Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, firstly he doesn't play for Grasshoppers. He plays for FC Zurich. In fact Grasshoppers is the only club he's scored against that most people will ever have heard of as nearly all his goals so far were netted in Austria - and not against any of the big names.

So in that sense he's entirely unproven at anything like a decent standard.

Which is also why any comparison, as someone else was making, to Mbappe is ridiculous. He's already a star in a much bigger league, as well as the Champions League.

and if Zurich were selling him to, say, Grasshoppers, Raphael might only be a £4m player.

I didn't compare him to Mbappe, although he does prove what ridiculous prices can be asked for when talking about a young goalscorer in a top division.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
True, but the Spanish second division is a lot stronger than the Swiss and Austrian Second Divisions.

FC Zurich play in the Swiss Super League.
The same league as Basle: who I believe put United out of Europe two seasons in a row not long ago.
The better teams would stomp 75% of the Championship (and, I bet, the majority of lower Prem teams) week in, week out

Do a cursory check before you slag off the standard of football.

Last edited:

albionite

May 20, 2009
FC Zurich play in the Swiss Super League.
The same league as Basle: who I believe put United out of Europe two seasons in a row not long ago.
The better teams would stomp 75% of the Championship (and, I bet, the majority of lower Prem teams) week in, week out

Do a cursory check before you slag off the standard of football.

They do now, but last season they were in the Swiss Challenge League.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
They do now, but last season they were in the Swiss Challenge League.

But he's only been there for six months and four of his eighteen games (and two of his fourteen goals) for the club have been in the top league, so it's hardly fair of people to suggest he's a Swiss second division player and has played against no-one of note.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But he's only been there for six months and four of his eighteen games (and two of his fourteen goals) for the club have been in the top league, so it's hardly fair of people to suggest he's a Swiss second division player and has played against no-one of note.

It is odd timing the club have finally accepted the insanity of 'only £8,000,000 for a striker' just as some fans baulk at paying so much money.
That's even before looking at football transfers as a whole.
£8m will buy next to nothing if Premier League clubs are shopping for young, fit, healthy, contracted players, without low buy out clauses.

It's physically impossible to say x is not worth it, because applying that kind of logic can only lead to the one and only sane conclusion:-

'none of them are worth it'.

We ought to be living of fear of Tony waking up in a cold feverish sweat screaming 'oh my god what have I done, am I out of my mind'.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It is odd timing the club have finally accepted the insanity of 'only £8,000,000 for a striker' just as some fans baulk at paying so much money.
That's even before looking at football transfers as a whole.
£8m will buy next to nothing if Premier League clubs are shopping for young, fit, healthy, contracted players, without low buy out clauses.

It's physically impossible to say x is not worth it, because applying that kind of logic can only lead to the one and only sane conclusion:-

'none of them are worth it'.

We ought to be living of fear of Tony waking up in a cold feverish sweat screaming 'oh my god what have I done, am I out of my mind'.

Given the size of the business deals outside of football he must get involved in ..i have no worries

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[/B]

Given the size of the business deals outside of football he must get involved in ..i have no worries
Those deals are rational, planned, and executed with military precision.

We're talking about £8 freakin million pounds not being enough to buy a player recently promoted from the Swiss second division.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Those deals are rational, planned, and executed with military precision.

We're talking about £8 freakin million pounds not being enough to buy a player recently promoted from the Swiss second division.

That may well be but no deal is without risk..and given his deals as i understand it in commercial property and the size....a big risk..but yes £8 mill as you say not being enough..how much is?

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Loving all the 'reading between the lines' in this piece:-

https://ghanasoccernet.com/ghana-st...-move-to-english-premier-league-side-brighton

The fella is as good as sold, it's just all about how much.

Him and his agent will no doubt be joining countless millions watching the most viewed sporting event on the planet this evening. Imagine his thoughts; he could have been playing in this game instead of plying his trade in front of 10,000 watch makers, cuckoo clock repairers and money launderers. Gutted!

I think they'll push it through Monday before we move onto another target!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Him and his agent will no doubt be joining countless millions watching the most viewed sporting event on the planet this evening. Imagine his thoughts; he could have been playing in this game instead of plying his trade in front of 10,000 watch makers, cuckoo clock repairers and money launderers. Gutted!

I think they'll push it through Monday before we move onto another target!

“I have not heard anything yet, I am currently a FCZ player, but it can happen quickly in football. I’m still very young,” Dwamena said when asked about the move to Brighton.

"We've always had inquiries for him on the table, and yes, we currently have an offer from England but we do not want to sell him for sporting reasons," President Canepa said.

"Sure, when a certain scale is reached, you have to do the business as a Swiss club for economic reasons.
"So I do not want to exclude a sale, but so far there is no offer at a financial level where I would be nervous".

They haven't 'always had inquiries for him on the table' but they're expecting a few more now The Albion have been flushed out.
'So I do not want to exclude a sale' until all the bids are in when we'll be kicking the fella out before the ink has dried on the cheque.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
https://lifechannel.ch/de/Glauben-entdecken/Serien/sport/Raphael-Dwamena---Fussball-und-Glaube

Sport: Raphael Dwamena - Football and faith
16 Aug 2017
Raphael Dwamera is a striker from FC Zürich. At the end of July, he played his first game in the highest Swiss football league - and shot in the derby the Grasshopper Zurich directly two goals, which decided the game. But football does not come first for the 21-year-old. For him, Jesus is the center of life. He is glad when his team mates approach him and ask him questions about God and the Bible.

Ahhh, our chant on Saturday may well have scuppered the deal.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Maccarena (spelling?)

Ghana Ghana Ghana Ghana Ghana Dwamena
ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh Dwamena

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Don't cry from me Raph Dwamena
The truth is we always loved you
All through our wild days
Our mad existence
We wanted your pace
And shots from distance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our mad existence
We wanted your pace
And shots from distance.

I was about to call time on this madness, but that opening line is a work of genius. :bowdown:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Our mad existence
We wanted your pace
And shots from distance.

Surely should be " please score for me Ralph Dwamena"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports