Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The future of faith: young people switched off?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I'm in the your alive and your dead camp. Nothing before and nothing after. I'm always amazed when I discover perfectly rational, intelligent people I know haul themselves off to church every Sunday. But like others on here I'm not anti religion and share Einsteins view that religions are based on well intentioned fairy stories.
Religion is also what props up a lot of the third world as it's the only thing they have and provides a little hope in their otherwise desperate existence.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
And yet when a 'good' person dies a lot of tributes will include lines like that 'they are now in a better place' ect and when a' bad' person dies its 'I hope they rot in hell'

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
You've jumped in a bit too quickly giving it the biggun there matey . I'm not trying to get more people into believing in God. I'm not even sure if a God even exists. I've absolutely no idea where you've got that from.

Do you want to try again and perhaps this time refer to something that i have said?

Ooh I love being called matey. Are we gonna have ‘fisticuffs’?

In your previous post you referred to those ‘opposed’ to religion doing nothing about it and continuing to celebrate religious festivals. All I was saying is that the hypocrisy you referred to largely doesn’t exist because few non believers really care that much.

Ok, you’re probably not getting your knickers in a twist about congregation numbers so I wholeheartedly apologise for that.....

Matey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Some people would say believing that a big explosion from nothing creating the Universe is quite absurd as well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ooh I love being called matey. Are we gonna have ‘fisticuffs’?

You are a very odd person. It's a friendly term. Nothing more, nothing less. I use it often:

No worries matey. I'm all good now and it taught me a lot of lessons in how not to raise children, I'm sure the same as you. And it does come down to that single point - will the child be loved?

I feel for you matey. Pardew is poison and has form for encouraging a laddish drinking culture at clubs he's managed. Rumour has it Dean Hammond and other senior players at Saints approached the Chairman about Pardew trying it on with their wives.

Sorry matey, been really busy. How about a couple of Nick Cave duets.

etc...etc...etc

You're clearly spoiling for a fight with someone. It's not going to be with me so you'll have to go trolling somewhere else, I'm afraid.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
But explainable.

So all of this is just one massive coincidence?

If it wasn't for a freakish explosion which was completely random there'd be no universe, no Gravity, no magnetic shift, no animal telepathy, no dream or nightmares, no art, no understanding of continuity and no sense of love?

I would love to know what the realistic odds were and causes of this extremely creative explosion which came out of nowhere? Sounds like something from the Matrix.

How comes there's ancient artefacts all over the world which symbolise and explain the universe as more than just a collision? Were they all in on the big lie? Even so we can't explain how and why any of these ancient artefacts were made, we somehow can explain how the universe was made? Sounds like we learnt to skip before we could walk.

Does anyone think our current society which is zombified by TV, Internet and Mobile phones might explain the growing rise in lower vibrational ideas?

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

If it wasn't for a freakish explosion, which was completely random, there'd be no universe, no Gravity, no magnetic shift, no animal telepathy and no sense of love?

I would love to know the realistic odds and causes of this creative explosion which came out of nowhere? Sounds like something from the Matrix.

The likelihood is 1, as it happened, in this universe.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How can you produce an explosion from nothing?

So the big bang is absurd because we don't know what happened before it? We don't know 95% of anything about the universe - the beauty of knowledge is discovering. People believe in a Big Bang because that is where scientific theory, experimentation and data leads us. The beauty of belief over faith is the ability to go with the evidence.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

If it wasn't for a freakish explosion, which was completely random, there'd be no universe, no Gravity, no magnetic shift, no animal telepathy and no sense of love?

I would love to know the realistic odds and causes of this creative explosion which came out of nowhere? Sounds like something from the Matrix.

Trying to assign a statistical probability to the Big Bang is pointless. There was no meaningful concept of time before it so in a way it had an infinite time-frame for it to occur.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm in the your alive and your dead camp. Nothing before and nothing after. I'm always amazed when I discover perfectly rational, intelligent people I know haul themselves off to church every Sunday. But like others on here I'm not anti religion and share Einsteins view that religions are based on well intentioned fairy stories.
Religion is also what props up a lot of the third world as it's the only thing they have and provides a little hope in their otherwise desperate existence.

Absolutely. Accepting that religion exists and is important to some people, whatever your own beliefs, is the best policy.

I once sat beside a brilliant surgeon while she explained to a frightened family, with incredible scientific detail, the nine hour operation she had just performed on their father. At the end of the meeting, after all the questions had been answered with technical precision, she said to the family ‘with God’s help everything will be ok’.

I later challenged her over her closing comment. She explained that they were Italian Roman Catholics and that those words were what they needed at that time to give them hope. Her own beliefs were not important in that moment.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Some people would say believing that a big explosion from nothing creating the Universe is quite absurd as well.

But there’s evidence available to support this. It’s just that most of us, me included, are too thick to understand.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
You are a very odd person. It's a friendly term. Nothing more, nothing less. I use it often:

etc...etc...etc

You're clearly spoiling for a fight with someone. It's not going to be with me so you'll have to go trolling somewhere else, I'm afraid.

I got the context wrong. I apologise. I’m not spoiling for a fight, couldn’t fight my way out of a paper bag.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Love it. Quantum - theory based on theory. Might as well say a dude with a beard waved his hand and it all appeared in 7 days. Quantum or religious belief, they can both be pulled out of a hat with no actual proof.

They both rely on each other for a conclusion. Sadly, we're still at a point of thinking it's either one or the other.

“It was not possible to formulate the laws of quantum mechanics in a fully consistent way without reference to consciousness.” - Eugene Wigner, theoretical physicist and mathematician. He received a share of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1963.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here