Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Starting line up swansea

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm sure he will be used, I'm just not convinced he's ready for a Premier League start with only a slightly rusty-looking (and understandably so) 75 minutes against a mid-table League Two side under his belt after being out for 2 months.

I'm sure he will be too - just saying that at £14M he's got to be a first choice for the first team very soon, if not straight away (although I do realise that our previous record signing spent a while kicking his heels too).

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Although his first touch in the box was to hit the post and possibly his 2nd was to score with a crisp finish. Not bad. Admittedly he was less clinical after that though!

Agreed, but 1st competative game for 10 weeks, I thought he looked good considering lack of game time

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
I'd would exactly what the opposition wouldn't expect, so I would start him.

Ryan
Schelotto Duffy Dunk Bong
Stephens Propper Gross
Locadia Murray Izquierdo

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Would it? Two reasons why he might not:

He’s played c70 minutes against a mid table League Two side. If he was match fit and on his game he could have had 4 or 5 in the first half. I’m not sure that’s enough preparation for what is our bigger game of the season.

I’m not sure any position other than wide right, in a 4-4-1-1, is available based on recent performances, and that doesn’t seem to be his best position by all accounts.

But...

1. he had the 70 mins precisely for the reason to get him match fit...
2. we need to win our most important game of the season, and 4-4-2 with him as striker maximizes the chances of a win IMHO... in case you forgot, he did actually score on his debut...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But...

1. he had the 70 mins precisely for the reason to get him match fit...
2. we need to win our most important game of the season, and 4-4-2 with him as striker maximizes the chances of a win IMHO... in case you forgot, he did actually score on his debut...

My starting point is Hughton will not play anything other than a 4-4-1-1 and if that's the case, the only spot I see as being available, assuming everyone is fit, is wide right.

If he goes 4-4-2 then it all changes. But I don't think he will.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, he is. The lack of appreciation on this site, (as evidenced in most of the line ups in this thread), for Solly March is baffling.

At Southampton, March was instrumental in our only goal (winning the penalty) and put in a fantastic shift - the one player calm in holding the ball and winning free kicks when we were under the cosh at the end.

At Stoke he was instrumental in our only goal - great turn on halfway to open up the space, and the excellent 1-2 to release Izquierdo into the box.

On Saturday he was very comfortably our best attacking player, beating his man for fun. His understanding with Suttner was terrific, and if Locadia, Baldock and Knockaert had done their bit, he'd have racked up 2 or 3 assists.

I agree... Solly by far our best forward against Cov...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So, the general opinion seems to be that we won't start with Locadia. Well, he's got no experience of PL football, so of course CH will be too cautious to risk him. I'm surprised TB didn't think of that before writing out a cheque for £14M - he must be spitting feathers now!

No, I don't know how CH will use Locadia - but I'm damn sure TB hasn't paid £14M for another addition to our U23s.

This... too cautious if he doesn't start... we should not forget he will have another full week of training before we play Swansea...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
My starting point is Hughton will not play anything other than a 4-4-1-1 and if that's the case, the only spot I see as being available, assuming everyone is fit, is wide right.

I think you're right, and I think a front 3 of him, Jose and Murray/Ulloa is the way to go- Solly and AK natural replacements off the bench. At the moment i still think AK will serve us best coming on against a tiring defence.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I think he SHOULD go for 4-4-2 at home to the bottom 14 (including Swansea), stick with 4-4-1-1 when playing top 6 home or away, and maybe some of bottom 14 away...

Locadia certainly will NOT play wide right...

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think he SHOULD go for 4-4-2 at home to the bottom 14 (including Swansea), stick with 4-4-1-1 when playing top 6 home or away, and maybe some of bottom 14 away...

Locadia certainly will NOT play wide right...

I've watched Swansea's irritating wins under CC. He packs the midfield with technical passers, is very defensive and has a single roaming striker with pace harrassing the back 4. Unfortunately, it's working. They mug teams on the counter or with a set piece header.

We need the match the numbers in midfield otherwise we'll get outplayed. I'd play 3 in the middle including Gross, with Locadia on the right and Izquierdo on the left.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I've watched Swansea's irritating wins under CC. He packs the midfield with technical passers, is very defensive and has a single roaming striker with pace harrassing the back 4. Unfortunately, it's working. They mug teams on the counter or with a set piece header.

We need the match the numbers in midfield otherwise we'll get outplayed. I'd play 3 in the middle including Gross, with Locadia on the right and Izquierdo on the left.

Well, they would have a problem with us too, if we go 4-4-2... not sure they'd cope... we've gotta show more confidence in our own abilities IMHO (key point)... if we went 4-3-3, and I understand your logic, then I still wouldn't put Locadia on the right, since he clearly favours playing up the middle, secondly on the left...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At £14M, wouldn't you think we'd only pay that sort of money if he was better than whoever else we've got to play up front? So, in a 4-4-1-1, Murray's place would be up for grabs. TB is hardly likely to sanction paying £14M for someone who they consider not as good as what we've got already.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, they would have a problem with us too, if we go 4-4-2... not sure they'd cope... we've gotta show more confidence in our own abilities IMHO (key point)... if we went 4-3-3, and I understand your logic, then I still wouldn't put Locadia on the right, since he clearly favours playing up the middle, secondly on the left...

Although we're debating the system, I'm sure any Albion team with Locadia and an in form Izquierdo in it, will be more confident in attack and threatening. The recently improved squad allows that confidence. These mini cup finals are must wins IMO.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At £14M, wouldn't you think we'd only pay that sort of money if he was better than whoever else we've got to play up front? So, in a 4-4-1-1, Murray's place would be up for grabs. TB is hardly likely to sanction paying £14M for someone who they consider not as good as what we've got already.

Of course.

But Murray has been in good form. I'm not saying Locadia isn't better then Murray, I'm saying I think that Hughton would still go for Murray for this game as it's his way.

Izquierdo cost a zillion pounds and barely got a kick for a while, with Knockaert and March preferred over him.

What we've paid for a player won't be a factor that Hughton considers when selecting a side for any particular game.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Here's my team:

Ryan
Schelotto Duffy Dunk Bong
March Stephens Propper Izquierdo
Murray Locadia

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm pretty sure CH won't leave Murray out.

Locadia was OK on Saturday, but it was after all Coventry, a pretty average league two side - he'll need games to get up to speed.

I'd so with same team as Stoke - Solly on the right.

IMO Solly /AK is the only real choice that Chris has on Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here