Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "dreadful" transport situation - a poll

How satisfied are you, generally, with the Amex travel arrangements?

• Total voters

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I never have a problem with the trains until I get to Brighton. Just wish Southern would lay on a few extra trains/carriages on trains out of Brighton going North/West.

Since they have put on longer trains, the system is much better. On Monday left the central block of WSU after he final whistle and boarded the 17:15 train. Arrived too early at Brighton Station for the 17:49 to Victoria!

Exactly my experience as well

RioGrandeGull

Jan 9, 2013
Isle of Wight
No problems with the trains from Falmer to Brighton if everyone gets on and moves down the train, now that the resignalling has been done, and Southern provide 8 cars, which to be fair, they have been doing.

It's the trains home on the west coastway that need improving.
Providing only 3 coaches on the all stations is a joke.
Arrived Brighton station from Falmer 10' before one was due to depart and it was full already (with those who left early.....).

The evening matches are even worse.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
What pissed me off about the trains the last time I was at the Amex was when the stewards stopped people from getting on the train, saying that "this train is full you'll have to wait for the next one", when I could quite clearly see people on the train with enough room to be able to BREATHE and even USE THEIR MOBILES!

Where I live if you haven't got your face firmly wedged up against someone's armpit, and still have the ability to move your arms, the train is NOT full!

To use a few pics:

This is NOT a full train, you can quite clearly see people with enough room to read a bloody broadsheet newspaper!

View attachment 53057

This is full. Note, arms wedged firmly to the sides - the chappy at the front to the right wants to use his phone but CAN'T.

View attachment 53058

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
If NSC is a fair reflection on Brighton fans in general, then it appears to be a myth that we think our transport system is awful. Infact I think with 80% atleast satisfied, then it is rather good.

The only thing that I get annoyed with is on midweek games. The connection from Brighton to Hove is awful sometimes. More often than not I end up getting the number 7 bus which seems to be fairly empty.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Only thing that lets it down for me is the poor service back to Hastings for midweek games. Can't get back to St Leonards until 23.50 so end up having to drive. If I drive I still don't get home until approx 23.30, but it means my lad can attend midweek games.

Where do you drive to? Lewes and get the train, or one of the car parks? I have been parking in Bridge car park, however next season I am looking at getting the train. What are the times like on Saturday for the trains to and from Falmer?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
P+R for midweek games has always been good for me. I leave on the final whistle and am usually speeding up the A23 about 40 mins later. There aren't many grounds where it would take you less time to get away from the initial 2-3 mile bottle neck around a 25k stadium.

As for trains, I've tended to use them for the Saturday games and have had similarly good experience. I usually have time for an extra beer, but on the one occasion I needed to get back up north quickly - Millwall game - I left on the final whistle and managed to get from Falmer to Brighton station in time to get the 1724 to Victoria - not bad considering the game went on until 1658!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where do you drive to? Lewes and get the train, or one of the car parks? I have been parking in Bridge car park, however next season I am looking at getting the train. What are the times like on Saturday for the trains to and from Falmer?

I almost always drive to Lewes and park there - station car park is expensive (5.80 I think) but there are several cheaper options within a 5 min walk. Trains on Saturdays are excellent between Falmer and Lewes and for the return - every 10-12 mins. I am usually back in Lewes by 5.20 after Saturday games, and by 22.15/20 for midweek games.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

I've driven to all options on route Polegate, Lewes and Bridge car park and personally I find driving to Polegate the easier option for mid week games. The trains on a Saturday are very good. I normally get the 12.29 from Warrior Sq which is a slow train (1hr 5mins) but allows just the right amount of time for a couple of beers on route, usually in West Upper by 13.45. Train back leaves about 17.35, time to have a pint or two after the game and avoid queuing, quick 2 min change at Eastbourne and back in St Leonards by 18.40.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If NSC is a fair reflection on Brighton fans in general, then it appears to be a myth that we think our transport system is awful. Infact I think with 80% atleast satisfied, then it is rather good.

