Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T concrete mixing advice please

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Dear NSC building experts...

I want to lay a concrete slab 8ft x 8ft x 4" deep of concrete over a gravel base (already in place)

How many bags of sand and cement will I need please?

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 2719

I want to lay a concrete slab 8ft x 8ft x 4" deep of concrete over a gravel base (already in place)

Thanks in advance!

What's it for, patio, shed base???

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
so you want 2.4. x 2.4 x 0.1. that gives you a cubic mass of 0.57m

The basic conversion rate is 1.76 ton of ballast per cubic meter.

You want to order a 1 ton bag and 6 bags of cement.

Edit:

6 Shovels of ballast and half a bag of cement per mix.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Did you go to school? Research anything in your life maybe?

Yes, and I feel I'm relatively on the ball in life, but having looked online tonight I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for, so I thought I'd ask the friendly and often helpful people of NSC as in the past it has proved fruitful.
So unless you can offer some help to the thread, please do one.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
so you want 2.4. x 2.4 x 0.1. that gives you a cubic mass of 0.57m

The basic conversion rate is 1.76 ton of ballast per cubic meter.

You want to order a 1 ton bag and 6 bags of cement.

Brilliant- many thanks for your help.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Thanks in advance!

:wave: you got the contract at selhurst then. :thumbsup:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Yes, and I feel I'm relatively on the ball in life, but having looked online tonight I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for, so I thought I'd ask the friendly and often helpful people of NSC as in the past it has proved fruitful.
So unless you can offer some help to the thread, please do one.

Really, well good luck to you. Just learn from the advice given instead of using the info satnav style and learning nothing. Have fun.............x

D

Deleted member 2719

Hot tub base

Okay, so it does need to be 4inches deep then!

Could you do a thiner base and slab it? Just thinking ahead if you ever wanted to demolish , it and put something in its place. Its easier to pull up some slabs and break a thiner layer of concrete, you would also have a better finish.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Could you do a thiner base and slab it? Just thinking ahead if you ever wanted to demolish , it and put something in its place. Its easier to pull up some slabs and break a thiner layer of concrete, you would also have a better finish.

Fred West made that mistake though :whistle:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Yeah it's possible.. 4" was the outer limit. I suspect it will likely be a bit thinner than that.
My research suggested about 0.49 m cubed but I was struggling to work out how many physical bags of sand and cement that equates to

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yeah it's possible.. 4" was the outer limit. I suspect it will likely be a bit thinner than that.
My research suggested about 0.49 m cubed but I was struggling to work out how many physical bags of sand and cement that equates to

I would ask whoever you are buying from , I am not sure what builders merchant you are going to use but usually Wickes are very cheap IF you going to pick it up rather than get it delivered. Might need a fw trips though.

D

Deleted member 2719

If you are going for a solid concrete I would go with Hendrax suggestion. Not sure how many small bags of ballast it is per bulk bag,(if you were looking to buy that way) I used to know but I can't recall at the moment!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
If you are going for a solid concrete I would go with Hendrax suggestion. Not sure how many small bags of ballast it is per bulk bag,(if you were looking to buy that way) I used to know but I can't recall at the moment!!

No probs! Thanks to both you and [MENTION=26782]Hendrax[/MENTION] - 3 or 4 other people have pm'd me concurring, so it's looking like a good general consensus!

D

Deleted member 2719

No probs! Thanks to both you and [MENTION=26782]Hendrax[/MENTION] - 3 or 4 other people have pm'd me concurring, so it's looking like a good general consensus!

No problem, enjoy knocking up the concrete, pick a cool day!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
You would be better off putting a 2.4m x 2.4m x 100mm high shuttering ply timber surround around the area to be concreted.
I would get 2 x 2.4m x 1.2m steel reinforcing grids as well, make sure what you have there is compacted and then get one of those 'Concrete Taxi' type firms around with ready mix in their little mixers and pour it in whilst incorporating the reinforcing sheets about midway through the height of the mix.
Then get the driver, who is normally a skilled concrete layer to smooth over the top before he leaves.
Whist it is drying sprinkle water from a hose over it periodically to stop it cracking.
When dry knock out the timbers, voila concrete pad.
In quick time, with little mess and no waste.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
You would be better off putting a 2.4m x 2.4m x 100mm high shuttering ply timber surround around the area to be concreted.
I would get 2 x 2.4m x 1.2m steel reinforcing grids as well, make sure what you have there is compacted and then get one of those 'Concrete Taxi' type firms around with ready mix in their little mixers and pour it in whilst incorporating the reinforcing sheets about midway through the height of the mix.
Then get the driver, who is normally a skilled concrete layer to smooth over the top before he leaves.
Whist it is drying sprinkle water from a hose over it periodically to stop it cracking.
When dry knock out the timbers, voila concrete pad.
In quick time, with little mess and no waste.

I guess that scenario would depend on access to the site to be concreted.

Sounds like a rear garden to me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here