Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle Player Struck By Coin

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm glad Mark has entered the thread. I remember the incident well. When I view the pages he has created on his travels I often think of the legacy that terrible night has left.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've read this thread and I agree , the person who threw the coin is a idiot who I'm sure will be identified and banned . It's happened a few times and will keep happening if people can't control their emotions . No one likes it when players celebrate in front of you ( Newcastle overdid it last night ) but usually a " **** off " will suffice.

I hope you're right, and that they are identified. I've not seen the clip in full: did it come from the Holmesdale Fanatics area?

If that is the case, I don't hold out much hope of anyone amongst them coming forward to point out the culprit, do you?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I hope you're right, and that they are identified. I've not seen the clip in full: did it come from the Holmesdale Fanatics area?

If that is the case, I don't hold out much hope of anyone amongst them coming forward to point out the culprit, do you?

If it did come from the Holmesdale Fanatics area , why do you not hold out much hope of any of them coming forward to point out the culprit..? Surely there are hundreds of them and they can't all be mindless, moronic thugs...can they ?

I thought also that they were held in such high esteem by the Directors of Crystal Palace.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If it did come from the Holmesdale Fanatics area , why do you not hold out much hope of any of them coming forward to point out the culprit..? Surely there are hundreds of them and they can't all be thugs...can they ?

I don't know really. Maybe they're all nice, sensible lads in reality :rolleyes: But they do attempt to perpetuate a certain, anti-authority image, and for that reason, I have a strong feeling that- if it was one of them who threw the coin- none of them will be ringing the club any time soon to name him.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

Edna , It was in front of my block not in front of the fanatics ( about 2 blocks from them ) I've heard that a young lad got took out at ht so hopefully he gets dealt with .

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I don't know really. Maybe they're all nice, sensible lads in reality :rolleyes: But they do attempt to perpetuate a certain, anti-authority image, and for that reason, I have a strong feeling that- if it was one of them who threw the coin- none of them will be ringing the club any time soon to name him.

Unfortunately, if it is one of the Holmesdale Fanatics, I think you are right.

How odd, that the Palace Board of Directors think so highly of them and grant them special privileges.

I often wonder if because the club has so many scummy supporters, the Fanatics seem normal to them. A great pity that so many of them find there way on to this forum.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
If you want a slightly more gory one this was just minutes after the coin had sliced my eye in two! I did an article once for a Wolves fanzine after they had a few incidents of people throwing coins. I reiterate IMHO anyone who throws a coin is a total coward. If any of the Palace fans want to use this picture or for me to write an article happy to do! Not a happy memory but life goes on...
me in turkey 2.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna , It was in front of my block not in front of the fanatics ( about 2 blocks from them ) I've heard that a young lad got took out at ht so hopefully he gets dealt with .

Cheers for clarifying that :thumbsup:

Let us hope so.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Has this been reported in the media yet...? I would have thought if correct it would not escape the notice of your local rags up there..?

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I thought I heard on the radio that the FA, will not charge Palace, but will help them and the Police identify the 'fan' so that does not sound like they got him. I remember an old game at the Goldstone when an idiot threw a coin at a Preston player taking a corner, he was outed straight away by the fans around him. I am sure there are Palace fans who know the culprit. Also confirmed by a mate of mine that is was a block away from the drumming hood wearing Chavs. Credit to the Palace fans who in the main have condemned this, also what can the club do ? Ban all fans with coins in their pockets ? No, there will always be idiots letting their clubs down.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
If you want a slightly more gory one this was just minutes after the coin had sliced my eye in two! I did an article once for a Wolves fanzine after they had a few incidents of people throwing coins. I reiterate IMHO anyone who throws a coin is a total coward. If any of the Palace fans want to use this picture or for me to write an article happy to do! Not a happy memory but life goes on...
View attachment 63041

Jesus, horrible mate. Cuts through all the nonsense. I'll post a reference on the BBS. Hope you are well these days and follow the Albion as much as you wish.