The only thing that I get annoyed with is on midweek games. The connection from Brighton to Hove is awful sometimes. More often than not I end up getting the number 7 bus which seems to be fairly empty.

The transport is great 90% of the time but when it goes wrong ie Special trains for London fans, or weather related then it can be dreadful.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
What is surprising is that there isn't any form of Falmer (or Lewes) to Littlehampton service either before games or after, particularly midweek.

I didn't think such a thing was possible until, last night, my Hove - Brighton train then became a Brighton - Falmer/Lewes service leaving from Brighton Platform 3 (i.e. not the regular side of the station for Lewes trains). And, just to be clear, it was never advertised as a Lewes train from West of Brighton, it was just the rolling stock was then used to go to Lewes having arrived at Brighton.

But, given it is possible for a train to traverse East to West and West to East through Brighton like this, why not have a special service or two like this? It would save a lot of congestion on Brighton Station itself.

Two reasons - firstly is track layout from the west. P3 from the west can take a maximum of four coaches, anymore and theres not enough room to turn around secondly is the road from P3 - Coastway East. It would cut off the throat of the station which would impact on all services bar those of P1 and P2. By the time a train has cleared the tracks you're looking at a minute or two before another service can leave. It's not viable to do as an advertised service - only if specific running conditions are met and the decision is often made ad-hoc. At least that is my understanding.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Have just renewed my parking spot in Sussex Uni....Ok, it's £250, but for me it's a price worth paying. I have 120 miles to drive after the game, so a quick getaway is pretty important. If I leave spot on the final whistle and run back to my car, I can be on the A27 just after 5pm (for Sat match), and back home in Somerset by 7.45pm. MUCH better than at Withdean.....

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Get on our coach at 13.10 from Haywards Heath with 80+ like minded fans put a pound into the guess the goal time we had several roll overs. Arrive between 13.45 to 14.00hrs few drinks watch the game back on the coach depart 17.15hrs back in the pub in the Heath 17.55hrs what more do you want! A win::facepalm:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm fortunate enough to get the 23 bus from point to point, but I do understand peoples frustrations. I voted 'satisfied' because I don't know how things can improve.

Aside of that, on Monday a 23 bus came past us at the east end of Village Way without stopping. People were rather angry, and after enquiry were told that a previous 25 had been disabled by people ramming the doors open further down the road, so it was picking people up. I didn't see the incident, but it led to a few festering fans at the far end of the Way. Did anyone see this ?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
So if it's so great, why does a good 20% of the crowd leave before the final whistle?

Or maybe that's why the waiting times are much shorter now as such a lot of people leave early?

Not really an ideal solution is it?

why is it not ideal? If people want to leave early to "try" to avoid a rush surely thats ideal for them. I personally hang around, thats because i live in brighton and have no partlicular time pressure to get home. I guess people who are traveling long distances need to catch connecting trains, have young kids what to try to beat the rush. I guess we all have our footy routine that works for us. Not sure why people get so angst about the transport or people leaving early. We have a great ground and a great team - I personally love going to the amex - the queues are a positive pleasure... would we rather be back at the withdean with crowds of 6K... I know where i would rather be.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm fortunate enough to get the 23 bus from point to point, but I do understand peoples frustrations. I voted 'satisfied' because I don't know how things can improve.

Aside of that, on Monday a 23 bus came past us at the east end of Village Way without stopping. People were rather angry, and after enquiry were told that a previous 25 had been disabled by people ramming the doors open further down the road, so it was picking people up. I didn't see the incident, but it led to a few festering fans at the far end of the Way. Did anyone see this ?

We were waiting at Village Way (Amex side) when the 25 appeared on the horizon. A few people in the queue had already gone over to the opposite bus stop in the hope that it would stop and pick them up. It did, then a mass of people rushed across the road and boarded the 25 and we were waiting to depart when the driver announced that he could'nt shut the rear doors. We were ordered off and onto a 25 that had turned up behind us. The 23 was behind him.

It doesn't explain why the empty 23 decided to sail past your bus stop though. :shrug: as the second 25 hoovered the disabled bus's passengers up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here