Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The ambition was always to run in the same parkrun as my son and daughter, son has done a couple of 5k's but I will need a couple more weeks to get my speed up or I will be eating his dust!

Come down to Hove Park – plenty of friendly faces to make you feel welcome.

Although...

3.1 miles in 4 weeks for me. Training is for wusses. In fact I have decided to hang up my yellow shoes for a couple of months as achilles tendon working but in constant pain. [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] can now overtake my Parkrun tally by the end of the year.

I can't believe you're bailing out and taking away part of my motivation for cutting 21.44 on Saturday! I don't even know if [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] is back from one of his holidays to use as a target (in the nicest possible way!)...

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
3.1 miles in 4 weeks for me. Training is for wusses. In fact I have decided to hang up my yellow shoes for a couple of months as achilles tendon working but in constant pain. [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] can now overtake my Parkrun tally by the end of the year.

Sorry to read another Achilles casualty. I think yours has been giving you problems for a similar amount of time as mine. I stopped for 9 weeks but pulled up again last night and now torn between trying to run through it and risk making it worse or stop again which I really don't want to. I've never had issues with my Achilles before and didn't realise how long the healing time was. Crap its dull. Will probably take the sensible option and lay off, but maybe not. Hope yours repairs quicker

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry to read another Achilles casualty. I think yours has been giving you problems for a similar amount of time as mine. I stopped for 9 weeks but pulled up again last night and now torn between trying to run through it and risk making it worse or stop again which I really don't want to. I've never had issues with my Achilles before and didn't realise how long the healing time was. Crap its dull. Will probably take the sensible option and lay off, but maybe not. Hope yours repairs quicker

Mrs Knocky will kill me if I am unable to go on the Annapurna trek this winter and I'd rather do that than run, if a choice. Good luck with yours. I feel mine is a residual rheumatoid arthritis inflammation, hence the ability to run on it even when painful. By Xmas it could be OK, if not it may be degenerative.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Some good advice already. I was advised to run 3x 20 mile runs before my first marathon with the second one at your marathon pace to get accustomed to distance and speed. I would also peak at 40 miles a week leading up to the race before the taper.
Good luck for Saturday.

Ouch, looks like I've got some hard miles to do before Brighton next year! I don't think I'm even clearing 20 miles per week, let alone 40, the trouble I have being I won't run two days on the trot because I find that breaks me.

At the moment I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things for the Windsor Half, having been concentrating on 10k. My last long run petered out after 9 miles, so today I decided to mix things up with the hated intervals - 5 lots of 3 minutes fast and 2 minutes easy, topped and tailed with 5 minutes warm up/cool down. I didn't enjoy it!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Although...

I can't believe you're bailing out and taking away part of my motivation for cutting 21.44 on Saturday! I don't even know if [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] is back from one of his holidays to use as a target (in the nicest possible way!)...

Hola I am back and should be there on Saturday - just need to sow the roundel onto the back of my shirt

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You're not wrong - he's done 1,512 miles this year already :eek:

And ran a sub 3 marathon in his 20s :bowdown: Do you post on here sir? You should.

Also noticed that NSC Strava Group has just hit it's half century of members :clap2:. Marvellous scenes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm in old dog/new tricks territory as I try to ramp up my mileage for the November (insane) marathon around Preston Park velodrome. I'm coming from a pitiful training base which served me well for 5ks but have realised that a different mind-set is required for a marathon. The trick is to balance the extra miles while holding off injury esp at my age. The big deal for me is the dreaded long run and so far I've only been up to 13 miles. I'm trying to get the weekly miles per week up to 35+ week and might actually manage it this week. I'm staying away from hills (not hard in Worthing!) as they seem to trigger the hamstring prob. I realise that 35 mpw is nothing to some of the NSC long distance sloggers.

I'm still incorporating a parkrun as many schedules seem to recommend a shortish fast run. Saturday is my 100th parkrun (just behind knocky but well short of others) and - sad bugger that I am - I've noticed that a category win would give me a nice 80% win rate across the 100 events and 6 years. So if you know one of the fast old gits from Brighton and ascertain that he is coming over to Worthing to spank the locals could you please let his tyres down?

