Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup draw round 3 - home v Palace

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
I was sat in my seat at the game. What the hell do you expect me to do?

Policing Pride is an entirely different operation, with much larger numbers than an Albion game, but a significantly reduced likelihood of conflict, and generally speaking, no large groups of dickheads roaming around spoiling for aggro. Everyone's such an expert on here, it's quite entertaining.

Oi Oi.

Milk and two sugars love.

It's going to get tasty that's for sure. Already those ITK have heard rumours of a Cluedo faceoff, could perhaps upgrade to Pointless, or I'm a Facking Hard Cannnt Get Me Out Of Here from Croydon petting zoo. Don't let the OB know though, don't want Dibble on our case ruining some old school toe to toe.

Gawd Bless the Queen and Cass Pennant.

Regards
LP

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nice bit of overtime before Xmas eh Edna ?

Once again: you fail. The date of that game was known months in advance, therefore they don't pay overtime. They just cancel officers' days off, and prevent anybody already due to work from taking any leave. The same will apply to the cup match.

Anything else?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am looking forward to any game at home however some of my older friends don't want to go to this game as they don't feel safe.
If palace fans and others are proud of this then Grow up and move on.

I honestly can't believe people feel that unsafe around this fixture. How many people have been hurt at it in the last 10 years?

I was sat in my seat at the game. What the hell do you expect me to do?

Policing Pride is an entirely different operation, with much larger numbers than an Albion game, but a significantly reduced likelihood of conflict, and generally speaking, no large groups of dickheads roaming around spoiling for aggro. Everyone's such an expert on here, it's quite entertaining.

Why can the Met and other forces successfully police big derbies without restricted number of away fans, but Sussex police can't? The Old Firm games have 7000 away fans. The big Premier League ones have 3000. I really can't believe that Brighton / Palace fans are as/more dangerous than the fans at these games.

That's not meant as a dig by the way, it's a genuine question. Is it simply because they don't have the practice and experience in doing it that the other forces do? If so, surely that is going to have to change?

Jan 30, 2008
Once again: you fail. The date of that game was known months in advance, therefore they don't pay overtime. They just cancel officers' days off, and prevent anybody already due to work from taking any leave. The same will apply to the cup match.

Anything else?
have you learned anything from the experience :facepalm:
regards
DR

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

Anything else?

Just have a little word with your super to allow us fellow football fans the maximum amount of tickets :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Anything else?

Fair play for biting your tongue up til now. Tho hopefully you'll be as disappointed as the rest of us with your colleagues taking their eye off the ball on the night of the league match and opting for the soft option of coralling docile ticket-holding fans outside the stadium while non-ticket-holding ferals did exactly as they pleased inside the stadium. Utterly shameful.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I honestly can't believe people feel that unsafe around this fixture. How many people have been hurt at it in the last 10 years?

Why can the Met and other forces successfully police big derbies without restricted number of away fans, but Sussex police can't? The Old Firm games have 7000 away fans. The big Premier League ones have 3000. I really can't believe that Brighton / Palace fans are as/more dangerous than the fans at these games.

That's not meant as a dig by the way, it's a genuine question. Is it simply because they don't have the practice and experience in doing it that the other forces do? If so, surely that is going to have to change?

They had 3000 Palace fans at previous games without too much drama. Could it just be that the grief that did occur the other night was not actually down the police (or the stewards, or the Albion, or even Crystal Palace), but down to a bunch of Palace arsehats who turned up determined to make a name for themselves?

What's your solution to the sort of hassle they caused with a bunch of fireworks, which was a large contributory factor to the issues both inside and outside the ground? My- genuine- question is, what would you do to legislate for that? How would you stop it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fair play for biting your tongue up til now. Tho hopefully you'll be as disappointed as the rest of us with your colleagues taking their eye off the ball on the night of the league match .

