Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwich City Accounts: Why Pritchard chose them instead of the Albion?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hindsight is always the best sight, but at the time double wages or more and a more realistic chance of going up seemed a no brainer to him , that it went wrong makes it all the more funny and his not signing didn't make a jot of difference to us

Was it a more realistic chance of going up? Where they much better than us at the time?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was it a more realistic chance of going up? Where they much better than us at the time?

How do you assess the chance? I can see only two ways:

1. Hindsight. We did and they didn't. He was wrong, but didn't have the benefit of that at the time.
2. Betting odds. Norwich were a shorter price than us for promotion before the season started (https://betting.betfair.com/footbal...otion-relegation-odds-2016-17-280716-601.html)

Regardless, there's not many players that would choose considerably less money over more. I know I wouldn't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pritchard = £8m
Gross = £3m

:clap:

In this weeks Totally Football podcast someone asked if Sead Kolasinac (free Transfer) was the best VFM signing, this Summer.
The talking heads chuntered on a bit without fully committing to the idea.

Naturally much later in the programme the Albion/Gross came up and boom, unsurprisingly I guess, Rafa Honigstein was all over the fact the pound for pound Gross was the Premier Leagues best value Summer signing.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

1. Hindsight. We did and they didn't. He was wrong, but didn't have the benefit of that at the time.
2. Betting odds. Norwich were a shorter price than us for promotion before the season started (https://betting.betfair.com/footbal...otion-relegation-odds-2016-17-280716-601.html)

Regardless, there's not many players that would choose considerably less money over more. I know I wouldn't.

Of course, no one would begrudge him or anyone else that, it was just the way it transpired, with Norwich hijacking the deal and IIRC not having agreed a fee with Spurs, that left a bit of a nasty taste.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Agree.

But if that was the case it wasn't really a "football decision". And that's the best bit, they offered him more money, he took it then tried to say that wasn't the reason he went.

If it was just a "football decision" then he will be hurting even more as the money doesn't matter.......

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont understand the concern over the price of Pritchard as it was widely reported that we were going to pay in excess of £8m and I dont know but wouldnt think that their average wage is much higher if it is, than ours . No doubt somebody will give more details.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I dont understand the concern over the price of Pritchard as it was widely reported that we were going to pay in excess of £8m and I dont know but wouldnt think that their average wage is much higher if it is, than ours . No doubt somebody will give more details.

Did you not read the OP BG ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree.

But if that was the case it wasn't really a "football decision". And that's the best bit, they offered him more money, he took it then tried to say that wasn't the reason he went.

If it was just a "football decision" then he will be hurting even more as the money doesn't matter.......

A football or money it doesn't matter either way, pilchard and his AGENT are losing, big time.

The promotion caveats he's currently holding onto aren't really worth much at the moment.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Two points from me:

1. Because Norwich were only 1 season in the EPL, their parachute payments expire after this season, so they are in the last chance saloon in that regard.
2. Gross's £3m clause almost certainly will have meant he received a compensatory signing-on fee from us that captured much of the difference between his market value and £3m.

PG

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Norwich City published their accounts at 6am. The headline figures are (with Albion 2016 figures for comparison in brackets):

Income £75.3million (£24.6m)

Of which, parachute payments/broadcast income £50.5 million (£5.9m)

Gain on player sales £11.9 million (£1.2 m)

Loss before tax £3.1 million (£25.9m)

Staff costs £55.1 million (£27.4m)

Average weekly wage £28,200 (£14,000)

Cost of new players £19.9 million (£9.1 m)

Payoff to CEO who left because he couldn't agree with Delia £712,000 (NIL)

Severance payments to sacked manager and other staff £3.6 million (NIL)

Final position in table 8th (2nd (P))

That is all.

Looking forward to the Wednesday accounts from you and Villa. Be interesting to see what figure Villa paid for Calderwood.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did you not read the OP BG ?

Yes I did and noticed that the average wage was considerably lower but then (a) he wouldnt have been offered an average wage, (b) it has been suggested on here that we had players on well over that figure (c) it would have only been short term as I am sure the avaerage is now higher.

The average obviously can be brought down if we have a number of young players on a low wage. At one of our first games at The Amex a chap was on the train from Lewes saying he was Lewis Dunks uncle nd swore that he was on less than £1000 a week in fact he said £850, He obviously isnt now but I wonder if we do actually pay young players a low wage to keep their feet on the ground.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Pritchard = £8m
Gross = £3m

:clap:

Gross' wages aren't lower than Pritchard's, are they? What we see with our eyes tells us that they can't be but, then again, they might be. If they're not, I'd suggest Barber ought to use this thread as an opportunity to offer him a wage hike.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Of which, parachute payments/broadcast income £50.5 million (£5.9m)

Utterly crazy if you want a 'fair' competition...... but then I guess many don't.

Money rarely seems to go on old wages and instead clubs 'earn' even more by selling off players and then spunk a lot of it on new wages.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
We were going to pay around £5-£6 million as we had a deal with Levy. Norwich didn't and therefore had to pay north of £8 million

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Utterly crazy if you want a 'fair' competition...... but then I guess many don't.

Money rarely seems to go on old wages and instead clubs 'earn' even more by selling off players and then spunk a lot of it on new wages.

I agree that it is wrong but how do you control it short of adding a maximum wage limit for new signings as part of the parachute payments. Break it and you forfeit the payments.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hindsight is always the best sight, but at the time double wages or more and a more realistic chance of going up seemed a no brainer to him , that it went wrong makes it all the more funny and his not signing didn't make a jot of difference to us

Full frontal not to be ruled out for me. Not that he was going up either.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here