Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t Tesco broadband sold off to talktalk.. alternatives?

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Prioritise gaming traffic? Itchy beard is all I can say.

Indeed, I still havent worked out if this priorty happens at my end (if there were multiple users sharing the LAN) or by traffic shaping software at their end. At least they have some kind of policy for this issue. Talk Talk dont seem to have any policy. Hopefully Fibre will sort out the problem and give me a steady low ping.

http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/04/10/plusnets-prioritised-gaming-a-how-to/

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Also Mother in law has Virgin which is solely fed by them and they still blame BT for any issues IE broadband going down for days, going back to BT now as it is cheaper and more reliable

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A Tesco, Talk Talk, Sky, Post Office, You name it, broadband is a BT Openreach line with a different call centre. The only 'real' alternative is Virgin media.

not the whole story, Talk Talk (and Sky) place their own kit into many exchanges to have more control and affect on service. the lines are the same from there on.

on the gaming, i think they mean they dont throttle it. i dont think anyone would claim to prioritise game traffic as you wouldnt see an improvement. i liked Plusnet though, when i had issues they were very helpfful...

BT broadband will give you BT Sport for free and a £50 Sainsburys voucher.

...but i was tempted over the fence by this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hopefully Fibre will sort out the problem and give me a steady low ping.

latency is affected by everything else in the network between you and the game server. your ISP can do what can in thier network, but beyond that its not going to change. going to a US server is still going to travel over the same distance and still have the same latency. if the game server has a poor network, or, as often happens youget routed through a peering network that has problems, you arent going to change anything. Fibre isnt going to change ping time at all, it gives you superior bandwidth.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
BT just changed my provider from Voadaphone to EE and my reception is now crap they are sending me a booster to attaché to my home infinity broadband to help improve the signal at home, anyone else have this problem.:cry:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Talk Talk are the worst company in the history of the entire world. They ooze disgustingness from every scabrous pore. Run for your life is my advice.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
latency is affected by everything else in the network between you and the game server. your ISP can do what can in thier network, but beyond that its not going to change. going to a US server is still going to travel over the same distance and still have the same latency. if the game server has a poor network, or, as often happens youget routed through a peering network that has problems, you arent going to change anything. Fibre isnt going to change ping time at all, it gives you superior bandwidth.

You are right, but ping times do vary between ISP's so hopefully Plusnet improve things.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Virgin have the best broadband by miles. Not the cheapest of course, but you get what you pay for.

Very. Much. This.

When I got rid of BT Infinity 2 last year (cos the BBand kept dropping randomly and they couldn't fix it) the BT Customer Service agent gloated that it will be the same with the other providers as they all use the same infrastructure.

I said "Virgin?" - "Ah, that's different" he said.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Very. Much. This.

When I got rid of BT Infinity 2 last year (cos the BBand kept dropping randomly and they couldn't fix it) the BT Customer Service agent gloated that it will be the same with the other providers as they all use the same infrastructure.

I said "Virgin?" - "Ah, that's different" he said.

My BT Infinity contract is up soon and am thinking of switching to Virgin Broadband just to get rid of the landline charge!

Do you happen to have the 152MB version? If so what are the 'real world' speeds? (Or anyone else that has this speed?)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Left Talktalk for BT in December as BT is cheaper the difference in BT broadband and Talktalk fibre optic is not obvious. Talktalk call centre is a joke but not funny, it is rubbish being as you cannot understand them when they talk to you, at least I cant hence the change over. The free streaming of BT sport is a bonus.

Cannot get Virgin in Haywards Heath.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Also Mother in law has Virgin which is solely fed by them and they still blame BT for any issues IE broadband going down for days, going back to BT now as it is cheaper and more reliable

Virgin's ADSL product is still BTW. Its only when its fed over the cable TV network that it's not. Confusing that they offer both, but they do.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
My BT Infinity contract is up soon and am thinking of switching to Virgin Broadband just to get rid of the landline charge!

Do you happen to have the 152MB version? If so what are the 'real world' speeds? (Or anyone else that has this speed?)

I've just checked tonights speeds:
over Ethernet 105 down 12 up
over Wifi 65 down, 10 up

I have seen faster - about 130+

I recall that BT had a better upload speed, but I'm more than happy with what I've got. Service is pretty good too.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've just checked tonights speeds:
over Ethernet 105 down 12 up
over Wifi 65 down, 10 up

I have seen faster - about 130+

I recall that BT had a better upload speed, but I'm more than happy with what I've got. Service is pretty good too.

Thanks. :)

That's decent. I get around 56MB with BT.

I'm happy with my connection but just want to get rid of the landline which I never use!

I've calculated that I can get the top tier broadband with Virgin for the same cost as Infinity 2 and a landline with BT.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Plusnet has been part of BT since 2007 , still confuses some folk in Yorkshire who think they're getting "Yorkie" broadband.

PlusNet operate as a separate entity to BT retail, though part of the same group.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here