(1) Don't patronise me
(2) Don't think you speak for everyone

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Presumably dealing with all the big London sides; Arsenal, Brentford, Charlton, Chelsea, Fulham, Millwall, QPR, Spurs, Watford, West Ham – the Met get a lot of practice and can budget and be equipped accordingly with officers who gain massive amounts of experience from all sorts of situations that arise. Let's face it, the Met hardly police anything with a 'gentle' touch, you only have to look that the mounted police presence at our games with Charlton to realise how overkill they go at everything.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
They had 3000 Palace fans at previous games without too much drama. Could it just be that the grief that did occur the other night was not actually down the police (or the stewards, or the Albion, or even Crystal Palace), but down to a bunch of Palace arsehats who turned up determined to make a name for themselves?

What's your solution to the sort of hassle they caused with a bunch of fireworks, which was a large contributory factor to the issues both inside and outside the ground? My- genuine- question is, what would you do to legislate for that? How would you stop it?

Of course it was down to the Palace arsehats, I don't think anyone is suggesting the police actually caused the trouble themselves.

If you answer my genuine question, rather than side-stepping it with a question of your own, then I'll answer yours.

Actually, forget that, I will answer it. I don't really see what the police did wrong there, I don't agree they should go into the ground and pull the perpetrators out, that's old-fashioned crowd policing that just incites more problems. Far better to give the offenders a knock on the door at 6am on a Tuesday morning, when they think they've got away with it. I think the police got it right.

But my point is, there are people at every big derby who attempt to cause problems, and I really can't believe that Brighton v Palace is anywhere near the worst one. Yet virtually all the others seem to go ahead without restricting away fan numbers, and without the big drama that ours seems to create. Also, even the segregation seems different, at the North London derby you get a couple of rows of stewards between the rival sets of fans, we have about two sterile blocks.

So I'll ask again, is it simply down to a lack of experience / appetite from a provincial police force, or something else? Are Sussex police not PLR?

This isn't in any way meant as a personal dig at you or your profession, it's just that you are the only person on here who is likely to know the answer!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
(1) Don't patronise me
(2) Don't think you speak for everyone

(1) I'm not
(2) I don't

Fact is your colleagues did everything BUT deal with the main threat i.e. 50-odd ferals storming the turnstiles and going on to do as they damn well pleased inside the stadium for just about the entire match with zero in the way of intervention. Like I say, shameful.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

With hindsight there should have been enough police outside the away end to prevent ticketless fans getting into the ground. I would presume this will be the case at the cup match.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I really don't see how anyone can blame the police. It's a bit like those quick to blame the police when there is a terrorist attack. Number one blame is the terrorist.

Number one blame here is the Palace fans. Had they not tried to break in it wouldn't have happened.

Are the police responsible for this? I really don't think so. Pre-match would anyone have said it was likely that Palace fans would try and break in? I don't recall anyone suggesting it was a potential problem on here or elsewhere. The police were clearly stretched just dealing with a bunch of ********s who were intent on causing trouble in town and then outside the stadium.

Hindsight of course says the turnstiles should have been heavily policed but that is completely against every stadium I have visited for many many years where stewards are outside and inside the turnstiles, no police anywhere near. So I don't think any blame can be apportioned to the police.

However I would like to see a few convictions before I can properly judge their post match performance

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I do believe we require an 'Ask Edna' thread.

Dear Edna,

I've just found out that my wife is having an affair with my dead uncle....

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Presumably dealing with all the big London sides; Arsenal, Brentford, Charlton, Chelsea, Fulham, Millwall, QPR, Spurs, Watford, West Ham – the Met get a lot of practice and can budget and be equipped accordingly with officers who gain massive amounts of experience from all sorts of situations that arise. Let's face it, the Met hardly police anything with a 'gentle' touch, you only have to look that the mounted police presence at our games with Charlton to realise how overkill they go at everything.
This rings a bell. Living in Spain I don't get to many games but did get home tickets for Fulham. I was amazed at the amount of police, particularly mounted, that flooded the area. I remember thinking "We're Brighton. What do they do when Millwall come calling?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here