Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The petition is over 10,000 now.

Perhaps he will if his appeal is rejected until then he has to maintain a degree of non committal, probably on legal advice. So that aspect of the situation should not be held or used against him.

There is no appeal. As has probably been posted previously, this case is being reviewed by the Criminal Cases Review Commission for a potential miscarriage of justice (that's the CCRC's remit). In the 16 or so years since it was set up the CCRC has reviewed approximately 17,200 cases of which about 3.5% have been referred back to the Court of Appeal.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...on-against-idea-of-signing-evans-9956932.html

Oldham manager is opposed to it but has been overruled by the owners. He is expected to toe the party line.

I haven't followed this case in great detail, so two things surprised me about that article:

1) Evans' girlfriend has stayed with him and her family are supporting him through this (Assuming that she was his girlfriend at the time of the incident, as it has been intimated on this thread)
2) The director of the club, who is a former Senior Police Officer, backs the decision to sign Evans.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I haven't followed this case in great detail, so two things surprised me about that article:

1) Evans' girlfriend has stayed with him and her family are supporting him through this (Assuming that she was his girlfriend at the time of the incident, as it has been intimated on this thread)
2) The director of the club, who is a former Senior Police Officer, backs the decision to sign Evans.

I do wonder how long Evan's girlfriend and her family will continue to support him once he finally realises the game is up, and he drops his innocence protestations.

Also, it is the same director who brought in Lee Hughes to Oldham who admitted his guilt.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is no appeal. As has probably been posted previously, this case is being reviewed by the Criminal Cases Review Commission for a potential miscarriage of justice (that's the CCRC's remit). In the 16 or so years since it was set up the CCRC has reviewed approximately 17,200 cases of which about 3.5% have been referred back to the Court of Appeal.

Correct but easier to refer to it as an appeal until such time as it is rejected finally or accepted whatever.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

18,627 cases reviewed, 543 referred back to court of appeal and of those, 374 had convictions quashed. That is just over 23 people per year that have been found not guilty and, presumably have therefore served jail time when they shouldn't have.

In this case, they have intimated that his case review might take up to 35 weeks and then, may be referred back to the Court of Appeal. My view on Evans is that, whilst legally he is entitled to go back to work, until this process is finished, he shouldn't really be looking to get a job back in football. If he is proved not guilty then he should be free to find a club in this or any other country. If it is thrown out, then he has to decide whether to hold his hands and accept he has been found guilty of rape and hope to get a club having shown the required remorse or face the prospect of having to find a new career!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
18,627 cases reviewed, 543 referred back to court of appeal and of those, 374 had convictions quashed. That is just over 23 people per year that have been found not guilty and, presumably have therefore served jail time when they shouldn't have.

In this case, they have intimated that his case review might take up to 35 weeks and then, may be referred back to the Court of Appeal. My view on Evans is that, whilst legally he is entitled to go back to work, until this process is finished, he shouldn't really be looking to get a job back in football. If he is proved not guilty then he should be free to find a club in this or any other country. If it is thrown out, then he has to decide whether to hold his hands and accept he has been found guilty of rape and hope to get a club having shown the required remorse or face the prospect of having to find a new career!

Good summary.

I think one of the big problems he has is that while I understand the logic of not being publicly remorseful while challenging the verdict, if it IS upheld and he remains a convicted rapist then an apology at that stage will seem too late, and not have anything like the impact that an earlier apology would have.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
why?

he is a convicted rapist

Why, whenever there is a headline about David Beckham, do they not refer to the sex texts to Rebecca Loos? "Married Cheat" David Beckham...?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good summary.

I think one of the big problems he has is that while I understand the logic of not being publicly remorseful while challenging the verdict, if it IS upheld and he remains a convicted rapist then an apology at that stage will seem too late, and not have anything like the impact that an earlier apology would have.

Why would he apologise if he doesn't believe it was rape?

If I accused you of breaking a valuable vase, and you hadn't broken it, would you apologise and show remorse for breaking the vase?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If I accused you of breaking a valuable vase, and you hadn't broken it, would you apologise and show remorse for breaking the vase?

With all due respect [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] that's a RUBBISH analogy. In this case Evans DID break the vase - even he isn't claiming the event never happened.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

What if the only reason he protests his innocence is to keep his girlfriend and her family onside? Will there be a time that he realises the game is up ? ???

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Oldham have said 'no'.

Evans will probably take that as a 'yes' and turn up anyway.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If you accused me of intentionally breaking the vase, but I had actually broken the vase by accident, I would explain it wasn't intentional, and would then apologise for my clumsiness.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Sorry, you've lost me. Didn't I just say above (and several times previously, actually) that I DID understand why he wouldn't apologise, certainly at the moment, if he believes himself to be wrongly convicted? But IF he runs out of options to challenge the verdict, that is a question he has to address again given the reaction. And by then it will be too late IMHO, so he isn't in a great place on that front.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That is a little misleading. To clarify, the 'event' ,as far as he is concerned, was consensual sex which he never has denied.

You can rewrite history all you want but a court decided that it was RAPE not consensual sex. To that extent his opinion of what happened is an irrelevance and shouldn't in any event prevent him showing contrition to the victim.
Words like "I genuinely thought it was consensual but (the court determined) I was clearly wrong and (the victim) has suffered emotionally which is something I am really sorry for"
If he had done that he would have been clear to return to his career. Failing to do so shows an arrogant disregard for social mores and will leave him ostracised.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With all due respect [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] that's a RUBBISH analogy. In this case Evans DID break the vase - even he isn't claiming the event never happened.

I misread the double negative...edit

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you accused me of intentionally breaking the vase, but I had actually broken the vase by accident, I would explain it wasn't intentional, and would then apologise for my clumsiness.

You would still apologise, even though my following actions would basically ruin your life?

Note: I am not saying Ched Evans is innocent. I am playing devil's advocate and suggesting what his motivations, if he believes himself to be fully innocent, might be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here