Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks Triggaaar.
Your very welcome.

I use Camera Raw (Photoshop). I have noticed the border of objects when I edit when blowing the photos right up, but when reduced to normal size, I can't see it, therefore thinking I've done well. I tend to increase the clarity slightly, then go to the sharpening bit. I think I'll have to ease back a little on this. I do use a "mask", so in this case, it was just the geese that should have been affected in this part of the process.
Masks are tricky around people's hair, animal fur and indeed feathers. In fact, they're tricky around everything, but those things are worse. You need to zoom right in when checking the edge of a mask.

But there are other options that can help, like brightening shadows instead of a global exposure increase, so it doesn't affect the bright areas so much. Whatever works. Maybe one of NSC's bird 'togs will give you some tips.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Would anyone know of any reason why I cannot upload any pictures I have saved to my IPad taken with my Nikon DSLR. The images are just in jpeg.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Would anyone know of any reason why I cannot upload any pictures I have saved to my IPad taken with my Nikon DSLR. The images are just in jpeg.

Are they less than 2mb? If not, they won't upload.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are they less than 2mb? If not, they won't upload.

Where do I find the size Jack. Do I have to go back to the shot on my card or can I view it elsewhere. I'm useless on this side.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Where do I find the size Jack. Do I have to go back to the shot on my card or can I view it elsewhere. I'm useless on this side.

I'm not familiar with how an ipad works exactly, but with a lap-top, when you rest your mouse over the thumbnail of a photo, a box temporarily appears with the size of the file, date taken etc. I reduce the size of my photos to post here by opening with Microsoft Office Picture Manager and using the edit / resize function, shrink to large web file. It seems you may be able to do this by going back to your card? Someone else may help if there's another way with an ipad? Hope this is helpful?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not familiar with how an ipad works exactly, but with a lap-top, when you rest your mouse over the thumbnail of a photo, a box temporarily appears with the size of the file, date taken etc. I reduce the size of my photos to post here by opening with Microsoft Office Picture Manager and using the edit / resize function, shrink to large web file. It seems you may be able to do this by going back to your card? Someone else may help if there's another way with an ipad? Hope this is helpful?

Many thanks ta

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A beautiful frosty morning at a lovely house I'm working at near Horsham.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 280

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A beautiful frosty morning at a lovely house I'm working at near Horsham.

Looks like you've cracked it. I mean posting photos, not the fountain! Nice photo.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Loved playing around with SS priority last week in Rome. Got a lot to learn but having fun.
Amazing graffiti down the left bank when you bring it in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 268

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
After some advice from the NSC snappers.
My wife is hinting for a proper camera for her birthday. She has a Lumix small travel camera, wide angle 25x zoom which is good for holiday snaps,
and her Samsung tablet takes superb pictures.
She follows a wildlife photographer called Villager Jim on Facebook and wants to take pictures of wildlife,the countryside and animals.
So, fonts of all photographic knowledge, any recommendations please, budget up to about £400

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
My wife is hinting for a proper camera for her birthday. She has a Lumix small travel camera, wide angle 25x zoom which is good for holiday snaps,
She follows a wildlife photographer called Villager Jim on Facebook and wants to take pictures of wildlife,the countryside and animals.
So, fonts of all photographic knowledge, any recommendations please, budget up to about £400

You can borrow my Brownie for £399.99p , that's what chums are for .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

DSLR I presume. I took my sons advice and went for the Nikon D3300. You can get them for about £320.00 and that will come with the standard kit lens 18/55. The Nikkor 200 55/200 zoom with AV is a good follow up as well for £120.00. Easy to master with an easy to follow dial if you want to stay on landscape/portrait/sport auto etc.
It's a great entry/re-entry camera it really is. Read the reviews on it. The newer models which are £200.00 more just out have very little extra when it comes down to it.

Edit: for wildlife the zoom is pretty crucial.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
You can borrow my Brownie for £399.99p , that's what chums are for .

I would take a brave man to go anywhere near your Brownie:cool:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

For wildlife photography with a DSLR you will need at least a 300mm lens (and I would recommend at least 400mm). You will struggle to get this for the budget you have mentioned (The Canon 7D is a good wildlife camera and the crop factor of 1.6 helps but although you can get the camera for less than £400 a decent lens will cost more).
You could get a cheap lens but will end up getting frustrated with the quality - although this could be an option for an entry into wildlife photography.
Another option if you did not want to go down the DSLR route is the Canon SX 60 which has a huge 65x zoom and produces very good picture quality (although as with all bridge cameras they will not match DSLR quality).

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks Kneon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here