Cheese_Roll

May 19, 2009
The mighty Palace
I’m Palace, I was hit by a coin ears ago and scarred. Luckily only on my lip. It travelled about 40 yards from the away section at home to Charlton. How’s your luck? Standing in a terrace with a few thousand in, my head turns and a 2p hurled with force and on a gravity forced trajectory hits me in the chops. I’m over it – not mentally scarred. But coin chuckers are cowards. Mind you coins are chucked at us from Charlton on every visit, oh yeah, they are a fairly cowardly club. You don't ever meet one in real life.

Nailed on the person who threw it was under 20yrs old. And a bit whet behind the ears. There’ll learn the hard way, when they get a ban! Cisse deliberately tried to wind-up by running behind the goal. Me I would have sprinted to celebrate with the away fans.. Just wish anyone who is offended by that they had to chuck an object would throw a screwed up piece of paper instead. Pretty disgusting headline – it doesn’t matter how close it is. Don’t throw it.

Going to sidetracking…

Good to see old Mellotron wielding his hypocritical stick. He’s not been on the BBS for a few years. Not surprised after all his predictions, Palace were on the way down and Brighton were hot stepping it to Premier League and eventual European competition. Although his departure was fairly gracious, probably still seething.

Some facts for Mellotron about Palace and our admin – he’s been told before. Several times… but that bitterness can’t get past the facts.

Fact: We owed £30m, £25m of it to Jordan, as he funded us (bit like you owe £120m+ to Bloom)
Fact: We owed £3.5m to Agilo a hedge fund, who had secured their debt. Jordan borrowed this money for 12 months, for intended repayment in full.
Fact: The remaining amount as of that time was for running costs, and was not forward looking for players /contracts etc.
Fact: Agilo got ridiculously agitated and decided to call in the debt, which was secured as part of the terms. We couldn’t settle it.
Fact: Agilo called in the Administrators. Stopping Agilo a multi-billion hedge fund, run by a maniac, and anyone getting their money owed. It was taken out of our hands – and through the appointed administrators.

CPFC2010 stepped in because nobody else wanted to – we were an hour or two from closure. We were a loss making company, (bit like every championship club) but the club hadn’t been invested in for six + years and hadn’t paid for a player in the two years prior to that. (you’ll see from our stadium it’s been longer than that), our only asset was our players contracts as we didn’t own the ground, staff, and the club name. We didn’t even own our training pitch. The staff was skeleton due to the redundancies . Season ticket money had been called in advance with 5 & 10 year deals (and 100 or so 25 year deals too). Revenue had already been received and offset against debt. So anyone that came in had to honour 3,500 long term season tickets. Crowds over the six years from the Prem were dropping an average of 1,000 a year, community relationships were halted. Averages got to a lowest of 14,900. The only thing that had been invested was thankfully our academy, which is the life blood of any professional club. A big job for anyone – especially for four local fans who had zero industry experience. They didn’t really want to take it on, the problems ran very deep.

So debt free? That’s what happens, they pay the creditors get few pence in the pound and the debts are written off as bad debt. Quite a few of their local businesses remain with us, I hear – and are getting a lot of work their way. Jordan got about £2m of his £25m back. (A painful lesson) Agilo got some if not all of it back, can’t remember the terms. Are you really upset that Jordan lost a bomb? No. Under scrutiny your moral high ground is a little fake. Because when you have clubs like Leeds & Leicester (whose fans were also not complicit) but whose owners were very sneaky in ensuring maximum expenditure before calling in the administrators themselves to stop them having to settle the debt you will see that you couldn’t care less about them. Let’s hope Brighton never have to suffer the indignation of going to administration – forget the on the pitch. Long standing servants of the club getting wheeled in on the Monday morning, people who have devoted their lives to their club (no matter which club) getting told to pack their desks and leave. All employees are at risk – no redundancy package or notice period. Fans having to whip round and sponsor the teams shirts, organise fund raising nights for the sacked staff, paying the St Johns Ambulance debt. It really is one huge party! Having “(in administration)” after your club name is no badge of honour. It’s a horrific time, and been some of the darkest times of supporting the club. Your ignorance on the subject is appalling – one would hope you would never have to suffer it. Because I wouldn’t wish it on any club or community.. You’ll be asset stripped by the vultures inside 6 weeks.

