Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

promotion parade details digest this lot

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
How can the club threaten to ban someone for carrying a flare along the seafront? What does it have to do with them?

If you are invited as a guest of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club then if you violate any rules they may impose any penalties among their guests. That is of course after you move your clothes down to the lower peg because you are playing in the match this afternoon and having your haircut.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think you'll find it's called bandwagon

band·wag·on
ˈbandˌwaɡən/
noun
a wagon used for carrying a band in a parade or procession.
a particular activity or cause that has suddenly become fashionable or popular.
"the local deejays are on the home-team bandwagon"

What exactly do the councillors have to do with the bandwagon as described above? When do they get their haircut and when must they move their clothes down to the lower peg if they are not playing in the match this afternoon?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Why so much moaning about bags being searched? With Europe on high alert for terrorism, surely that's an obvious and understandable step. The Premier League attracts global publicity, and its newest club has already made headlines worldwide. It would be reckless if there wasn't some security for an event which should attract tens of thousands of celebrating supporters and is therefore a potential target. The world has changed, even since we were last promoted.

Then why only Zone A? If the event is likely to be high on a terrorist hitlist, wouldn't said terrorist just go to Zone B or C? Not sure you or Barber have thought this one through!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Then why only Zone A? If the event is likely to be high on a terrorist hitlist, wouldn't said terrorist just go to Zone B or C? Not sure you or Barber have thought this one through!

Because it's closer to the stage where the most high profile potential targets will be? There. Didn't take long to work out. Obviously they can't seal off the whole town but worth making some effort surely.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Terrorist attacks are all covered - John Smeaton is on the gate

Glasgow International Airport attack[edit]

Smeaton, a baggage handler, was off duty when he saw the incident start to develop on 30 June 2007. He later recalled his first thoughts on being confronted by the two desperate suspects who drove a burning jeep filled with explosives into the airport entrance. He heard three explosions during his break: "What's the score? I've got to get this sorted."

He added "I thought, 'That's no right, ' and ran over to assist. All that was going through my mind was I've got to help the policeman, I'm not letting these guys get away with this."[5]

It was reported that Smeaton shouted "****in' mon, then" and aimed a kick in the testicles at Kafeel Ahmed, who later died from his 90% burns following the attack.[2][6]

During the incident Smeaton also helped drag Michael Kerr to safety after Kerr, another person to intervene in the event, had been left lying with a broken leg beside the burning jeep after kicking Mr Ahmed himself.[4]

The incident has been described as inspiring others to take personal initiative and act decisively in a crisis. Newsagent and former policeman Mohammed Afzah cited Smeaton as inspiration for his facing down and repelling a would-be armed robber.[7]

In late July, Smeaton returned to his old job as a baggage handler at the airport.[8] Later in the year he accepted a job as head of security at a nearby company.[9]

On 18 December 2007, it was announced that Smeaton was to be awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal for his actions;[10][11] this was presented by the Queen at a ceremony at Buckingham Palace on 4 March 2008.

Television interviews[edit]

Following the attack, Smeaton gave television interviews to the BBC, ITV and CNN which were broadcast worldwide,[12] gaining Smeaton a fanbase of admirers.[13][14]

The television interviews that brought him to the attention of the world were based around his own reaction to the attack.
After he saw the police grappling with one of the attackers, he thought:
"You're no' hitting the Polis mate, there's nae chance."[12]Describing his own actions:
"So I ran straight towards the guy, we're all trying to get a kick-in at him, take a boot to subdue the guy."[12]Asked by ITV News what his message to terrorists was, he said:
"Glasgow doesn't accept this. This is Glasgow; we'll set about ye."[4][13]In his News of the World interview, he said:
"If any more extremists are still wanting to rise up and start trouble, know this: We’ll rise right back up against you. New York, Madrid, London, Paisley … we’re all in this together and make no mistake, none of us will hold back from putting the boot in."[15]The Sun interviewed him for its edition of 12 July. One quote reads:
"Would you stop it with all this hero worship? Anyone else would have done exactly the same as me."From an interview with Scotland Today:
"If you see the law going down then you have to step up to the plate. I mean, at the end of the day, when the law falls, we fall."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here