Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone tell me how...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't Ellis leave the novel open as to whether Bateman was sociopath and committed the crimes or just a fantasist? (I've not seen the film...). Then again, I'm sure he left that deliberately ambiguous.

Fantastic ending to a great book and film. I think he didn't do it from the looks of it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Please hear me out because I am NOT defending the guy, but...

Police have to deal with scum pretty much all the time. Being taunted, abused, punched and kicked etc, while being expected to remain totally non-violent themselves throughout.

I'm not defending the guy, but what I'm saying is that I'm surprised you don't hear more stories of Police brutality. If you pulled over a drunk driver who was doing 80mph in a 30 zone with schools etc, are you telling me you honestly wouldn't be tempted to give the c*** a dig in the ribs? I'm very impressed by the restraint of coppers in most of these instances.

the answer is don't do the job then
well paid
good pension
retire at 50?
loads of good things about the career
and I am afraid some go looking for trouble

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, of course. think you're almost certainly right.

I've been punched, spat at, slapped, scratched, kicked, pinched, bitten, had chunks of hair pulled out etc, over the years (by both male and female parties). It's rarely even occurred to me to give some back though, it's just not part of the deal, is it? Just have to rise above even the nastiest and most unpleasant individuals, difficult though it occasionally may be. And would probably make a situation worse, when ultimately, all I really want is for that person to calm down and make my job easier. I don't believe in winding people up. Achieves nothing.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I've been punched, spat at, slapped, scratched, kicked, pinched, bitten, had chunks of hair pulled out etc, over the years (by both male and female parties). It's rarely even occurred to me to give some back though, it's just not part of the deal, is it? Just have to rise above even the nastiest and most unpleasant individuals, difficult though it occasionally may be. And would probably make a situation worse, when ultimately, all I really want is for that person to calm down and make my job easier. I don't believe in winding people up. Achieves nothing.

Thanks. I would imagine policing is a difficult job at the best of times and reading what you have had to put up with and resisting the temptation to retaliate to those various acts of assault, proves that you don't have to react like the officer in the news story.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well lets just hope this makes it a real struggle to get another job.

I thought doing this sort of thing earnt you a promotion at the Met?

"He told Westminster Magistrates' Court that Reed had bitten him on the finger and claimed that she had the Aids virus."

Clearly a ****ing idiot as well but then that's to be expected from a copper.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Have you seen the video? Regardless of what she is or what she has done before, what kind man, in their right mind, would seriously thump a woman in the head.

surely the policeman is trained to deal with situations like that, from the looks of things, instinct took over, he throws her to the floor and gives her a beating?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looking at the recording, appears was sat in the chair and not being physically aggressive. He grabbed her hair, threw her to the ground and punched her. Looks like an act of thuggery to be honest.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
...a copper gets away with a community order for this:

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2014-03-11/policeman-who-punched-woman-in-the-head-is-sentenced/

Seems wrong to me.

OK. Although I've only read the article I'll have a go.

I assume it was charged as a section 39 Common assault.
Starting point looks like category 2 as it's greater harm but not greater culpability. Range for category 2 is Band A fine to High level community order. Starting point is Medium Level Community order.
Aggravating factor could be "Abuse of power"
Mitigating factors could be "of Good Character", "Isolated incident"

So it's pretty much smack dab in the middle of the Community punishment range which is 40-300 hours.

Sounds like the DJ got it about right.

Of course the real punishment is that his career is ruined from one moment of madness.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Looking at the recording, appears was sat in the chair and not being physically aggressive. He grabbed her hair, threw her to the ground and punched her. Looks like an act of thuggery to be honest.

Looks like she sat on her hands when he asked her to put them out so he could cuff her, should have been a ittle more patient but probably would have had to get physical with her at some point.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Providing the force used was REASONABLE and PROPORTIONATE thats fine, but only the officer can decide what they feel is reasonable and proportionate at the time, but they then need to JUSTIFY the force used. This officer was judged to have got it wrong. But tactical communications obviously failed. He went wrong trying to handcuff her without having her under control first and massive mistake doing so without a cover officer for a known violent offender.

Dec 29, 2011
Of course the real punishment is that his career is ruined from one moment of madness.

One moment of madness? If this guy is attacking woman in a station he know has CCTV, who's to say he hasn't done the same, or worse, to a criminal he finds on the street?

He should be locked up, a suspected shoplifter attacking a policeman like that would get much much worse.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
One moment of madness? If this guy is attacking woman in a station he know has CCTV, who's to say he hasn't done the same, or worse, to a criminal he finds on the street?

Each case is dealt with on it's own. You cannot assume he has done anything, evidence has to be put before the court to prove what he is alledged to have done.

He should be locked up

No, he shouldn't and I've explained why.

, a suspected shoplifter attacking a policeman like that would get much much worse.

Actually since 2011 the guidelines are broadly similar. It used to be the case that the starting point for Assault PC was custody but it isn't any more.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In my time working security I was bitten, threatened with needles etc by men and women. At no time did I or would I have resorted to pulling a woman out of a chair by her hair and punching her in the head. That policemen is bang out of order. Full stop. Anyway he'll be sacked for sure. I've seen police lose their rag with people before. More common than you would think.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Each case is dealt with on it's own. You cannot assume he has done anything, evidence has to be put before the court to prove what he is alledged to have done.

No, he shouldn't and I've explained why.

Actually since 2011 the guidelines are broadly similar. It used to be the case that the starting point for Assault PC was custody but it isn't any more.

I'm assuming you didn't bother watching the video. The evidence is pretty clear.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm assuming you didn't bother watching the video. The evidence is pretty clear.

Yes I have watched the video, what's your point ? (Mine was that from the evidence presented you cannot draw any assumptions about what he has done previously)

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
the answer is don't do the job then
well paid
good pension
retire at 50?
loads of good things about the career
and I am afraid some go looking for trouble

Well paid? Top PC pulls in C£36.7k, but the starting rate is now only C£20k! Hardly 'well paid'...

Good pension? Each month the employees contribution is 13% and this rises to 14.25% next month! How many other jobs do people make that level of compulsory contribution...

Retire at 50? Hahaha if only...

All in all, given the risks not great remuneration!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here