And one question if I may. At what speed do you run your weekly long run? I've seen different advice ranging from marathon pace + 2 through to 10k pace +2. I'm aiming for a 9 minute mile marathon.

35 a week is plenty to get marathon-ready. Rather than plodding out a long run at a slow pace (I don't subscribe to the need to do x x 20 milers by the way, not really necessary) do some 'speed endurance' basework. They're horrible runs, but consist of, for example an hour at easy pace (think recovery pace, or a minute a mile slower than planned marathon pace), then another hour or more at, or slightly faster than marathon pace. 15-17 miles like this will benefit you more than a consistent 3 hour slow slogs. Don't neglect speedwork in you other sessions......my coach would construct a 35 mile week in marathon training something like :

Sunday - 2 hours/15 miles speed endurance
Monday - rest or 30 mins recovery (very slow pace)
Tuesday - long intervals - say 2 x 2 miles @ 10k pace with 1 mile warm up and 1 mile recovery between
Wednesday - rest or 30 mins recovery run
Thursday - 40-50 min steady run with maybe 10 x 30 second bursts to 5k pace
Friday - rest or 30 mins recovery
Saturday - parkrun

Obviously the Tues and Thurs sessions would differ from week to week - interval length, hills, ladders, 800 repeats etc etc and the Sunday run would start at wherever you are now and gradually increase in time on feet.

I hear you re injuries - I have the same issue and constantly trying to keep in the sweet spot between doing a decent amount but not breaking something. Would highly recommend a personal coach too if you can.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ouch, looks like I've got some hard miles to do before Brighton next year! I don't think I'm even clearing 20 miles per week, let alone 40, the trouble I have being I won't run two days on the trot because I find that breaks me.

At the moment I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things for the Windsor Half, having been concentrating on 10k. My last long run petered out after 9 miles, so today I decided to mix things up with the hated intervals - 5 lots of 3 minutes fast and 2 minutes easy, topped and tailed with 5 minutes warm up/cool down. I didn't enjoy it!

I'm similar to you, in that I rarely run two days in succession. I tend to average 15 miles per week but increased this up to 20/22 for marathon training. Occasionally got up to 30 but never much beyond and this was still enough for me, as long as they were quality miles.

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks for the offer but those Hove Park boys and girls will be far to quick for me, I am more of a stroll in the park runner!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'm similar to you, in that I rarely run two days in succession. I tend to average 15 miles per week but increased this up to 20/22 for marathon training. Occasionally got up to 30 but never much beyond and this was still enough for me, as long as they were quality miles.

Training needs to consider 'horses for courses'. I think Big Nuts training plan would suit you due to your similar age, speed and, if I remember, family commitments.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
20 miles per week was my standard before I started getting in to marathon nonsense but after I'd lost my main weight and done a few competitive 10Ks. I found it pretty easy on three runs a week. Typically a 10k midweek run, 4 mile midweek run and a 10 miler at the weekend. This is where I'm aiming again this week. However, I found it ended up very samey last time and I don't want to get bored now I feel 100% fit, so I am only going to do 3 runs a week but the aim will be different mid-week distances with mixes of fartlek, intervals, tempo runs and slower recovery runs and fat burners, with a long run of a minimum of 10 miles at the weekend. If I can stick that out till November then I know coach's marathon plan won't break me.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks for the offer but those Hove Park boys and girls will be far to quick for me, I am more of a stroll in the park runner!

To quote Parkrun .....it's a run not a race (despite what knocky1 thinks)

You'd be very welcome - times at HP vary from 15 to 55 minutes and more. We all hang around at the end for a catch up and various of our friends and partners come in with slower times.

D

Deleted member 2719

To quote Parkrun .....it's a run not a race (despite what knocky1 thinks)

You'd be very welcome - times at HP vary from 15 to 55 minutes and more. We all hang around at the end for a catch up and various of our friends and partners come in with slower times.

Thanks, but I was joking, :jester:Hove is to far for me, but if I do go that way I will certainly join in.:moo:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yeah, I meant the bit after that – done west and east of it, but not much in the middle (apart from Beeding to Devils Dyke).

You need to get a move on because there aren't many spaces left, apparently. Add anything up to 30 mins to your normal HM time is what I heard – but off-road for me is less about the time and more about the experience. I think I'll be up and down some SDW hill reps on Sunday – not the most exciting, but decent training, I reckon.

