Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very calm Dave, we are leaving the EU despite a couple of clowns on here believing todays hiccup means Brexit is collapsing and wont happen.
Let me know when a New Referendum Act(insert year) passes through parliament..........i wont hold my breath.

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a Remainer, I'd like to say I saw this sh*t storm coming but I didn't and I'm still trying to get my head around it. It looks to me as if May is caught between a rock and a hard place

1. UK maintains soft border with Eire - DUP pulls out of the agreement to keep May afloat - political suicide for May?

2. UK agrees implements hard border then Eire will simply veto any final Brexit deal? Suicide for May.

If UK stays in the Customs Union = no border problem, but the hard-line Brexiteers (some of them on this thread) will go mad. Would Labour then support May to push this version through? Surely not: they'd go for a General Election and take their chances.

I'm not sure if anyone could have written this situation as a narrative - but surely May should have seen it coming at some point. And of course had she not called the Election she wouldn't be in thrall with the DUP. And even the Good Friday Agreement isn't a trump card: the DUP weren't party to it. And just to throw into the mix that NI voted to remain. I've been following politics for 50 years and have never seen anything quite like this.

I even heard one Leaver MP saying the problem will be solved when Eire leaves the EU too!

May and that utter cretin David Davis should do the decent and honourable thing and step down. It’s clear they are totally incapable of leading the country through these negotiations. Time for a cross-party approach to Brexit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
odd isnt it, that this morning the reports where that negotiations were going well and aside some clarification on Irish issue, it was looking to get wrapped up. then the remarkably unleaky negotiations leak something, in draft, with wording that upsets someone and there's a big huff by lunchtime. its almost as if someone wanted to cause a problem, to take things down to the wire (again). negotiations werent supposed to even end today, everyones talking as if they have (or is it just abandoned now?). the funny thing is that the first report i read said the paragraph refered to the situation if there was no agreement, not part of the agreement, such detail lost in the umbrage.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You really are dumb,aren't you?The only reason Ulster is under discussion is because it shares our ONLY land border with the future EU.It is a bit like you-a special case,in fact unique to the British Isles.Do try to keep up in future.

Can you please stop misusing the word 'Ulster', a large part of which is in the ROI. It suggests you're a bit silly.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
odd isnt it, that this morning the reports where that negotiations were going well and aside some clarification on Irish issue, it was looking to get wrapped up. then the remarkably unleaky negotiations leak something, in draft, with wording that upsets someone and there's a big huff by lunchtime. its almost as if someone wanted to cause a problem, to take things down to the wire (again). negotiations werent supposed to even end today, everyones talking as if they have (or is it just abandoned now?). the funny thing is that the first report i read said the paragraph refered to the situation if there was no agreement, not part of the agreement, such detail lost in the umbrage.

So are you suggesting that the leak was on purpose, or that this whole charade is staged? I guess that you could be right but to what end, I don't see who has benefited from this, at least yet...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So are you suggesting that the leak was on purpose, or that this whole charade is staged? I guess that you could be right but to what end, I don't see who has benefited from this, at least yet...

yes, and those that wish to force an abandonment of Brexit would benefit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
So that's 50 million Euros to the EU, Northern Ireland remains in the EU and ECJ rules over EU citizens in the UK. When May said this would be a red, white and blue Brexit I thought she was referring to the Union Jack and not the French Tricoleur.

Total shambles.

I know, total and utter shambles. But will be packaged by the one eyed somehow as a great Brexit deal :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It wouldn't surprise me if may's husband says.." **** this for a game if soldiers.." and she steps down.

As said above, she can't win this cluster**** of a cock up and I don't think anyone can.

Let Trotsky have a go...he cant do much worse that this shower.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So, just to make it clear what I would do.

1/ I wouldn't follow the signs that say 'To shit creek'

2/ I DEFINITELY wouldn't throw away my f***ing paddle
But you're not making it clear what you would do. You are just saying what you wouldn't do - which isn't a solution, or even a suggestion of a solution.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It wouldn't surprise me if may's husband says.." **** this for a game if soldiers.." and she steps down.

As said above, she can't win this cluster**** of a cock up and I don't think anyone can.

Yep. They'll have a Christmas walk, and a chat and then she'll say goodbye.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We’re being held to ransom by 10 religious fundamentalists. Well done everyone, top work.

Great policies

1) Believe rape victims should not be allowed abortions
2) No gay marriage
3) Have strong links to terrorist Ulster group
4) Are ambiguous on climate change

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nobody is scared. Its just a waste of time proposal given there was a parliamentary vote not to have another one and no one can envisage a Liberal Party government that would be needed for new legislation and a New Referendum Act…..all before march 2019

Original vote
Instruction to Leave the EU

In keeping with the democratic decision to Leave.

Proposed next vote on the deal(2nd referendum)
1/ Should the UK Leave the EU whilst accepting the withdrawal agreement.
Or
2/ Should the UK Leave the EU whilst rejecting the withdrawal agreement.

I cant see what extra dimension a public vote will add to the parliamentary vote already going to happen on this. Seems perfectly reasonable to let parliament be the decider on this one. You lot hate referendums anyway, and prefer governments to govern, bit odd to start liking them now.
Very well put. Extremely lucid explanation. Lots of people, some of whom may be in denial, won't like it at all!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
May and that utter cretin David Davis should do the decent and honourable thing and step down. It’s clear they are totally incapable of leading the country through these negotiations. Time for a cross-party approach to Brexit.
Very rarely agree with anything you say, but would definitely agree that a cross party approach to Brexit would have been a better idea, so long as it was a cross party approach to Brexit rather than a cross party approach to weaselling out of Brexit.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

It's much easier for Corbyn, he doesn't have to reconcile two wings of his party - he does have Brexiteers but very few. He could easily go for membership of the customs union - which would solve the NI problem (and quite a few others) and would get the support of many Tories, don't forget most Conservative MPs were Remainers. It would be a tight squeeze but I reckon he'd get it through.

Whether leaving the EU and remaining in the customs union would be seen as a betrayal or not would remain to be seen, but it's certainly something he could do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here