Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Unlimited-BBC Sussex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Cantor and Aspinall are top draw analysers, a few calls from fans would be good though.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Just started listening to 'Together: A Brighton & Hove Albion Podcast'.

http://https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/together-a-brighton-hove-albion-podcast/id1428840186?mt=2

Bit of a different podcast. An American-based Seagulls fan reviewing the statistical and tactical side of Albion performances.

This guy is incredibly frustrating. There's potential there, but I think he'd be much better if he had someone to bounce ideas off of and to challenge him on certain things as it becomes a monologue/rant at times. I'm also very pro-stats, but his use of them is often really poor.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Just started listening to 'Together: A Brighton & Hove Albion Podcast'.

http://https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/together-a-brighton-hove-albion-podcast/id1428840186?mt=2

Bit of a different podcast. An American-based Seagulls fan reviewing the statistical and tactical side of Albion performances.

This is my podcast, to have someone link it without me plugging it is a surreal feeling, thank you!

This guy is incredibly frustrating. There's potential there, but I think he'd be much better if he had someone to bounce ideas off of and to challenge him on certain things as it becomes a monologue/rant at times. I'm also very pro-stats, but his use of them is often really poor.

And this is all entirely fair criticism. I myself feel that I have lost structure when it comes to going to the stats the last few episodes and have started to go further down the subjective route, which goes against my own USP that I was wanting to use, I think seeing this was a good wake up call to steer me back on track. Any and all feedback will be noted and worked on, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this so I will continue to grow to the best of my ability. Is there anything that sticks out to you that you'd like to see done differently?

Regarding someone else on the podcast, I would love it but I don't have anyone around me that is an Albion fan to share a room with, and doing an interview over the phone is relatively straightforward but I haven't got the money to invest in quality gear to make it sound good enough if I have someone calling in yet for a conversation as opposed to interview. It's also something I do want to do though, and might splurge on some stuff next summer so I can do that!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This is my podcast, to have someone link it without me plugging it is a surreal feeling, thank you!

And this is all entirely fair criticism. I myself feel that I have lost structure when it comes to going to the stats the last few episodes and have started to go further down the subjective route, which goes against my own USP that I was wanting to use, I think seeing this was a good wake up call to steer me back on track. Any and all feedback will be noted and worked on, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this so I will continue to grow to the best of my ability. Is there anything that sticks out to you that you'd like to see done differently?

Regarding someone else on the podcast, I would love it but I don't have anyone around me that is an Albion fan to share a room with, and doing an interview over the phone is relatively straightforward but I haven't got the money to invest in quality gear to make it sound good enough if I have someone calling in yet for a conversation as opposed to interview. It's also something I do want to do though, and might splurge on some stuff next summer so I can do that!

Well, if it's any consolation, I do listen most weeks. So whilst I have frustrations, I clearly still feel it's worth listening to. Personally, my three points for improvement would be those proposed in my previous post. 1) having engagement with someone else (although you've noted that there are reasons you struggle to do this). 2) I think that sometimes you monologue/rant a little too much. I think this is linked to point 1 as you have no one to bounce off, nor do you have anyone to pull you up on some of the things you say, but maybe have a clearer idea of what you want to say on each topic and keep on topic i.e. via some for of outlined script. Lastly, 3) I'm not keen on your use of stats and I think at times they actually undermine the tactical or technical points you're trying to make. I'd be asking myself, if I were you, whether the stats you use to make each of your points are actually relevant and really useful. If they aren't, cut them. Or try to add more context to them if you're desperate to use them i.e. what are the tactical reasons player X may have had a poorer pass completion rate one week vs the next.

I hope that helps.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To give people an idea if they are poor then this season the guests have been, amongst others, Kerry Mayo, Adam Virgo, Henry Winter, Alan Mullery, Guy Butters, Spencer Vignes (talking about Bloody Southerners), Ben Thatcher (Royal Blood), Elliot Bennett, Don Goodman, Tommy Elphick, Jules Breach and a last minute booking no doubt with someone called Kieran Maguire.

It's true, they were going to talk to Chris Hughton's milkman, but he let them down at the last minute, so went for the next row down on the celeb list ladder.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Well, if it's any consolation, I do listen most weeks. So whilst I have frustrations, I clearly still feel it's worth listening to. Personally, my three points for improvement would be those proposed in my previous post. 1) having engagement with someone else (although you've noted that there are reasons you struggle to do this). 2) I think that sometimes you monologue/rant a little too much. I think this is linked to point 1 as you have no one to bounce off, nor do you have anyone to pull you up on some of the things you say, but maybe have a clearer idea of what you want to say on each topic and keep on topic i.e. via some for of outlined script. Lastly, 3) I'm not keen on your use of stats and I think at times they actually undermine the tactical or technical points you're trying to make. I'd be asking myself, if I were you, whether the stats you use to make each of your points are actually relevant and really useful. If they aren't, cut them. Or try to add more context to them if you're desperate to use them i.e. what are the tactical reasons player X may have had a poorer pass completion rate one week vs the next.

I hope that helps.

All input helps, thank you! :albion2:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
All input helps, thank you! :albion2:

Had you thought about getting people to send you audio feedback from their opinions on games? I know other podcasts do that. It could be fan reaction to the games that have been played, which you could incorporate into your analysis. It’s a way around getting other people on and could engage a wider audience.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cantor and Aspinall are top draw analysers, a few calls from fans would be good though.

Ye but they do that on a match day....and some of the calls are a tad cringeworthy...although they might think that if I called....but personally I like it as it is...maybe needs to be publicised a bit more..on here?

This weeks show
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06qghlr

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Had you thought about getting people to send you audio feedback from their opinions on games? I know other podcasts do that. It could be fan reaction to the games that have been played, which you could incorporate into your analysis. It’s a way around getting other people on and could engage a wider audience.

That is a really good idea actually, and really easy to do. Noted!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On this subject, I've been asked and, in some cases, nagged, about starting an NSC podcast.

The suggestion is that something a little bit more, ahem, "raw", would fill a niche not currently occupied by the various others out there.

I've sort of convinced myself to take a proper look in the New Year. Should you have any interest in participating, do let me know.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The Albion Roar IS the only game in town. Unless Harty makes a comeback and then there'd be two decent shows.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I always listen but could be a lot better.
No input from Albion fans and the weekly guest is normally a poor choice.
A great opportunity for them to make an excellent radio programme.
It would be worth a listen if our old favourite Ian Hart was presenting the show.
Any other ideas?

God no. Harty was rightly consigned to the role of former radio show host!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On this subject, I've been asked and, in some cases, nagged, about starting an NSC podcast.

The suggestion is that something a little bit more, ahem, "raw", would fill a niche not currently occupied by the various others out there.

I've sort of convinced myself to take a proper look in the New Year. Should you have any interest in participating, do let me know.

Haywards Heath just went a little giddy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Oh yes...but can we nominate participants...ive got a couple in mind :whistle:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here