Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] HMRC

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With reference to no particular player or club but there seems to be an ongoing investigation into football in general by HMRC concerning many clubs and players with regard to players image rights What is the problem that is causing this concern.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Not only footballers but other sportspeople too have got themselves caught up in tax dodges. Generally a case of unscrupulous advisers and naive and greedy clients.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What is the problem that is causing this concern? Are you really asking?

I'm guessing HMRC think they are not being paid their dues.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There seemed to be a flurry of arrests and investigations into West Ham and Newcastle, but nothing seems to have come of that. I suppose it is still ongoing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is the problem that is causing this concern? Are you really asking?

I'm guessing HMRC think they are not being paid their dues.

I fully accept that but what particular aspect of it makes players/ clubs believe they are not liable to declare it and pay the tax as they do any other income. Is it to do with the fact that most players are now private sole traders for tax purposes? I know that when Gary Stevens left us for Tottenham his company Gary Stevens Enterprises were paid by Spurs and his company then paid him.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
With reference to no particular player or club but there seems to be an ongoing investigation into football in general by HMRC concerning many clubs and players with regard to players image rights What is the problem that is causing this concern.

The answer is always Jlloyd Samuel.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I fully accept that but what particular aspect of it makes players/ clubs believe they are not liable to declare it and pay the tax as they do any other income. Is it to do with the fact that most players are now private sole traders for tax purposes? I know that when Gary Stevens left us for Tottenham his company Gary Stevens Enterprises were paid by Spurs and his company then paid him.

Why does anyone try to evade tax? There's your answer.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's about people allegedly exploiting loop holes for personal gain.
Selfish really on those who work hard by doing the right thing and pay tax.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If you read the article in the Mail today, you will see it is not necessarily just the football related income.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Sole trader? More likely to be a limited company. There's plenty on public record at Companies House, i.e. Glenn Murray's Seventeen Media Ltd, Lewis Dunk's LD5 Ltd

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I would think it's 'advisors' that say if you do xyz then you don't pay tax, or as much, and it's perfectly legal. Which was legal until they close the loophole and it becomes illegal. Can't blame them for wanting to pay less tax, but it leaves them open to attack.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
An article from 2015.

This summer, the government announced increased funding of £60m by 2021 to allow HMRC to step up criminal investigations into serious and complex tax crime particularly focusing on the wealthy and companies

Screenshot_2018-01-26-13-19-02.png

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Lots of rich people in football, it seems an obvious area that HMRC should review closely. Far more scope for raising money for the treasury in this area than going after a few pounds a plumber may owe.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It is illegal to evade tax but not to avoid tax but by the answers given on here I would assume that nobody knows the answers as to what part of their earnings they would consider they are not liable to pay tax on.

Are you being obtuse for a reason? I'm not sure why you've started this thread when [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has requested that we don't comment on a certain individual's relationship with HMRC.

Some people pay tax and some people try to evade and/or avoid paying tax. People in the latter camp are trying to keep more money in their own bank accounts. Everyone knows that income will be subject to tax unless it is deemed tax free through a government backed scheme.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are you being obtuse for a reason? I'm not sure why you've started this thread when [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has requested that we don't comment on a certain individual's relationship with HMRC.

Some people pay tax and some people try to evade and/or avoid paying tax. People in the latter camp are trying to keep more money in their own bank accounts. Everyone knows that income will be subject to tax unless it is deemed tax free through a government backed scheme.
He is unable to stop himself discussing matters such as this. Every time there is a legal matter. Every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here