Mar 3, 2009

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Taken earlier this month on said Canon EOS 1D MK 2. This one is of the Bonfire Dash on the River Ouse in Lewes. Lots of news interest already in the image due to the injuries suffered by several participants (one quite serious) when cretins on the bank threw bangers and hard boiled eggs at the rafts during the earlier raft race.

bonfire dash.jpg

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Taken earlier this month on said Canon EOS 1D MK 2. This one is of the Bonfire Dash on the River Ouse in Lewes. Lots of news interest already in the image due to the injuries suffered by several participants (one quite serious) when cretins on the bank threw bangers and hard boiled eggs at the rafts during the earlier raft race.

View attachment 87367

Great photo!

I wonder if you could help me? I am going to Kenya soon and thought it would be a good idea to take a spare camera (don't want to go all hat way only for camera to pack up!). I use a 7d mk 2 at the moment but was thinking having a full frame camera as a spare would mean I could use 2 cameras and give me flexibility (and save me continually swapping lenses when I want to change from wildlife to landscapes). I have been looking at the older 1d models and the older 5d models. Do the lenses that fit my 7d also fit these cameras? I know you mentioned noise on the older 1d - how would noise on this compare with my 7d mk 2? Also what is the difference between a 1D mk 2 and a 1DS mk 2?

Finally (sorry for all the questions!) you mention news interest on one of your images - where do you sell news images? I use alamy at the moment but wondered if there are other sources I should explore?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Great photo!

I wonder if you could help me? I am going to Kenya soon and thought it would be a good idea to take a spare camera (don't want to go all hat way only for camera to pack up!). I use a 7d mk 2 at the moment but was thinking having a full frame camera as a spare would mean I could use 2 cameras and give me flexibility (and save me continually swapping lenses when I want to change from wildlife to landscapes). I have been looking at the older 1d models and the older 5d models. Do the lenses that fit my 7d also fit these cameras? I know you mentioned noise on the older 1d - how would noise on this compare with my 7d mk 2? Also what is the difference between a 1D mk 2 and a 1DS mk 2?

Finally (sorry for all the questions!) you mention news interest on one of your images - where do you sell news images? I use alamy at the moment but wondered if there are other sources I should explore?

Kenya eh, nice one. I go every year to Ethiopia in January, I go for the people photography (tribal people), but I've often thought of you and others on here that like their bird photography as the lakes out there are literally teeming with hundreds of varieties.

Regarding cameras, as far as value for money goes, second hand 1d cameras are exceptional value. They're pro cameras and I've been buying up a few 1d mk 2's on ebay, 8mp and 1.3 crop with low shutter counts. The 1ds mk 2 is a full frame 16mp and a great back up for your 7dmk 2 and are available on ebay for around £450. The noise on either of the 1d or 1ds shouldn't be a problem if you're shooting mostly in the day, and if you do pick up any noise its easily corrected in Lightroom. One thing though, you shouldn't be thinking of going all that way without a back up, its not worth it, I had to learn the hard way many years ago. Also there's a lot of dust and muck in the air out there and constantly changing lenses with the one body you're gonna get a lot of muck on the sensor, a good idea to have one lens on each body.

Re News images I have contributed to alamy as well as other agencies/libraries for many years now and I regularly supply the live news feed. Also I've had a several requests by separate news agencies to use this particular image in a story with a 50/50 split after the injuries to the raft race participants became known. Good luck in Kenya

Last edited:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I believe that the 7d is designed for EF-S lenses, the older 1d bodies are designed for EF lenses. Google 'using ES-F lens canon 1d' - you will see that they are not intended to be interchangeable.
(Short version - although they can be made to fit each other, the EF-S lens sits closer to the mirror, and can damage the camera body)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• AAA Beach 300615.jpg
    AAA Beach 300615.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
03a3364b4d40cba2dfb475ba79db3261.jpg

Sneaked up on this little fella using my phone camera with nothing added or taken away , it still amazes me how good these cameras on phones are nowadays .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
03a3364b4d40cba2dfb475ba79db3261.jpg

Sneaked up on this little fella using my phone camera with nothing added or taken away , it still amazes me how good these cameras on phones are nowadays .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see you are still using that old cracked screen Nokia :thumbsup:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I believe that the 7d is designed for EF-S lenses, the older 1d bodies are designed for EF lenses. Google 'using ES-F lens canon 1d' - you will see that they are not intended to be interchangeable.
(Short version - although they can be made to fit each other, the EF-S lens sits closer to the mirror, and can damage the camera body)

Thanks - all my lenses are EF rather than EF-S so guessing should be fine?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
What lenses are you using with your 7d mk 2 Kneon are they EF lenses. I can't believe that Canons flagship EF lenses are not compatible with your 7d mk 2

I've just read an article on must have lenses for the 7d and three or four are EF lenses. http://www.digitalrev.com/article/5-lenses-you-must-have

I have the EF 5.6 400mm prime (which is the lens I use 90% of the time), EF 70-300mm and EF 24-105mm. I have checked and all are EF rather than EF-S so am guessing would work with the ID Mk ii? The other option I am looking at is the 5d mkii - This is more expensive 2nd hand but I believe would give me a little more flexibility in low light? (I am photographing ospreys soon and they tend to start fishing at 5am in low light so need something that can cope better than my 7d mkii)

In Kenya I will have the 400mm lens on my 7D mk ii and the 70-300mm lens on whatever other camera I buy. I;ll try to avoid changing lenses if possible due to dust etc although may put the 24-105 on if I do landscapes (Good thing about landscapes is they do not run/fly off when changing lenses so I can take a little more time trying to make sure dust isn't a problem)

Ethiopia sounds amazing - I'd love to visit sometime but Kenya has used up all my overdraft! Do you have a website? Would love to look at some of your pics from Ethiopia.

Thanks for your help

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Chalkhill Blue butterfly's head.

Attachments

• Chalkhill Blue M Head NSC.jpg
    Chalkhill Blue M Head NSC.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 204

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I have the EF 5.6 400mm prime (which is the lens I use 90% of the time), EF 70-300mm and EF 24-105mm. I have checked and all are EF rather than EF-S so am guessing would work with the ID Mk ii? The other option I am looking at is the 5d mkii - This is more expensive 2nd hand but I believe would give me a little more flexibility in low light? (I am photographing ospreys soon and they tend to start fishing at 5am in low light so need something that can cope better than my 7d mkii)

In Kenya I will have the 400mm lens on my 7D mk ii and the 70-300mm lens on whatever other camera I buy. I;ll try to avoid changing lenses if possible due to dust etc although may put the 24-105 on if I do landscapes (Good thing about landscapes is they do not run/fly off when changing lenses so I can take a little more time trying to make sure dust isn't a problem)

Ethiopia sounds amazing - I'd love to visit sometime but Kenya has used up all my overdraft! Do you have a website? Would love to look at some of your pics from Ethiopia.

Thanks for your help

My website = http://www.grantrooney.com/
(travel page has some of the Ethiopia pics)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Bumped in to these this morning. A bit of chance paparazzieing!

Attachments

• K&W_4.jpg
    K&W_4.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 151

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here