The first ever club to receive a winding up order was Brighton & Hove Albion – thanks to your old mate. Or was that your fans fault going by the hypocrisy on here? Let’s hope you never have to receive another. It will be a sad day if you do.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Dear Mr Cheese Roll, can I congratulate you on a very well written piece and I am sure most of it is correct, but would like to query one point, unless I misuderstood, where you say Brighton were the first club to have a winding up order ?, I think you will find that was Aldershot Town, or even Accrington Stanley, I am sure the more educated ones on here can confirm. I know we did have a winding up order as I know someone at the Tax office who was involved and think was it before Archer, as Barry Lloyd was Manager we sold Mark Beeney to Leeds for £450k ?. Also what has any off this got to do with a Newcastle player being hit by a coin ?, thought that was the thread, seems to be more about 'willy waving' again, but both set of fans.

I’m Palace, I was hit by a coin ears ago and scarred. Luckily only on my lip. It travelled about 40 yards from the away section at home to Charlton. How’s your luck? Standing in a terrace with a few thousand in, my head turns and a 2p hurled with force and on a gravity forced trajectory hits me in the chops. I’m over it – not mentally scarred. But coin chuckers are cowards. Mind you coins are chucked at us from Charlton on every visit, oh yeah, they are a fairly cowardly club. You don't ever meet one in real life.

Nailed on the person who threw it was under 20yrs old. And a bit whet behind the ears. There’ll learn the hard way, when they get a ban! Cisse deliberately tried to wind-up by running behind the goal. Me I would have sprinted to celebrate with the away fans.. Just wish anyone who is offended by that they had to chuck an object would throw a screwed up piece of paper instead. Pretty disgusting headline – it doesn’t matter how close it is. Don’t throw it.

Going to sidetracking…

Good to see old Mellotron wielding his hypocritical stick. He’s not been on the BBS for a few years. Not surprised after all his predictions, Palace were on the way down and Brighton were hot stepping it to Premier League and eventual European competition. Although his departure was fairly gracious, probably still seething.

Some facts for Mellotron about Palace and our admin – he’s been told before. Several times… but that bitterness can’t get past the facts.

Fact: We owed £30m, £25m of it to Jordan, as he funded us (bit like you owe £120m+ to Bloom)
Fact: We owed £3.5m to Agilo a hedge fund, who had secured their debt. Jordan borrowed this money for 12 months, for intended repayment in full.
Fact: The remaining amount as of that time was for running costs, and was not forward looking for players /contracts etc.
Fact: Agilo got ridiculously agitated and decided to call in the debt, which was secured as part of the terms. We couldn’t settle it.
Fact: Agilo called in the Administrators. Stopping Agilo a multi-billion hedge fund, run by a maniac, and anyone getting their money owed. It was taken out of our hands – and through the appointed administrators.

CPFC2010 stepped in because nobody else wanted to – we were an hour or two from closure. We were a loss making company, (bit like every championship club) but the club hadn’t been invested in for six + years and hadn’t paid for a player in the two years prior to that. (you’ll see from our stadium it’s been longer than that), our only asset was our players contracts as we didn’t own the ground, staff, and the club name. We didn’t even own our training pitch. The staff was skeleton due to the redundancies . Season ticket money had been called in advance with 5 & 10 year deals (and 100 or so 25 year deals too). Revenue had already been received and offset against debt. So anyone that came in had to honour 3,500 long term season tickets. Crowds over the six years from the Prem were dropping an average of 1,000 a year, community relationships were halted. Averages got to a lowest of 14,900. The only thing that had been invested was thankfully our academy, which is the life blood of any professional club. A big job for anyone – especially for four local fans who had zero industry experience. They didn’t really want to take it on, the problems ran very deep.

