Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Nice. Can't be arsed with a fixy in Brighton though!

Yeah its a bit flatter in Coventry than down there! Still a few decent climbs about though which I've managed to struggle up! I only really ride fixed/single speed for ease of maintenance and fitness, not any kind of fashion statement. (not cool enough for that)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got myself one of these through my work's Cycle scheme the other day. A bit hipster-ish but is a lovely ride. My old bike is now gathering dust in the shed...

View attachment 55378

Oh jeeez wept, I feel like I'm in a horror film.

Any minute now an axe is coming to come through my screen closely followed by a maniacal scream OF

HEERRREEEESSSSS PANNTTANNNIIIIIIIII

I'm sure it's a lovely bike Seagully.
I'm sure you'll have many wonderful miles on it.
It's not neon day-glo orange.
It's not a reconditioned former legend of the road.
But it is still a fixie.

Please don't tell us you ride around in a check shirt with a beard and quiff :lol:

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Reading this thread has encouraged me to get back into cycling. Last biking was all off road but I've got quite taken with the idea of getting fit with some road miles. Having read some of the comments and online reviews I've just trading with the devil and procured one of these...

image.jpg

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] The bib numbers are out for the Etape, so you can find out which pen you will be starting in.
Just go to 'my orders' on the ASO Challenges website.

I dropped all the way back to the final pen last year to start with my brother. We didn't experience too much logjam even though there was a Cat. 3 quite early on to bunch people up. With the flattish start this year it should be even less of a problem wherever you are drawn.

Having said that I'm quite pleased to be much further up the starting list this year!

Just under a month until the big day now... How is all the training going?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reading this thread has encouraged me to get back into cycling. Last biking was all off road but I've got quite taken with the idea of getting fit with some road miles. Having read some of the comments and online reviews I've just trading with the devil and procured one of these...

Good stuff it's widely regarded as the class leader.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Oh jeeez wept, I feel like I'm in a horror film.

Any minute now an axe is coming to come through my screen closely followed by a maniacal scream OF

HEERRREEEESSSSS PANNTTANNNIIIIIIIII

I'm sure it's a lovely bike Seagully.
I'm sure you'll have many wonderful miles on it.
It's not neon day-glo orange.
It's not a reconditioned former legend of the road.
But it is still a fixie.

Please don't tell us you ride around in a check shirt with a beard and quiff :lol:

hahaha! No beard, no quiff, no checked shirt honest! I don't even own a messenger bag....

Usually just wear a t-shirt, shorts and a helmet. No hipster gear and equally no expensive 'proper' cycling gear.

Edit: this is my old bike which I inadvertently did up in Albion colours. Not quite as hispter as my new one!

1959307_10152417234844809_4303127137441450666_n(1).jpg

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Got myself one of these through my work's Cycle scheme the other day. A bit hipster-ish but is a lovely ride. My old bike is now gathering dust in the shed...

View attachment 55378

Did you find the cycle to work scheme really beneficial? I know I have a bit of an odd tax code (does that make a difference?), so I considered buying a road bike as a bit of a treat, but I seem to be paying 70% of it, which given that I'm limited to Halfords (?) doesn't seem that great.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Did you find the cycle to work scheme really beneficial? I know I have a bit of an odd tax code (does that make a difference?), so I considered buying a road bike as a bit of a treat, but I seem to be paying 70% of it, which given that I'm limited to Halfords (?) doesn't seem that great.

To be honest I just wanted to upgrade to a newer more expensive bike without forking out (excuse the pun) upfront. You still have to pay a lump sum at the end of the hire agreement to keep the bike but friends at my work have said this was never asked for when theirs finished.

Plus Halfords will usually source other bikes that they don't have instore or on their website if you ask them.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just back from a spin out, including a new road to me.

The B whatever from Ashington to Adversane, one of the nicest stretches of road I've ridden on, in Sussex.
Just about pothole free, gently rolling, and minimal traffic, happy days.

I also past 3 new hero's coming out of Partridge Green.
2 very pensioners, and 1 very near pensioner, their combined age was easily over 200, all the gear, also of an age.

"do you want us to slow down for you Eric"
"no keep going"

Marvelous marvelous scenes.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Evans take Bike scheme vouchers as do a few local cycle shops. When I did mine through work a while ago I'm pretty sure they listed all the shops that took them.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I'm just back from a spin out, including a new road to me.

The B whatever from Ashington to Adversane, one of the nicest stretches of road I've ridden on, in Sussex.
Just about pothole free, gently rolling, and minimal traffic, happy days.

I also past 3 new hero's coming out of Partridge Green.
2 very pensioners, and 1 very near pensioner, their combined age was easily over 200, all the gear, also of an age.

"do you want us to slow down for you Eric"
"no keep going"

Marvelous marvelous scenes.

That's the B2133 that runs just north of Ashington. There are some lovely routes just north of West Chilts but I'm based in Littlehampton these days so I'll have to work on my improving my fitness a little before I go too far north of the downs. Houghton Hill up to Whiteways will be lovely going down but a killer at the back end of a long ride for an unfit rider :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here