Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] What is your 1 favourite computer / console game?

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Stronghold,the whole series. Keep the villagers happy by making Beer, then charge more taxes.

SwedishSonna

Aug 9, 2005
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have signed up as a volunteer reviewer for the Centre for Computing History wesbite so will be going back and playing a fair few of these games. I have started with my favourites, a lot of which aren't considered classics by any means. I guess we made the most of what we had back then. The game I still go back to is Action Biker on the C64. A simple £1.99 game based around Clumsy Colin from KP Skips but I still love playing it. One guy on a retro games podcast I listen to loves it as well but gets a lot of stick from everyone else. I guess with no endless freemium games to move to, we persevered with whatever we had bought.

Impossible Mission was also very good. As were the Dizzy games. Rainbow Island, New Zealand Story etc.. Codemasters and Ocean generally made some very decent games.

SwedishSonna

Aug 9, 2005
Newcastle upon Tyne
PC: World of Warcraft (up to Pandaria);
Xbox: Can't decide between Halo 3 and Fallout 3 - Both amazing games that I sank way too much time into;
Tablet: Hearthstone

I'm currently loving PUBG on the Xbox but don't get anywhere near the time to play I used to sadly.

PUBG is very good. A little unpolished but still very enjoyable. I'm also guilty of playing WoW. However I didn't enjoy Warlords that much, and Legion is even worse.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think if you presented kids today with these systems/games, they'd just look with confusion and disdain - their loss!

Especially those stupid tape machines. Hours spent using my screwdriver and cardboard arrow to get it right on my C64 !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone remember a game called Powermonger? It was ace.

Had to Google it. Interesting is was written by Bullfrog who also wrote the brilliant Populous.

I'll throw in an extra - International Karate

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Goldeneye - N64
Gauntlet 2 - Amstrad CPC 6128
Sonic 2 - Mega Drive
Portal 2 - XBox 360

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Spectrum games from my yoof that I loved:
Manic Minor
Monty Mole

Add Nodes of Yessod to the speccy list
I have got no idea how Manic Minor or JSW2 were possible to complete without cheating with memory POKES/MERGE

3 lives on Manic Miner? WTF. You'll recall a room I think called the Power Generator quite late in the game shoorting seemingly random electricity bolts every where. Hard enough even getting there never mind practicing getting past it and JSW2 was just too massive

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'Terranigma' (SNES)

'Mother 3' (Game Boy Advance)

'Dark Souls 2' (PC)

'Exile' (Electron/ST, I had it on both :) )

Last edited:

twiggles

Feb 14, 2014
PC: World of Warcraft (up to Pandaria);
Xbox: Can't decide between Halo 3 and Fallout 3 - Both amazing games that I sank way too much time into;
Tablet: Hearthstone

I'm currently loving PUBG on the Xbox but don't get anywhere near the time to play I used to sadly.

Looking forward to the next HS expansion? They are being a bit more generous with the pre-purchase which has tempted me.

Would really recommend Gwent if you fancy a change from HS. Very free to play friendly and much more in-depth i think.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Different favs for different eras. I am 38 so reckon perfect age for such a discussion. Listed a game for each o the things I have owned.

BBC micro - jet pack
Master system - sonic
PC - champ manager mid 90s (before it got too big and slow) kurt nogan was great.
Snes - mariokart (if pushed this is best of all)
PlayStation - micro machines - four player at uni was ace
PlayStation 2 - grand theft auto was an incredible step and great fun
PS4 - loved GTA again but for difference will say far cry 4

Other notable mentions on a system I didn't own - sensible soccer and PGA tour golf on megadrive saw lots of money change hands in first year uni halls.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Gauntlet 2 - Amstrad CPC 6128
Sonic 2 - Mega Drive

Gauntlet 2 - Amstrad CPC 6128. Amazing game, but took about 40 mins to load. We'd stick it in, go for a kick about come back and what felt like 80% of the time it had failed to load with a memory error. The arcade 4 player version could be one of the best arcade machines ever
Sonic 2 - Mega Drive - Yeah made the mega drive must have

Stick Killer Instinct the arcade version on my list, C1994 classic, oh and Goldenaxe, Operation Wolf, Tekken, Street Fighter 2 must all be on the best arcade games list
OT, was a big Pinball nut in the arcades (well I had them at work). Lethal Weapon 3, Judge Dredd, Doctor Who, Addams Familily, Star Wars, all amazing Pinball machines

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Grand theft auto all of them but especially the original on ps 1
&
Gta vice city
& gta V was epic

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Another BBC classic or 2, Chuckie Egg, and Repton.

I hated chuckie egg because my brother was better than me. Repton was great. I still remember the day my dad came home with a disk drive to replace the tapes we used originally. One of the best days of my life. It had two holes - 3.5 inch disk and the really floppy 5.25 inch disks. I reckon I was about 7 so c1986/7. I was a hero in my village for weeks.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gauntlet 2 - Amstrad CPC 6128. Amazing game, but took about 40 mins to load. We'd stick it in, go for a kick about come back and what felt like 80% of the time it had failed to load with a memory error. The arcade 4 player version could be one of the best arcade machines ever

It was the same for every cassette game. There were a couple which would fail quite regularly, I seem to recall Ghostbusters and Robocop 3 were big culprits. You'd go away for half an hour and come back to be greeted by "READ ERROR B". We discovered the games were more likely to load if you put the cassette player on a higher shelf :lolol:

Arkanoid was another favourite. Partly because it was on a floppy disk.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Final Fantasy VII - amazing game and just as I was starting to play games. I think I spent about 4 hours off it in the first weekend I had it. But when games were all story mode and not loads of crap online content

FIFA - love it despite it causing me an insane amount of financial pain in new controllers

Football Manager/Championship Manager/LMA Manager (only for the stadium designer)

Goldeneye on N64 - no first person shooter has ever come close to this for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here