Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simon Chamberlain

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Going through some old Gulls Eye’s and came across another former potential Albion saviour.

A former Argus Sports Editor recalled the day the late, great, John Vinicombe went for lunch with Chamberlain and went back to the Argus newsroom and announced “I’ve just met the next owner and Chairman of Brighton and Hove Albion”

But whatever happened to our wouldbe fairy godfather?

In musical terms the Goldstone’s version of Babylon Zoo, as a self described ‘die hard’ back in the early 1990’s did Chamberlain move away, give up on the Seagulls or does anyone know if he’s an Amex regular?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Now there is a blast from the past. For me at the time, he came across as a real chancer and something of a fantasist. I was neither surprised or disappointed that it came to nothing.

Edit - didn't see manofsussex post above, when I wrote this, which now reads as a little insensitive.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lenny - do you schedule your Gulls Eye reviews on a rolling 6 year basis?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
According to someone who knew him here, I am right and so are you - http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?287894-Whatever-happened-to

I went to school with Simon Chamberlain. I too was very surprised when he turned up wanting to buy the club. He obviously did pretty well for himself, but certainly not at that time. Just goes to show really as he was not thought to be one of the bright sparks at school (neither was I, it has to be said). Am very sorry to hear that he passed away - far too young.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I often wonder if he was the inspiration for DK to buy the club thinking if he can do it so can i. Wasnt there a similar type fantasist wanted to buy Man Utd?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I often wonder if he was the inspiration for DK to buy the club thinking if he can do it so can i. Wasnt there a similar type fantasist wanted to buy Man Utd?

Michael Knighton - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Knighton

Upon seeing this thread earlier there were 2 names from other clubs that sprung to mind. Michael Knighton and Spencer Trethewy at Aldershot - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Trethewy

I remember Spencer Trethewy being interviewed on 'Saint and Greavsie' saying he was going take Aldershot to the 1st division to take on Liverpool. :lolol:

That's scary that he's still involved in football. I didn't know that until today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I must just explain before Stats Bros or anybody else get on their high horse that is not a knock at. DK who bought us with in relative terms for buying a football club very little wealth.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here