Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Named and Shamed

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder what the general response to this thread had been if it had been Crystal Palace football club that had messed up the reimbursed expenses of one of their employees which had caused them to be put in a different category of employee and caused them to be guilty of improperly paying their employee. I believe the reaction by people on this message board would have been totally different.

In either case, whether it was BHAFC or CPFC I would have been just as adamant that the employee should never have been paid incorrectly and that the punishment received by the football club, whether BHAFC or CPFC, handed out by HMRC was fair.

It's funny you should mention CPFC. I've had a look back through some of your posts. You drove 'down' to Crawley in the airport parking thread, and in another thread, mentioned flushing an Albion kit down the WC.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It's funny you should mention CPFC. I've had a look back through some of your posts. You drove 'down' to Crawley in the airport parking thread, and in another thread, mentioned flushing an Albion kit down the WC.

I live in Darlington, far north of Crawley. Sometimes I get so upset when the Albion lose I want to flush my Albion kit down the WC. I never truly have. The joke in that thread was that I got a bigger toilet so the kit would not get stuck in the plumbing.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I live in Darlington, far north of Crawley. Sometimes I get so upset when the Albion lose I want to flush my Albion kit down the WC. I never truly have. The joke in that thread was that I got a bigger toilet so the kit would not get stuck in the plumbing.

A bigger toilet wtf :ohmy:where can I buy one of them

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
HMRC are brilliant at releasing these things and I welcome it tenfold.........I have no doubt that this was a genuine error by the club because we are all capable of mistakes and HMRC releasing these things will keep Employers on their toes on such matters.

Instead of saying the club was disappointed by HMRC. It should have come out and said '' Yeah we admit we made a mistake. This is how it came about and we are glad that HMRC pointed it out to us because this allows us to rectify matters and we are going to ensure it never happens again at BHA.

If any other error occurs in the future on our part, we would hope to be notified in advance and we will be sure to not only rectify it but also to compensate any one who has lost out due to our error.

That would for me have been the ideal response.

This is not a a major ''faux pas'' on behalf of the club but in terms of monetary value it is minimal and transparency in the future rather than self preservation is always the best way forward.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
HMRC are brilliant at releasing these things and I welcome it tenfold.........I have no doubt that this was a genuine error by the club because we are all capable of mistakes and HMRC releasing these things will keep Employers on their toes on such matters.

Except [MENTION=33916]Albion my Albion[/MENTION] it would seem

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Albion my albion has done a spectacular 'Enrest v Rosenior in the Sun' type single poster moan crusade.

When added to the 'Tony won't buy me a cup of tea' saga, it seems that NSC has become Moan Stand Chat.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I believe it was actually Driver8 who made the "admin error" on pay but he/she will never read this because I'm now on his/her ignore list.

You come across as a bit of a tit

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
From what I read in the clubs statement, it seems to me that by paying a person on work experience too much in the way of expenses, changed his status from an exempt person to a non exempt person.
There are rules which state that only reasonable and relevant expenses should be paid, otherwise the person becomes someone who is paid and therefore has to be paid minimum wage.
This is not the club being tight, it is the club falling foul of a rule that allows them to pay nothing, but if they pay something they have to pay minimum wage.

Here is an example from HMRC.
Example 3: work experience with a financial reward

David successfully applies for a work experience position in a small graphic design company, after seeing an advert offering £50 ‘travel expenses’ for each week. He receives these ‘travel expenses’ despite walking to work.

David should be paid at least the NMW.

Paying a financial reward which is more than paying back genuine ‘out-of-pocket’ expenses is evidence that David is a worker for NMW purposes.

you can read all about it here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-minimum-wage-work-experience-and-internships
Aaaahhh! Now it all makes sense why HMRC are saying the individual was underpaid while the club say they were just took generous with their expenses. Thanks for sharing that, as I was struggling to understand how these could both be true.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Instead of saying the club was disappointed by HMRC. It should have come out and said '' Yeah we admit we made a mistake. This is how it came about and we are glad that HMRC pointed it out to us because this allows us to rectify matters and we are going to ensure it never happens again at BHA.

If any other error occurs in the future on our part, we would hope to be notified in advance and we will be sure to not only rectify it but also to compensate any one who has lost out due to our error.

That would for me have been the ideal response.

This is not a a major ''faux pas'' on behalf of the club but in terms of monetary value it is minimal and transparency in the future rather than self preservation is always the best way forward.

If I were named and shamed as someone who has underpaid an employee, it would rankle a bit if it had come about because I overpaid expenses to a work experience lad, meaning that he was now judged to be an employee by HMRC.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I' ve come across some tits...... before!

Ask me how I'm spelling coming?
CUmin!!!

I sadly now have a picture in my head of a gurning Timmy at the vinegar stokes stage with his Union Jack waistcoat on sloshing out a pearl necklace over some poor woman, and it's not a pretty sight.

D

Deleted User X18H

I sadly now have a picture in my head of a gurning Timmy at the vinegar stokes stage with his Union Jack waistcoat on sloshing out a pearl necklace over some poor woman, and it's not a pretty sight.
Can you send it to me ?

(Someone will undoubtably mock one up)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here