Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Talk Sport

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As an occasional listener to this, I tuned in today to the Alan Brazil show which even by his standard appears to have reached new depths. Big Al is in Brisbane presumably to catch the spirit and atmosphere of the Ashes tour. This seems to consist of AB showcasing his total lack of knowledge of (or interest in) cricket and a series of encounters with obviously pissed-up members of the Barmy Army while moaning about the meanness of his expense account and how few holidays he gets. For Alan's many fans and followers it's a collector's piece.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I caught a bit of this the other day. Its brilliant in the so bad its good category. One presenter in a the UK, a time lag, the usual crew on the phone and the knowledge of cricket that could be written on a postage stamp

'Morning Alan'
'I'm, I'm having terrible trouble hearing over here, this bar is incredibly busy'
'So, we've got a full Champions league programme tonight'
'Yep, Brisbanes a lovely place, Lovely people'
'Alan, can you hear me'
'Is that you Ray, lovely people out here'
'Is Freddy Playing'
'No, he's been arrested'

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As an occasional listener to this, I tuned in today to the Alan Brazil show which even by his standard appears to have reached new depths. Big Al is in Brisbane presumably to catch the spirit and atmosphere of the Ashes tour. This seems to consist of AB showcasing his total lack of knowledge of (or interest in) cricket and a series of encounters with obviously pissed-up members of the Barmy Army while moaning about the meanness of his expense account and how few holidays he gets. For Alan's many fans and followers it's a collector's piece.

Can't listen to him anymore. Clueless buffoon, only interested in football (and then only the top 4 PL clubs) and where his next pissup is going to be. Also talks over other people and sounds as though he eats whilst presenting. There are some decent shows/presenters on TS but I'm done with his show.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Gave up with listening many moons ago.

Only connection with me is Clips of the Week, have about 10 years worth now although the majority are Brazil/booze clips, Parry singing or getting names wrong and Carry On Fishing.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Cannot fathom why a single person listens to TalkSport for a single minute of their lives.

Utter drivel, 24 hours a day, from tedious self-congratulatory presenters, punctuated by moronic callers and endless adverts for screwfix.

Seriously? WHY?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cannot fathom why a single person listens to TalkSport for a single minute of their lives.

Utter drivel, 24 hours a day, from tedious self-congratulatory presenters, punctuated by moronic callers and endless adverts for screwfix.

Seriously? WHY?

Imagine a few on here might listen to a football match tomorrow afternoon.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Seriously? WHY?
Occasionally, if desperate, I will listen to a match commentary simply because it is not on 5Live and I don't have satellite tv. However, I really struggle with the inane "White Van Man " adverts for plasterboard and the constant links to the little 'Orish charmer telling you what great odds you can get if you get suckered in to gambling... only for fun, of course. My idea of hell would be a radio which only broadcast this tosh.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Seriously? WHY?

It's gone seriously downhill since News International took over but a couple of years ago it was quite good in parts. Yes, Drive and Breakfast were designed for the armchair united fan but Colin Murray, Hawksbee and Jacobs as well as the Press Pass on Sunday nights were all well worth a listen. 2 out of the 3 are now gone. They also used to drag in Mark Langdon some evenings - He knows more about European football than any ex pro I've ever heard and was required listening for anyone who punts on obscure football.

The station is now full of the likes of Brazil, Durham and Jason Cundy. Text in if you think City will win the league. Ring 0898 if you think Adrian Durham is trying to wind you up. Tweet us if you think Alan Brazil has been drinking meths. It's a shame because all the serious output of which they had plenty is getting shelved.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never listen to TS. I was hooked for years, just because of my love of football.

In reality, 10 minutes of banal waffle, followed by 5 minutes of travel news and ads, 4 times an hour.

A waste of life. Radio 4 and music channels are so much more rewarding and relaxing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's gone seriously downhill since News International took over but a couple of years ago it was quite good in parts. Yes, Drive and Breakfast were designed for the armchair united fan but Colin Murray, Hawksbee and Jacobs as well as the Press Pass on Sunday nights were all well worth a listen. 2 out of the 3 are now gone. They also used to drag in Mark Langdon some evenings - He knows more about European football than any ex pro I've ever heard and was required listening for anyone who punts on obscure football.

The station is now full of the likes of Brazil, Durham and Jason Cundy. Text in if you think City will win the league. Ring 0898 if you think Adrian Durham is trying to wind you up. Tweet us if you think Alan Brazil has been drinking meths. It's a shame because all the serious output of which they had plenty is getting shelved.

Good analysis......Jim White is also one of those presenters that tries to make everything sound exciting/important when it simply isn't.

I like the Two Mikes - entertaining knockabout stuff - but do that via podcast which means the ads and dumb callers are largely missing. I don't need reminding every 5 minutes that wood screws are 20% off this week.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Two things...

1. Oh I do so agree on Jim White. He tries to sensationalise everything, and they're trying to build this myth of him being the "best connected man in football". He's just a nonsense-monger

2. The Two Mikes makes me want to cut off my our ears and eat them myself. Mike Parry is the biggest, most self-aggrandizing buffoon on any form of media (maybe Piers Morgan...)

On a wider note though, enjoy TalkSport as a rule but Brazil in Brisbane is terrible.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hawksbee and Jacobs are still worth a listen, depending on who the guests are. But it's all gone downhill since our very own Robyn Schonhofer stopped reading the news.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Two things...

1. Oh I do so agree on Jim White. He tries to sensationalise everything, and they're trying to build this myth of him being the "best connected man in football". He's just a nonsense-monger

2. The Two Mikes makes me want to cut off my our ears and eat them myself. Mike Parry is the biggest, most self-aggrandizing buffoon on any form of media (maybe Piers Morgan...)

On a wider note though, enjoy TalkSport as a rule but Brazil in Brisbane is terrible.

The Two Mike's is quality radio!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Seriously? WHY?

The Screwfix adverts . Got two Dewalts the other week from Screwfix. Good price.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I listen sometimes, but rarely to Breakfast. I did, however, the other morning when Brazil was on with Big Sam. It was so bad I had to listen, in a strange sort of way. It was like two old, out of touch blokes, longing for the 'good old days' of football, were having a chat over a couple of pints. Seriously bad radio and ideas and opinions that are so far removed from reality, it's untrue!

Jim White is an egotistical bellend who seriously plays up to this 'best connected man' schtick. Love H&J and they generally have decent guests AND cover sports other than football. Adrian Durham I don't mind some days. He occasionally talks some sense and it's so obvious when he's provoking the listeners it's actually quite funny. Same with The Two Mikes – bumbling buffoons that they are – and I quite like Max and Barry's Sunday warm-up show.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Hawksby and Jacobs are good, Colin Murray used to be. Jim White is Sky personified.

What I find amusing is how they cannibalise the same 3/4 ex-players who work on the station as somehow relevant to clubs they once played for if that club is in the news. Few of them have any real insight into the clubs they once played for, perhaps Parlour with Arsenal, and if they do they lack much relevance now.

As for Brazil, I feel a bit sorry for him. The jingles sort of celebrate what seems like a very heavy reliance on drink. At the peak of Gazza's 'wackiness' many stories did the rounds, when he started really suffering in public this stories were retold in a very different context. I wonder if the same will be done with Brazil if something similar was to happen.

Be interesting what they say about the jingles then....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here