Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings -Bournemouth away

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Individual errors and conceding sloppy goals cost us but we are not getting sufficient quality balls coming through the midfield to the front men . Our front men are small so in the main the balls have got to come through the defence to them rather than over the top or 8ft in the air. The ball from Teixiera to set up Colunga was a peach of a pass and Baldocks goal came from a clearance by Al Absi that kept low and went through their midfield. If in the next few games we can do the same and keep a clean sheet the future will look better, not quite rosy but a lot better with a couple of wins under our belt.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I didn't think Holla and Gardner were as bad as some are making out. We didn't lose the game in centre midfield, we lost it because our centre backs were dreadful.

Have to agree with this. Did Gardner or Holla do a single worse piece of football then Dunks decision for the penalty?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have to agree with this. Did Gardner or Holla do a single worse piece of football then Dunks decision for the penalty?

Holla's attempted clearance near the end was pretty dire (straight up and led to him fouling - although replays show it wasn't a foul) and there was an awful attempted pass to LuLu that went straight out. He didn't have a great game and looks a shadow of the one that we had just a few games ago. To answer your question, no.......daft tackle by Dunk, striker was facing away from goal and moving further away all the time, just needed to keep him covered and shepherd him away.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Al-Habsi 5 -distribution abysmal. One really good save in first half, couple of decent punches, no chance with goals (initially thought he could have done better with the second but deflected past him)
Hughes 5 - did ok in the limited time he was on. Probably brought in to deal with Pugh. Injury looks a bad one.
Bennett 6 - ok
Greer 4 - shocker!
Dunk 6 - mugged for the pen and had a dodgy 10 minute spell in the second half but still our most saleable asset.
Gardner 3 - dreadful.
Holla 4 - not much better than Gardner.
Forster-Caskey 6 - pick of the midfield 3.
Colunga 6 - great finish, worked hard, surprised when he was taken off.
Tex 7 - motm. At the heart of most of our good stuff particularly in first half.
Baldock 6 - again, great finish, ran about a lot, not much else.

Calderon 6 - sadly showing his age, still gives 100% but this is probably his last season.
Kaz 5 - one run when could have got a pen if he'd gone down, not a lot else.
CMS 4 - waved his arms about a lot. Not a lot else.

Good first half performance, pressing high up the pitch with Tex prominent in the good stuff. Sat too deep second half and, Baldock's good finish aside, never really threatened. Change at the top long overdue.

I really hope Bennet signing signals the end for Gardner (although after conversations with my Dad at the weekend, I'm resigned to Benno playing right back). The lad is terrible. How JFC comes in for so much stick when Gardner should be the lightning rod for it at the moment is beyond me.

Rating-wise though, I'd echo all of them except maybe a 5 for Dunk, that tackle for the pen is not something I expect from him.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
These are all remarkably low scores considering we've just given the division's in-form team their toughest game in ages, aren't they?

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Although we dominated in the midfield... I think that was more down to outnumbering them rather than the personnel involved. JFC was solid, but both Gardner and Holla had little impact on the game.

T'Shearer was by far our best player in the first half, then faded. I'd have given him MOTM.

Good to see both Baldock and Colunga on the scoresheet, good finishes. Weird that both were subbed off when we needed a goal? The rest of the team did generally OK though, bar a few defensive errors.

I know it is the story of the season so far... but we certainly weren't outclassed by Bmuff, they were very fortunate to get all 3 points and I think we deserved something out of the game on the balance of play and chances created.

I'm struggling to think of too many games where we've truly been the outclassed so far this season, I don't think we're that far off to be honest and the board have a tricky decision to make soon if results don't start changing.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
We are rarely outclassed but the problem is that neither are we classy, and all the genuine excitement of August has completely disappeared due to SH's inability to turn things round - this is causing lack of confidence in the team. I think he rotates the squad out of desperation not strategy - needs to go back to exactly what we did against Leeds and Bolton. As it is each game seems worse in some way - Saturday showed that we can at best hold our own if we don't make mistakes, but the system forces mistakes from key players and then we have no way to get back.

I think we were very lucky to get B'mouth on one of their bad days - there is too much pressure on the keeper, Greer and Dunk; the full backs aren't; the mode field is set to disrupt rather than create, and the forwards consequently aren't getting the right service (and both Baldock and Colunga showed that they are clinical if given a through ball to run on to).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Al habsi 6

Calderon 6
Dunk 5
Greer 5
Bennett 6

Holla 5.5
JFC 7
Gardner 5

Tex 8
Colunga 7
Baldock 6

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ref was conned by Wilson for the penalty as Dunk didnt make a tackle.

