Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NO Zamora and NO Baldock for tomorrow night!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As an aside, and it may have been mentioned elsewhere but I was too busy being drunk on Saturday night, wasn't Hemed absolutely tremendous on Saturday?

Timed his runs to precision. Even when he was caught offside in the second half, the TV showed it wasn't. Missed goal was one for his left foot, although outside of the right I have seen score in the same position. Baldock? and Hemed went for the same ball (see this before and with Zamora).

So his the best partner for Hemed? Or should the second striker be slightly deeper?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Shame about Baldock, but no shock. Wilson can score goals and Hemed can set them up. I think we will be fine.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
As an aside, and it may have been mentioned elsewhere but I was too busy being drunk on Saturday night, wasn't Hemed absolutely tremendous on Saturday?

I said the same in the player ratings thread after several had said he was poor - he was outstanding on Saturday.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not at all I have never advocated spending TB money but we are in the best position that we have been and likely to be for another couple of seasons to get to the Premier and it would be foolish to miss out for the lack of 2 loan signings. 1 to cover Bong when we were on such a super run and to not cover a striker for the run in knowing 2 of our main strikers are injury prone and likely to miss games.

But you accept that the club did try...
They just didn't manage to land their main target (ie: presumably Murray) and their defender target ( Ridgewell) wasn't available until January (leaving Calde)...
I guess nobody including Hughton would admit that was 100% ideal but its disengenuous for you to suggest as you keep doing again and again and again that the club weren't aware in either case. Of course they were, they certainly did evaluate the risks of this approach and concluded that they were acceptable.

Its even more out there to suggest that its the single difference that will guarantee or not promotion this season.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its a pity we are not seeing the best of Wilson, if he is suffering from glandular fever or something similar.

Hopefully, he will be 100% fit for the playoffs if we miss out on the top 2. Still think there is a lot of talent in there somewhere.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If he was ill I doubt he would be allowed near the squad! Why does he get so much leeway with fans compared with our own players like JFC, Barnes, Stockdale etc.? Is it just because he is from man utd?

Not all illnesses are contagious.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
If he was ill I doubt he would be allowed near the squad! Why does he get so much leeway with fans compared with our own players like JFC, Barnes, Stockdale etc.? Is it just because he is from man utd?

Leeway? From the many vicious and very possibly uninformed comments from some on this board about lack of effort? I couldn't give a toss where Wilson is from. Yes, he (and others) didn't have a great game Saturday. Even so, he would almost certainly have scored having got into a perfect scoring position before a dreadful cross behind him. And had he scored a likely winning goal, then he'd have been hailed a hero on this same board. And if being sick again on the pitch and a lethargic performance aren't evidence of an ongoing fitness problem, what is? It would be a damned sight more helpful to support our players unless there is reason not to.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But you accept that the club did try...
They just didn't manage to land their main target (ie: presumably Murray) and their defender target ( Ridgewell) wasn't available until January (leaving Calde)...
I guess nobody including Hughton would admit that was 100% ideal but its disengenuous for you to suggest as you keep doing again and again and again that the club weren't aware in either case. Of course they were, they certainly did evaluate the risks of this approach and concluded that they were acceptable.

Its even more out there to suggest that its the single difference that will guarantee or not promotion this season.

What you seem to be missing if as you say neither were available why not try for somebody else You are not surely suggesting that Ridgewell was the only option although not a left back. I also believe that if the money was right Howe would have given in and whatever the cost it would have been good investment. I would think it was more a question of the money not wanting to be spent rather than players not available. As they say every man has his price. As I have said many times that it is probably now boring so I shall not mention it again but those 2 decisions are going to cost us automatic promotion and we must hope for the lottery of the play offs.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Lots of the usual contrasting opinions on this thread as you'd expect from NSC but I can't help but think how much better off we'd be at this stage if we had splurged a fat wad of cash on a really top class championship striker. The likes of which a few of the other teams seem to have. I just think that given the opportunities we often create we would be well clear of the likes of lump ball Burnley.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere

Listen, you don't get to be banging on the door of the first team of one of the biggest clubs in the world without having some serious talent.Clearly there is something very wrong and there's no one more disappointed than me, still think he will come good. Tomorrow I would start with Skalak, the idea of having him and Murphy switching positions in a fluid front two is appealing, with Knocky raiding down the right we are not short of pace. This gives the Czech lad a real chance to prove his credentials.Wilson can always come on with 30 mins to go to add a bit more of a goal threat if thing are going tits up.:clap2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What you seem to be missing if as you say neither were available why not try for somebody else You are not surely suggesting that Ridgewell was the only option although not a left back. I also believe that if the money was right Howe would have given in and whatever the cost it would have been good investment. I would think it was more a question of the money not wanting to be spent rather than players not available. As they say every man has his price. As I have said many times that it is probably now boring so I shall not mention it again but those 2 decisions are going to cost us automatic promotion and we must hope for the lottery of the play offs.

IF ONLY.
:rolleyes:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not at all I have never advocated spending TB money

This however contradicts with

it would be foolish to miss out for the lack of 2 loan signings.

When you make a loan signing you (a) Pay a loan fee (see the £2.5 million comment about Vydra above) and (b) Pay wages to the player. This money comes from Tony Bloom, there's no extra funds coming from fans, sponsors or TV to pay it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This however contradicts with

When you make a loan signing you (a) Pay a loan fee (see the £2.5 million comment about Vydra above) and (b) Pay wages to the player. This money comes from Tony Bloom, there's no extra funds coming from fans, sponsors or TV to pay it.

Due to the prize at the end of the road that is surely a worthwhile loan payment. 2 or 3 years in the Premier and The Amex will be nearly paid for although no guarantee we will be trading in the black.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Due to the prize at the end of the road that is surely a worthwhile loan payment. 2 or 3 years in the Premier and The Amex will be nearly paid for although no guarantee we will be trading in the black.

I don't understand you. You originally said you've never advocated spending TB's money, now you are saying it is a worthwhile payment?

There are no guarantees such a loan payment will work anyway. How many Premier League games will Reading be playing next season for their £2.5 million?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't understand you. You originally said you've never advocated spending TB's money, now you are saying it is a worthwhile payment?

There are no guarantees such a loan payment will work anyway. How many Premier League games will Reading be playing next season for their £2.5 million?

In the normal way I wouldnt advocate spending his money but to me this was worthwhile investment. Could he have loaned the club the money and got refund on reaching the Premier. Whilst there be can be no guarantee of promotion but I am sure that had we replaced Bong and got GM or similar in we would be sitting in Burnleys position now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In the normal way I wouldnt advocate spending his money but to me this was worthwhile investment. Could he have loaned the club the money and got refund on reaching the Premier. Whilst there be can be no guarantee of promotion but I am sure that had we replaced Bong and got GM or similar in we would be sitting in Burnleys position now.

Holy crap, change the ****ing record!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Erm.....''so I shall not mention it again'' ....but then you just did...geez give it a rest will ya.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here