So debt free? That’s what happens, they pay the creditors get few pence in the pound and the debts are written off as bad debt. Quite a few of their local businesses remain with us, I hear – and are getting a lot of work their way. Jordan got about £2m of his £25m back. (A painful lesson) Agilo got some if not all of it back, can’t remember the terms. Are you really upset that Jordan lost a bomb? No. Under scrutiny your moral high ground is a little fake. Because when you have clubs like Leeds & Leicester (whose fans were also not complicit) but whose owners were very sneaky in ensuring maximum expenditure before calling in the administrators themselves to stop them having to settle the debt you will see that you couldn’t care less about them. Let’s hope Brighton never have to suffer the indignation of going to administration – forget the on the pitch. Long standing servants of the club getting wheeled in on the Monday morning, people who have devoted their lives to their club (no matter which club) getting told to pack their desks and leave. All employees are at risk – no redundancy package or notice period. Fans having to whip round and sponsor the teams shirts, organise fund raising nights for the sacked staff, paying the St Johns Ambulance debt. It really is one huge party! Having “(in administration)” after your club name is no badge of honour. It’s a horrific time, and been some of the darkest times of supporting the club. Your ignorance on the subject is appalling – one would hope you would never have to suffer it. Because I wouldn’t wish it on any club or community.. You’ll be asset stripped by the vultures inside 6 weeks.

The first ever club to receive a winding up order was Brighton & Hove Albion – thanks to your old mate. Or was that your fans fault going by the hypocrisy on here? Let’s hope you never have to receive another. It will be a sad day if you do.

Righto, that clears up Admin number 2.

What about Admin number 1?

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
As stated to Cheese Roll, this is about a Newcastle player being hit by a coin, why respond with other stuff. Yes we know Palace had 2 admins, St Johns, etc etc, it is not news and to be fair it was not the fans fault. Just like Archer was not our fault. Palace fans are just the same as us, supporters of a football team and credit to the ones and to be fair the majority who have condemed the coin throwing act. I had a chat with my Palace mates on facebook today and they are annoyed and embarressed, so lets keep to the subject and no comments about 'well he started it' ,boring lets all move on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Going to sidetracking…

Four local fans who had zero industry experience? One of them owns Churchill Insurance so hardly a naive local fan.

Since when was hypocrisy an excuse for coin throwing?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Some facts for Mellotron about Palace and our admin

Sorry, please explain the hypocrisy to me? My point has always been that Palace's lording it over us and that we're "forever in your shadow" is quite hollow because of the financial mismanagement of the club at the time. Nothing you have put has changed that. Palace have done fantastically well over the past couple of years and we still haven't recovered from losing Poyet. If I had "lorded it" over Palace and said that you were "forever in our shadow" then I would be being hypocritical. But I never have. So I have no clue what you're on about.

Seething? Hardly. It just got boring because it was impossible to have a sensible discussion on the BBS. I still believe that long term we will have the last laugh, but we're taking a bloody hard long way round to do it. I genuinely haven't even looked at the board since. I thought it would be interesting to have genuine debate and conversation with Palace fans but get far better of that on here so no point going there really.

Also, do you have a response regarding the differing reactions of Albion and Palace fans to "shit-gate"? [MENTION=21414]Del Fenner[/MENTION] went surprisingly quiet on this one.

Last edited:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
In the Palace-Albion game of October 2005, Wayne Henderson, our keeper that day, was constantly pelted with coins and bottles at the Holmesdale Road end, as was Gary Hart when he picked the ball out of the net after Clinton Morrison’s stoppage-time goal was disallowed. Moreover, I was one of the Albion fans by the corner-flag, in the away end, at whom were thrown several coins. I complained to the stewards, but they stood around doing nothing.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
In the Palace-Albion game of October 2005, Wayne Henderson, our keeper that day, was constantly pelted with coins and bottles at the Holmesdale Road end, as was Gary Hart when he picked the ball out of the net after Clinton Morrison’s stoppage-time goal was disallowed. Moreover, I was one of the Albion fans by the corner-flag, in the away end, at whom were thrown several coins. I complained to the stewards, but they stood around doing nothing.
I remember standing in your corner section at the goldstone and the coins going to and fro all game . You would hope in this day and age fans would see the stupidity of coin throwing ( obviously not in one idiots case ) I hope he gets a long ban regardless of his age . Lastly , a great post by cheese roll which is bang on the money , well said mate :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here