Baldocks goal came from a clearance by Al Absi that kept low and went through their midfield.

1. Dunk went straight through Wilson, who was moving away from goal, and planted his foot between the ball and Dunk, to protect possession.

2. Al Habsi's ball sailed OVER the Bournemouth midfield, and was headed on by Greer.

Please don't get the hump, but genuinely, have you had your eyes tested recently?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm in the 'no pen' camp and without bias or being insane. Watch what Wilson does with his right leg - Dunk didn't make a challenge but I can see why it was given - if the same had happened to Chelski Mourhino would still be winging..

Can see where you are coming from, but look at Dunk's reaction. He knew he'd screwed up straight away, no complaints.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We are rarely outclassed but the problem is that neither are we classy, and all the genuine excitement of August has completely disappeared due to SH's inability to turn things round - this is causing lack of confidence in the team. I think he rotates the squad out of desperation not strategy - needs to go back to exactly what we did against Leeds and Bolton. As it is each game seems worse in some way - Saturday showed that we can at best hold our own if we don't make mistakes, but the system forces mistakes from key players and then we have no way to get back.

I think we were very lucky to get B'mouth on one of their bad days - there is too much pressure on the keeper, Greer and Dunk; the full backs aren't; the mode field is set to disrupt rather than create, and the forwards consequently aren't getting the right service (and both Baldock and Colunga showed that they are clinical if given a through ball to run on to).
Excitement of Aug? Certainly not from me. Dreadful pre season and a manager i didn't want. The two teams you have mentioned have both sacked their managers since. Not sure about holding our own comment. 4th from bottom and the slump doesn't look like ending either. I have no confidence in Hyypia turning it around. To be quite frank he is a shocking manager.
If we beat Wigan then it's only a stay of execution for me. He isn't the manager i want long term and the sooner he is gone the better.
People are moaning about the squad but it's not a relegation team. It's far from perfect but it's better then the table suggests.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Excitement of Aug? Certainly not from me. Dreadful pre season and a manager i didn't want. The two teams you have mentioned have both sacked their managers since. Not sure about holding our own comment. 4th from bottom and the slump doesn't look like ending either. I have no confidence in Hyypia turning it around. To be quite frank he is a shocking manager.
If we beat Wigan then it's only a stay of execution for me. He isn't the manager i want long term and the sooner he is gone the better.
People are moaning about the squad but it's not a relegation team. It's far from perfect but it's better then the table suggests.

I agree with you about Hyypia. We've got a strong mid-table group of players playing to relegation tactics. I thought August was exciting to be honest - the attacking seemed free and fast hence all the goal attempts.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I agree with you about Hyypia. We've got a strong mid-table group of players playing to relegation tactics. I thought August was exciting to be honest - the attacking seemed free and fast hence all the goal attempts.

The build up to the first game of the season was nothing but embarrassing. We barley fielded a team against Wednesday then Burke had a mad rush and started signing players left,right and center.
This Pre season has been one of the worse i've known considering the clubs motto and ambition. I could see back in the beginning of Aug our squad was awful.
Sack Hyypia and avoid relegation is all we can expect this season being realistic. Hopfully a little run in the FA cup would be nice.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Ratings

Highest Rated:
Teixeira 6.88 (100mins, 13 votes)

The Rest:
<Colunga 6.38 (66mins, 13 votes)
Forster-Caskey 6.15 (100mins, 13 votes)
<Baldock 6.15 (77mins, 13 votes)
>Calderon 5.96 (87mins, 13 votes)
J. Bennett 5.92 (100mins, 13 votes)
Al-Habsi 5.54 (100mins, 13 votes)
<Hughes 5.29 (13mins, 7 votes)
Dunk 5.23 (100mins, 13 votes)
>LuaLua 5.00 (34mins, 9 votes)
Holla 4.69 (100mins, 13 votes)
>Mackail-Smith 4.67 (23mins, 9 votes)
Greer 4.31 (100mins, 13 votes)
Gardner 3.92 (100mins, 13 votes)

Squad average: 5.44

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1. Dunk went straight through Wilson, who was moving away from goal, and planted his foot between the ball and Dunk, to protect possession.

2. Al Habsi's ball sailed OVER the Bournemouth midfield, and was headed on by Greer.

Please don't get the hump, but genuinely, have you had your eyes tested recently?

I dont agree with your point 1 but will accept on rewatching the goal the kick from Al Absi went higher than I first thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here