Onroad, however, it's become a bit of a mission. Negative splits and a new record on the Adur Ferry Bridge Strava segment this morning. I hit 4.33min/mile at one point and got across in 40 seconds.

Littlehampton CTH 10k is a good one and has PB potential (although I think they've changed the course a bit since last time I ran it). Gutted to miss out but I'm otherwise engaged that day.

I've entered The Hard Way half now. I don't know the course but I'm expecting something very, very tough as I know the organisers don't do things by halves.

Has anyone here run this before and can give me a guide of what it's like?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've entered The Hard Way half now. I don't know the course but I'm expecting something very, very tough as I know the organisers don't do things by halves.

Has anyone here run this before and can give me a guide of what it's like?

Not done it but know the route like the back of my hand......

Along a short bit of road, up a massive, steep hill (tank tracks) to the SDW, then along the SDW east (undulating for a couple of miles), then a long gradual downhill, through some woods with a short very steep uphill, then down another steep hill to the A27 (layby at Housedean Farm, just East of Falmer). Then turn around and do it all in reverse.

As an aside, the race leader (he was miles ahead) last year ended up in hospital for a couple of days after passing out with heat exhaustion on the last downhill. Someone found him in a hedge. Proper emergency.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
35 a week is plenty to get marathon-ready. Rather than plodding out a long run at a slow pace (I don't subscribe to the need to do x x 20 milers by the way, not really necessary) do some 'speed endurance' basework. They're horrible runs, but consist of, for example an hour at easy pace (think recovery pace, or a minute a mile slower than planned marathon pace), then another hour or more at, or slightly faster than marathon pace. 15-17 miles like this will benefit you more than a consistent 3 hour slow slogs. Don't neglect speedwork in you other sessions......my coach would construct a 35 mile week in marathon training something like :

Tuesday - long intervals - say 2 x 2 miles @ 10k pace with 1 mile warm up and 1 mile recovery between
Saturday - parkrun

Obviously the Tues and Thurs sessions would differ from week to week - interval length, hills, ladders, 800 repeats etc etc and the Sunday run would start at wherever you are now and gradually increase in time on feet.

I hear you re injuries - I have the same issue and constantly trying to keep in the sweet spot between doing a decent amount but not breaking something. Would highly recommend a personal coach too if you can.

Many thanks for such a considered reply. This together with other replies shows just how many approaches there are. I like the speed-endurance advice. I read that Kenyans typically run negative splits in their long training runs and I've been trying to do this on my longer runs (if not quite at the pace of the Kenyans!). I think there's a lot of stuff going on in your head with marathon training and my own particular issue is with my two previous efforts which I did on a shameful training base - something like 10 miles per week, but with a 20 miler (the old 'Worthing 20' which some might recall) thrown in 2 weeks before the events. My training logs read like something that should be published under the title 'How Not to Prepare for a Marathon'
The schedule you've put together there isn't a whole lot different from what I've been starting to do but the big issue is that pesky long run, the prospect of which I find quite intimidating - but that's a bad reason for avoiding it.
Thanks again.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Some interesting views, I'm sure I can come up with a plan for me. I have two half marathons between now and Brighton, so my base should be fine. I suspect most of the issues I face will be to do with endurance, as I've never been further than 14 miles, and psychological... as I've never been further than 14 miles!

Saturday - parkrun

I currently run three days per week, one 10+ mile run, one 10k run, and one other run which could be a parkrun (Mrs Orange and I run these on alternate weeks) or an hours run, but I probably need to start mixing in intervals and hills again.

I also advocate a daily stretching routine... as whenever I miss a few days things start seizing up!

I think I tend to be closer to 20, on the few occasions I've hit 30 it has involved running on consecutive days and me injuring something!

Training needs to consider 'horses for courses'. I think Big Nuts training plan would suit you due to your similar age, speed and, if I remember, family commitments.

I think if I was a horse I'd be getting nervous about a lorry being hired to take me "on holiday". I think I'm a couple of years older than [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], but otherwise yes I think we are quite similar - I was certainly bench-marking his runs on Strava for a while when he was at his previous peak.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here