Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale Contract

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If I was on a performance contract I would be playing for more money, so if I under performed then I would know what to expect. Any other job where you under perform you get your P45!

But a relegation clause isn't technically a performance contract.

We go up, Stockdale signs a relegation clause and has the season of his life. He's MOTM almost every game, but we simply don't score enough and go down. Despite it being no fault of his own, his wage is cut despite having an incredible season. We value him a ridiculous £15,000,000 which prevents anyone else coming in for him and he's back where he was 2 years ago.

:shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would you accept a clause in your contract that states in 12 months time your wage might be slashed dramatically?

They hold the cards, so if they can avoid signing up to such a clause, they will. However, to turn around your question, if the (theoretical) player feels they shouldn't have to accept a 'lower' wage in the Championship, why should they then expect a higher wage in the Premier League?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I was on a performance contract I would be playing for more money, so if I under performed then I would know what to expect. Any other job where you under perform you get your P45!

But you seem to be arguing the reverse. You quite rightly state many have performance related pay. But this is something extra if you do well. The notional relegation clause is a reduction. That's quite different. I cannot think of any cases where anyone I know, or have heard about, has faced a wage reduction due to performance.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I reckon he is holding out to see which division Leeds end up in. If they make it up I can see him going there, otherwise he'll stay here. He's always said he wants to play for them so it makes sense.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Quite a few positions will need upgrading and will no doubt cost a lot of money. It would be a bad decision to let one of 7/8 players go that can play in the Premier League comfortably, to then have to pay out for someone who realistically couldn't be THAT much better than Stockdale. Keep him and bring in another back up who will push him even harder than Maenpaa has.

Give him the contract he wants, good keepers are few and far between so if we stayed up and wanted to upgrade I'm sure there wouldn't be any issue in finding him another club.... (Without wanting to look too far ahead)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
They hold the cards, so if they can avoid signing up to such a clause, they will. However, to turn around your question, if the (theoretical) player feels they shouldn't have to accept a 'lower' wage in the Championship, why should they then expect a higher wage in the Premier League?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that if they're happy with the pay rise they should be happy to lose that if we are relegated. But as you said, the player holds the cards. If Stockdale says he wants a pay rise if we go up and he won't sign a contract with a relegation clause and sticks to his guns then the club have to agree or replace him. Finding a replacement will be trickier for the club than finding a replacement, not to mention the signing on fees and PL wage demand the new keeper would want too.

In a dream world, we'd have Stockdale here next season, fighting with someone like Pickford or Butland for the number one spot, with Walton on loan to a Championship club in a season where we'll see if he can live up to his early promise.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Don't get me wrong, I agree that if they're happy with the pay rise they should be happy to lose that if we are relegated. But as you said, the player holds the cards. If Stockdale says he wants a pay rise if we go up and he won't sign a contract with a relegation clause and sticks to his guns then the club have to agree or replace him. Finding a replacement will be trickier for the club than finding a replacement, not to mention the signing on fees and PL wage demand the new keeper would want too.

In a dream world, we'd have Stockdale here next season, fighting with someone like Pickford or Butland for the number one spot, with Walton on loan to a Championship club in a season where we'll see if he can live up to his early promise.
Wise words.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I reckon he is holding out to see which division Leeds end up in. If they make it up I can see him going there, otherwise he'll stay here. He's always said he wants to play for them so it makes sense.

How long has Rob Green got left on his contract?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe once promotion is confirmed there will be the offer of a two-year deal? Without knowing any of the finances involved, I can see why TB and co wouldn't want to commit to anything right now – and I would also guess that there would be a few PL clauses added into those contracts that were signed over the past few months. There's no way Tony would want the club to get screwed over financially so I guess he's just being cautious.

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016
What would be hard to replace is his 'personality' and bond he has with the squad. That you can't put a price on and many people under value this quality. He is not irreplaceable but I for one would be disappointed to see him move on!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What would be hard to replace is his 'personality' and bond he has with the squad. That you can't put a price on and many people under value this quality. He is not irreplaceable but I for one would be disappointed to see him move on!

spot on

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

If you could get Butland or Pickford you should immediately jog Stockdale on.....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Niki Mäenpää is a damn fine keeper in his own right. Stockdale will be a loss. But a boy's gotta do what a boy's gotta do. Astounding IMHO that a class act like Mäenpää has been seemingly content to stick around here so long. We're a far better club for his decision to do so. Just about any other club in this division he'd be a shoo-in for top goalie spot.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If you could get Butland or Pickford you should immediately jog Stockdale on.....

100%

I think the lure of being first choice could swing it for us, especially as everyone seems to comment on how brilliant the package shown to new recruits is. Butland chose Stoke over Chelsea because he wanted to play, if he's now not first choice there after his injury problems then there's no reason history wouldn't repeat himself. You'd hope Pickford would asses his options in a similar fashion next season, although I think he's likely to be more in demand. Wouldn't be shocked if one of the Merseyside clubs came in for him, because IMO he's at least on a par with anything they have currently.

Both would cost a fair amount due to their age and nationality but if they came remotely close to fulfilling gathering potential then it's going to be a solid investment either way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I did as well, then again it is more realistic than Defoe!

Pickford is so so good, I would be interested to see how well he does if he signs for a better team with less to do.

If he could play with the ball at his feet like Rio Ferdinand Man City would consider him but he is just arguably one of the best shot stoppers and they do not like that from their keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here