Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we all just a bunch of glory hunters ??!!!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I was thinking about this the other day and I go back to a game at Priestfield on a Bonfire night when we got beaten very easily by Barnet and I'm sure the crowd was just about a 1,000
That's when I realise how far we have come since that night
If that's Glory Hunting I'm well happy

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Funny enough despite supporting the albion for 20 years and following them more closely for well over a decade this season is the first season for a long time I've not attended a single game or closely followed games online/radio due to work and family commitments.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Started going in CUP FINAL year, at the age of 11. DEFINITELY a glory hunter.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think if any of us were glory hunters, there would have been far easier ways to find said glory than watching our ground sold out from under us, travelling to Kent for 'home' games and then sitting in the pissing rain at Withdean watching lower league football for years...after all that, frankly I'd say we're long overdue a bit of glory if it happens to come our way.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
glory
ˈɡlɔːri/
noun
high renown or honour won by notable achievements.
"to fight and die for the glory of one's nation"
synonyms: renown, fame, prestige, honour, distinction, kudos, eminence, pre-eminence, acclaim, acclamation, celebrity, praise, accolades, laurels, recognition, note, notability, credit, repute, reputation, name, illustriousness, lustre; More
magnificence or great beauty.
"the train has been restored to all its former glory"
synonyms: magnificence, splendour, resplendence, grandeur, majesty, greatness, impressiveness, gloriousness, nobility, pomp, stateliness, sumptuousness, opulence, beauty, elegance, brilliance, gorgeousness, splendidness
"a late 17th century house restored to its former glory"
verb
take great pride or pleasure in.
"they gloried in their independence"
synonyms: take great pleasure in, exult in, rejoice in, delight in, revel in; relish, savour, greatly enjoy; take great pride in, preen oneself on, congratulate oneself on, be proud of; boast about, crow about, gloat about; informalget a kick out of, get a thrill out of; archaicplume oneself on, pique oneself on
"individuals who gloried in their independence"

Nowt wrong with hunting for any of that ....

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
He wasn't a mate just someone I got talking to at the Komedia - he lives in Lewes and a lot of people he knows who use to follow the likes of Arsenal now go to the Amex apparently - my reaction was "so what?!!". When he started talking of glory hunters I had to stop myself from pissing myself laughing!!

Nothing worse than somebody who chooses to live somewhere and then slags off the local team. It is crass and arrogant. The bloke should be told to p*** off back to west London. I'm an exile and wouldn't be rude about the local clubs here as it's ignorant.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I was thinking about this the other day and I go back to a game at Priestfield on a Bonfire night when we got beaten very easily by Barnet and I'm sure the crowd was just about a 1,000
That's when I realise how far we have come since that night
If that's Glory Hunting I'm well happy

The game I go back to remind myself of how far we've come is also a game at Preistfield, but on this occasion, a Pigeon managed to steel the show. The pigeon managed to stay in the penalty area throughout most of the 2nd half. By the end of the match, most of the crowd were calling out for the Pigeon to get Motm.

We've come a very long way.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It is silly isn't it? How can someone who swaps supporting a Premier League team for a Championship team be described as a glory hunter? And where's all this glory that Brighton as basking in?

Likewise anyone who says that someone who forks out £500 at the beginning of a season for a mid-level Championship side is a plastic is also talking out of their arse. Plastics don't go week in and week out to watch a second tier side. They're just new fans, I think it's a shame that a lot missed out on some brilliant times supporting Brighton when we were utter toilet but que sera, we've all got to start supporting Brighton somewhere.

What has made me so happy is how many youngsters the Amex has pulled in and the knock-on effect across Sussex. When I first started taking my two to Withdean there were a couple of Brighton fans in their classes but mainly PL and the playground reflected that. Nowadays, you go past a school or park in Worthing, Bexhill, Brighton, Burgess Hill...more often than not Brighton shirts are the ones most on display. The way the club has repaired all the damage of the wilderness years and re-built our fanbase is fantastic. Hats off to the club.

Last edited:

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Of course we are! When you are on the cusp of being promoted to the Premier League isn't that hunting for glory? You've earned that entitlement by playing bloody good football, and as supporters, we are part of that.

Perhaps the glory hunter that you're referring to is the instant "fan" who will chose the likes of Chelsea or Man.City or Man.Utd or Liverpool etc. because . . . . they just want to be associated with the success bit. Once their chosen team hits the buffers they'll bugger off as quickly as they arrived - and good riddance!

ahem...Burnley exist

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm obviously not much of a hunter if it's glory I've been after for the last 38 years.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Isn't a bit of glory what we all want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Isn't a bit of glory what we all want?

It's the cherry on top for me. To be honest, my main reason for watching Brighton is social rather than the football. I've met some truly great mates through this, I love being a part of this club and I love how this club is a big part of Sussex too.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's the cherry on top for me. To be honest, my main reason for watching Brighton is social rather than the football. I've met some truly great mates through this, I love being a part of this club and I love how this club is a big part of Sussex too.

I agree, but as you allude to a little bit of glory hunted out every now and then doesn't go amiss. We've done our fair share of waiting for it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Remember standing in the queue at the Goldstone for the last night game (Barnet?) and the guy behind us was having a little moan about how many people had showed up and used the term glory hunters. There was a pause as just how ridiculous that sounded sunk in and him and his mates laughed. We were bottom of the football league.

Ian Baird scored off his chest and their bald player got sent off - won 1-0 - my last game at the Goldstone - and yes I was about 10 :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I agree, but as you allude to a little bit of glory hunted out every now and then doesn't go amiss. We've done our fair share of waiting for it.

Damn right, yes and it makes it all that sweeter. I told my eldest after we beat Man City at Withdean - next time he saw a plastic Man U fan ask him how it felt celebrating at home watching them win their 8th, 9th, whatever league title. Because you can times that by a thousand and still not get near how happy we were that night.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Damn right, yes and it makes it all that sweeter. I told my eldest after we beat Man City at Withdean - next time he saw a plastic Man U fan ask him how it felt celebrating at home watching them win their 8th, 9th, whatever league title. Because you can times that by a thousand and still not get near how happy we were that night.

[emoji3]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here