Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pep Guardiola's yellow ribbon

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My thoughts are that any political symbol is not permitted by FIFA and is a law of the game.
The ribbon is a political symbol therefor is illegal. Don't care who he is, CH wouldn't get away with it so why should he.
On the other hand, well done the FA for promoting this and yes, I'm up for wearing one for our match at City (or even United maybe?).

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So are you saying that the Tory government could be locked up for inciting the UK to leave the EU which is an act of sedition in the new globalised world

No - membership of the EU was by Treaty.

However if say Welsh politicians instructed the population to stop paying their taxes to HMRC but to a Welsh equivalent, declared that Wales refused to accept the authority of Parliament and instructed councils not to pass business rate income, road tax revenue etc. to central government, as well as diverting VAT payments to a Welsh treasury then that would be seditious behaviour liable to criminal action.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
It's a poor comparison to use London as an example. Catalonia is a seperate country in history. London has never been a separate country. But it is the EU way to put fingers in ears whilst saying 'lalalalalalal I can't hear you.' Interesting that the UK has more than once given the right for a democratic vote to Scotland. I wonder why the Spanish/EU won't do the same thing, is it because they are only interested in giving votes to people when they think they will vote their way?
I was going to use Sussex as the example but the main reason for Catalonia wanting independence is nothing to do with history, more that as a semi-autonomous community they feel that they are putting more into the finances of Spain than they are getting out. It's the rich wanting to cut off the poorer because they don't want to prop them up anymore. When Ive watched regional Spanish tv news the politicians are quite brazen about it.

The Spanish politicians didn't put the Catalan separatists in jail, the independent judiciary did. The key difference with Scotland is that the Scottish nationalists negotiated and agreed a proper way to have a referendum with the UK government. The Catalans just did it without completing the negotiations with the Spanish government. If the SNP ha x taken the same route as Puidgemont they may well have ended up in trouble under our own laws

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was going to use Sussex as the example but the main reason for Catalonia wanting independence is nothing to do with history, more that as a semi-autonomous community they feel that they are putting more into the finances of Spain than they are getting out. It's the rich wanting to cut off the poorer because they don't want to prop them up anymore. When Ive watched regional Spanish tv news the politicians are quite brazen about it.

The Spanish politicians didn't put the Catalan separatists in jail, the independent judiciary did. The key difference with Scotland is that the Scottish nationalists negotiated and agreed a proper way to have a referendum with the UK government. The Catalans just did it without completing the negotiations with the Spanish government. If the SNP ha x taken the same route as Puidgemont they may well have ended up in trouble under our own laws

There's much more to it than that. Relatively recently, Catalonia sided against Franco and ended on the losing side and losing their semi-autonomous state. Many Catalonians have historically resented the rule from Madrid. Yes, there is a financial argument but nevertheless, Catalonia has a history as a separate state. The Catalonians held an 'illegal' referendum as the Spanish govt stated they would not allow one. On the Scottish issue, I suspect we would have seen a similar referendum in Scotland were they to have been denied any referenda over the last 40 years. But because the UK is more democratic and regards the citizens of Britain higher than the Spanish/EU do their citizens, Spain will never allow a referendum. It is a farce.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
There's much more to it than that. Relatively recently, Catalonia sided against Franco and ended on the losing side and losing their semi-autonomous state. Many Catalonians have historically resented the rule from Madrid. Yes, there is a financial argument but nevertheless, Catalonia has a history as a separate state. The Catalonians held an 'illegal' referendum as the Spanish govt stated they would not allow one. On the Scottish issue, I suspect we would have seen a similar referendum in Scotland were they to have been denied any referenda over the last 40 years. But because the UK is more democratic and regards the citizens of Britain higher than the Spanish/EU do their citizens, Spain will never allow a referendum. It is a farce.
When you looked at the polls last year had the Spanish government let the referendum go ahead the independence side would probably have lost, so I agree it is definitely a farce. And you are right, the UK does have a better level of democracy. Still doesn't change the fact that the Catalan politicians knew that they were breaking the law and knew the consequences yet still went ahead. They do have the history but the main driver is still money/greed but that is the case for most politicians the world over.

Back to the main point, Peps yellow ribbon is still a political statement which has no place in football. If you allow it you have to allow all sorts of other guff

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
My thoughts are that any political symbol is not permitted by FIFA and is a law of the game.
The ribbon is a political symbol therefor is illegal. Don't care who he is, CH wouldn't get away with it so why should he.
On the other hand, well done the FA for promoting this and yes, I'm up for wearing one for our match at City (or even United maybe?).
FIFA that corrupt organisation only controls international competitions not domestic. That is for the FA if they feel they want to take on our free speech laws.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
When you looked at the polls last year had the Spanish government let the referendum go ahead the independence side would probably have lost, so I agree it is definitely a farce. And you are right, the UK does have a better level of democracy. Still doesn't change the fact that the Catalan politicians knew that they were breaking the law and knew the consequences yet still went ahead. They do have the history but the main driver is still money/greed but that is the case for most politicians the world over.

Back to the main point, Peps yellow ribbon is still a political statement which has no place in football. If you allow it you have to allow all sorts of other guff
other guff like gambling, loan shark and alcohol sponsors?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here