Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stephens injury

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
With no game this week hopefully he is good to go next match. fingers crossed however for the players involved in internationals, no injuries please !!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Its not "according to the Argus" , its according to Hughton who the Argus quoted and thats not quite what he said. (for those who can't be bothered to click)

"“Dale was closest and I think in the end it would have been too much of a risk to play him.
“It’s a minimal injury but the last thing we wanted was for him to play and potentially put himself out for a longer period.
“Gaetan was never going to make it in hindsight.
“We are very hopeful that [Stephens and Bong] will be available for the next game against Leicester.
“Dale has just felt his hamstring slightly.
“It is not a hamstring pull but it is one we need to be really careful with.”

You are quire pedantic aren't you :lolol: Anyone would think I had twisted the information. In my defence CH did say originally understate the facts by saying DS had picked up a slight knock in training which is quite different to a hamstring tweak ( although I am no doctor) as far as I understand it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
You are quire pedantic aren't you :lolol: Anyone would think I had twisted the information. In my defence CH did say originally understate the facts by saying DS had picked up a slight knock in training which is quite different to a hamstring tweak ( although I am no doctor) as far as I understand it.

Always worth being clear about injury comms Icy or someone might think you’re trying to imply that CH is being disengenuous about what he shares .
And that would be unfair wouldn’t it. :)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Always worth being clear about injury comms Icy or someone might think you’re trying to imply that CH is being disengenuous about what he shares .
And that would be unfair wouldn’t it. :)

Only you :lol:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Do you think Max Saunders is better than Kayal, then?

And who gave away the free kick that led to the second United goal? (Hint: it WASN'T BK...)[/QUOTEI

I dont know as I havent seen Sanders play enough but CH has and he added him to the squad. If fit on what I have seen I would sooner play Molumby. Kayal has served us well IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP but IMHO has been poor when playing this season. and as I have said I do not think that he is adequate cover for Stephens.

You need to allow more time for your medication to kick in before posting on here.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The fact we were offered 8 odd million for Stephens and as far as I'm aware no offers at all for Kayal would suggest that he is seen as a better player. I think Kayal is excellent and have no problem with him replacing Stephens but I'd rather have Stephens every time. Kayal was a revelation in his first two seasons I agree, but at a lower level.

Stephens is arguably our most effective player, he is missed whenever he doesn't play.

I agree. Dale Stephens is something of a Marmite player, equally loved or hated, but everyone has an opinion of him. Reminds me of Dean Hammond in his day, often castigated when he did play, but so missed when he didn't.

Hurry back Dale, we need you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The fact we were offered 8 odd million for Stephens and as far as I'm aware no offers at all for Kayal would suggest that he is seen as a better player. I think Kayal is excellent and have no problem with him replacing Stephens but I'd rather have Stephens every time. Kayal was a revelation in his first two seasons I agree, but at a lower level.

Stephens is arguably our most effective player, he is missed whenever he doesn't play.

It's not quite that simple though is it?

That 8 odd million was only forthcoming, from one club, who's manager has always been an admirer of Stephens.
Dyche is a manager with a robust game plan who saw DS seamlessly slotting into his plans.
Not to mention the fact that DS is English and isn't carrying Kayal's injury list.
He was approaching the end of his contract making him susceptible to 'cheeky' bid, plus further 50p raises.

Oh how I'm sure Dyche now wishes he'd found an extra fiver behind the sofa.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
It's not quite that simple though is it?

That 8 odd million was only forthcoming, from one club, who's manager has always been an admirer of Stephens.
Dyche is a manager with a robust game plan who saw DS seamlessly slotting into his plans.
Not to mention the fact that DS is English and isn't carrying Kayal's injury list.
He was approaching the end of his contract making him susceptible to 'cheeky' bid, plus further 50p raises.

Oh how I'm sure Dyche now wishes he'd found an extra fiver behind the sofa.

I am a great admirer of Stephens and he could well have been an England player by now if he had joined Dyche in July/August 2017...most players improve after being coached by Dyche - Trippier, Austin, Ings, Heaton, Keane, Cork and now Tarkowski/Pope have all gained England recognition after working with SD.

Maybe Dunk would have got an England call by now if he had played alongside the dependable Ben Mee (rated Burnley's No 1 defender by many) - it hasn't done Keane or Tarkowski any harm.:)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Would we have to make do with Kayal :facepalm:or would CH take a chance on Max Sanders.

Well, would he? Based on last night's performance, not so much... :facepalm:

Just for you, [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], #NeverWrong

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One Swallow doesnt name a summer but he was good last night.
He's 'good' consistently, but funnily enough - like most players - he was a bit rusty when he first came back!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's 'good' consistently, but funnily enough - like most players - he was a bit rusty when he first came back!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last night was the first time that he showed that he was capable of reaching Premier standard and he took the chance well. Nobody can take that away from him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Last night was the first time that he showed that he was capable of reaching Premier standard and he took the chance well. Nobody can take that away from him.

I don't think anyone was :shrug:

YOU were the one who said he wasn't Premier League quality –*the rest of us didn't doubt that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone remember how shit Sidwell was when he first came on loan the last time here having had virtually no game time? He became one of our most effective players in our promotion campaign. Kayal is class he just needed to get up to speed.

BG really needs to learn to hold his hands up and admit he was wrong occasionally.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Anyone remember how shit Sidwell was when he first came on loan the last time here having had virtually no game time? He became one of our most effective players in our promotion campaign. Kayal is class he just needed to get up to speed.

BG really needs to learn to hold his hands up and admit he was wrong occasionally.

Made me giggle that... The BG bit not the Kayal and Sidwell part...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here