibly cringy.

You’re right too about the 'Mexican stand-off' when two wannabe alphas go head to head, I think these normally end in some kind of messy stalemate though, after the legs have been spread there isn’t much left to offer!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You may be surprised!

Yep absolutely, I appreciate the ‘psychology’ going on and on the one hand it is kind of interesting and/or amusing, but on the other hand it’s incredibly cringy.

You’re right too about the 'Mexican stand-off' when two wannabe alphas go head to head, I think these normally end in some kind of messy stalemate though, after the legs have been spread there isn’t much left to offer!

To be fair, I think I usually do it because my back hurts.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I think these normally end in some kind of messy stalemate though, after the legs have been spread there isn’t much left to offer!

There's quite a lot of ammunition left: checking a mobile phone, texting someone mid conversation, waving/saying hello to someone else passing by, looking at a watch, etc - any kind of sign of being bored, sidetracked, popular, etc whilst still maintaining the idiotic pose. My favourite person to watch doing this in the office is quite short and has bad sweat stains under his armpits. He usually backs down quite quickly when attacking though, which makes me wonder why he bothers....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This annoys me but not sure whether it should. I work in a 'hot desking' environment, meaning no-one has an assigned desk and we all move around the section depending on whose in. It's great most of the time and helps with flexible working. Two issues though :

1. People claiming they are 'special' so get their own desk due to bad backs, necks or other spurious illnesses which mean they have to have special chairs (usually plastered with enormous notices like 'this is Daphne's chair. DO NOT ADJUST SETTINGS'. FFS the chairs are ADJUSTABLE, you can easily return it to your own settings

2. The small minority who spend literally 15 mins disinfecting the desk and everything on it with antiseptic wipes if someone else has used it previously

Probably irrational irritation, but there you go. Thanks for listening

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
This annoys me but not sure whether it should. I work in a 'hot desking' environment, meaning no-one has an assigned desk and we all move around the section depending on whose in. It's great most of the time and helps with flexible working. Two issues though :

1. People claiming they are 'special' so get their own desk due to bad backs, necks or other spurious illnesses which mean they have to have special chairs (usually plastered with enormous notices like 'this is Daphne's chair. DO NOT ADJUST SETTINGS'. FFS the chairs are ADJUSTABLE, you can easily return it to your own settings

2. The small minority who spend literally 15 mins disinfecting the desk and everything on it with antiseptic wipes if someone else has used it previously

Probably irrational irritation, but there you go. Thanks for listening

Number 1 is one of my pet peeves - even in an office where people have permanent desks, it still annoys me. In a previous office, we had a lady who used to have such a sign on the back of her chair because of a bad back (fair enough, you might say), but she used to hang her jacket over the back of her chair. She'd then get really annoyed if a visitor to the office borrowed her chair. However, it did give her an excuse to then spend the next 20 minutes pissing about with the settings and getting sod all work done.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
However, it did give her an excuse to then spend the next 20 minutes pissing about with the settings and getting sod all work done.

In my last office, someone used to occasionally tell the Daphne there that her chair had been sat in / changed when it hadn't. And yes, she'd spend 20 minutes changing it "back" to some other setting before declaring it perfect and muttering about the (non-existent) changer.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've just started a new job so I have a whole new set of cheeses to monitor.

The least appealing so far has been the guy randomly wondering over 'just to see what you are up to" and then imparting some unrequested wisdom/insight despite no one actually asking him to........ and he rides one of those one wheel motorised things.....and he has a ponytail....bellcheese.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've just started a new job so I have a whole new set of cheeses to monitor.

The least appealing so far has been the guy randomly wondering over 'just to see what you are up to" and then imparting some unrequested wisdom/insight despite no one actually asking him to........ and he rides one of those one wheel motorised things.....and he has a ponytail....bellcheese.

I honestly cannot picture what you are talking about here - do you mean some kind of motorised unicycle ? And he rides it in the OFFICE ?

If thats the case, that really is a whole new level of bellcheesery.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Just seen this thread, and had a mither today.

People who are so important that they feel the need to turn around and glare at you if you dare to sneeze, sniff or cough when you have a cold. Because it's very unreasonable to have a cold at this time of the year!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I honestly cannot picture what you are talking about here - do you mean some kind of motorised unicycle ? And he rides it in the OFFICE ?

If thats the case, that really is a whole new level of bellcheesery.

This.

I'm wondering if [MENTION=7271]Postman Pat[/MENTION] works at Google HQ, or some kind of WANKY advertising company?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nothing much to add here today. Crisps and noise machine both fairly inoffensive, by their standards.

Only BELL of the day is one of my engineers, who is off work, not because he is actually ill, but because he "had a headache* last night so couldn't sleep, so he's too TIRED to come in today"

*Obviously he termed it, a 'migraine'.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Nothing much to add here today. Crisps and noise machine both fairly inoffensive, by their standards.

Only BELL of the day is one of my engineers, who is off work, not because he is actually ill, but because he "had a headache* last night so couldn't sleep, so he's too TIRED to come in today"

*Obviously he termed it, a 'migraine'.

Irony, whenever I have a Migraine I my body shuts down and will do nothing but sleep or throw up. For some people, including other half, they can be the most debilitating condition. Feel sorry for O/H because she gets very severe attacks literally every other day, and she doesn't complain at all. She works through it.

When I get them, I can have anything from loss of vision to nausea to mood aggressive mood swings to inability to think/say/do anything rationally. Even affects movement at times. They're prevented easily enough, but are still a complete Ba*d to live with.

That being said, it is one of the most frequently abused ailments too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My mother used to get migraines regularly.... I picked up some Excedrin when in the US for her to try and she found it stopped the migraine in its tracks. She eventually worked out it was caused by chocolate/cocoa.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This.

I'm wondering if [MENTION=7271]Postman Pat[/MENTION] works at Google HQ, or some kind of WANKY advertising company?

The telltale presence of a ponytail would suggest that wouldn't it. What is it they say about lifting up a ponytail - underneath, there will ALWAYS be an a-hole.

(damn swear filter)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here