Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenihan to Hull City

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The sensible thing for him to do would be, having now seen the Hull set up and spoken to them, to reflect on the relative merits of both clubs overnight and make a decision the following day.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
well i wont be happy unless we sign a player today if only to keep up our signing pattern - Mon Colunga, Tues Gardner, Wed Baldock...Thurs =? no excuses....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The sensible thing for him to do would be, having now seen the Hull set up and spoken to them, to reflect on the relative merits of both clubs overnight and make a decision the following day.

Or sign for Burnley, it's all the rage at the moment

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I like The Albion's way of handling these situations-as frustrating as it can be to supporters wanting the squad strengthening. We are not in a position to enter into a bidding war-even with clubs like Hull-when Premier League tv money is being waved about. If these players can't see beyond a bit of extra cash initially then sod 'em-we'll progress without them.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus: Cork are still waiting on decision from Brian Lenihan re: #bhafc or Hull. Nobody would, or should, be surprised if he is lured by Prem club.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Well, that's the end of that then.

You just know that as soon as Andy Naylor puts something on Twitter about a player, they're off somewhere else.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I thought this was done and dusted...

Dec 29, 2011
[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus: Cork are still waiting on decision from Brian Lenihan re: #bhafc or Hull. Nobody would, or should, be surprised if he is lured by Prem club.

Clearly not an easy decision for the kid. Perhaps we're more of a lure than some thought, but others think he should take the higher wage packet?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Clearly not an easy decision for the kid. Perhaps we're more of a lure than some thought, but others think he should take the higher wage packet?

What makes people so sure Hull would offer the higher wage though? I mean, it's possible that we are offering a first team contract whilst Hull are offering a development sqaud contract, which would probably make ours higher? It's the higher reputation of Hull and the premier league that could swing it to Hull's favour IMO.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
What makes people so sure Hull would offer the higher wage though? I mean, it's possible that we are offering a first team contract whilst Hull are offering a development sqaud contract, which would probably make ours higher? It's the higher reputation of Hull and the premier league that could swing it to Hull's favour IMO.

This. I think Steve Bruce said that he would be in their DS (or the equivalent) but i'd presume that he would be in the first team for us, as cover for Calde (going on the basis that Bruno is now being used in midfield). I don't know about the relative wages but it will be the premiership lure that will be the difference i fear.

Aug 28, 2014
Hull city fan in hostility.

I'd just like to point out a few things.

First, we may be a premier league club, but we're not a Manchester United hoarding every young player we can get our mits on. Joining a premier league club doesn't mean rotting in the reserves.

Second, we only have one proper right back, and a winger who can also play at full back. Whilst I don't expect him to really feature, if he signs he's probably got just as good a chance at playing here, specially with the added strain of the Europa league.

Third, we too have a nice flashy brand new academy and vastly improved our youth system. Sadly the improvements werent finalised in time to take review for this season, but it's all now of the standard of at least a cat 2 and next season it will have its status upgraded. We have spent a fair bit improving all that stuff last season and also on bringing in lots of very promising youngsters for a strong development squad.

Fourth, if he chooses us I think it will have little to do with our current premier league status, we could be a championship club next season and you could be a premier league club. More down to the fact we have a large Irish contingent here, one of whom is a Cork lad (Meyler) who is still very involved in stuff back at his home and with his hometown club. I believe that is our biggest pull for young Brian.

Fifth, premier league or not, I very much doubt the personal terms will be much different to whatever you've offered. We're not going to offer him £20k per week to go into our development squad. I don't think they'll be a factor.

I don't know how quick or easy it is to get to Ireland from Brighton, but it's not too far a drive to the ferry from Hull. That may make a difference to him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
from http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-transfer-talk-Ehsan-Hajsafi-Brian/story-22842890-detail/story.html

Lenihan inches closer

CORK defender Brian Lenihan is preparing to complete his transfer to Hull City in the next 24 hours.

Lenihan is believed to have underwent a medical at the Tigers yesterday after choosing the Premier League side ahead of Brighton.

Steve Bruce's recruitment team view Lenihan as a good long-term option and Cork will net a deal that will rise to in the region of €200,000 in addition to a sell-on clause, according to the Independent.

The 20-year-old agonised over his options this week after spending time in Brighton, but the top-flight operation made a strong play to secure his signature.

Lenihan will join with a substantial Irish contingent that includes former Cork City player David Meyler.

Read more at http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull...2842890-detail/story.html#CKVdBI8qLq8ta7V7.99

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

First, we may be a premier league club, but we're not a Manchester United hoarding every young player we can get our mits on. Joining a premier league club doesn't mean rotting in the reserves.

Second, we only have one proper right back, and a winger who can also play at full back. Whilst I don't expect him to really feature, if he signs he's probably got just as good a chance at playing here, specially with the added strain of the Europa league.

Third, we too have a nice flashy brand new academy and vastly improved our youth system. Sadly the improvements werent finalised in time to take review for this season, but it's all now of the standard of at least a cat 2 and next season it will have its status upgraded. We have spent a fair bit improving all that stuff last season and also on bringing in lots of very promising youngsters for a strong development squad.

Fourth, if he chooses us I think it will have little to do with our current premier league status, we could be a championship club next season and you could be a premier league club. More down to the fact we have a large Irish contingent here, one of whom is a Cork lad (Meyler) who is still very involved in stuff back at his home and with his hometown club. I believe that is our biggest pull for young Brian.

Fifth, premier league or not, I very much doubt the personal terms will be much different to whatever you've offered. We're not going to offer him £20k per week to go into our development squad. I don't think they'll be a factor.

I don't know how quick or easy it is to get to Ireland from Brighton, but it's not too far a drive to the ferry from Hull. That may make a difference to him.

Nothing to argue with there. (Except I very much doubt you'll be a Championship club next season).

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
All fair enough points but I suspect you are under playing your current status as a strong factor in his decision.

Lets be honest as it stands you can guarantee top flight football, something we cannot do and you also have a better chance of being a Premier League club next season than we do.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Fair points all round.

We do have a fair number of Irish connections ourselves, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here