Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If everyone around us strengthens .....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As we've been saying for months, it's all about us. The table gives us that.

We have to play 11 of the bottom half. 9 wins does it (assuming at least 3 points from the other 10 games). We don't have to take points off our rivals (although it would be nice).

PG

A bit of an assumption in there, we already know in this division anyone really can beat anyone. We might expect to beat bottom half teams, but may not happen. Still think we can get 9 wins somehow though.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
.... have we done enough this window to keep us on track for promotion?

That is a big if. Has anyone strengthened?

Newcastle have signed no one.
Reading have signed Ilori (who could be anything? Untested but looks decent) and Adrian Popa (played in Romania all his career, a lot of it at a reasonably low level, again could be anything)
Leeds have signed no one.
Huddersfield have signed Collin Quaner for Union Berlin, a one goal in five striker from the German second division. Let's call him the German Chris O'Grady.
Sheffield Wednesday have signed a Charlton centre back and Sam Winnal from Barnsley (which looks a decent signing)

How far do you want me to go before we can say categorically that someone has had a better window than us? If Newcastle sign Townsend then probably them, but otherwise?

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
I hope so but I do feel if we really wanted to make sure, we potentially could have gambled on one big signing. I am not ungrateful, I just feel that we gambled with this in the past and it bit us hard. Being in the position we are in, it should have been easier for us to negotiate a deal for some of the players we have seen signed by our rivals.

Issue there would be how the 'big money' signing affects other players. New player comes in with an increased price tag, and no doubt increased wages as it's a Jan transfer. Current players don't like that 'big signing' is on a hell of a lot of more money, potentially near-prem wages. Team spirit drops. See Fletcher at Sheff Weds. I think the squad harmony and spirit is one of the most pivotal ingredients to our team, so to risk it is not worth it, nor is it Hughton's style.

(Also as an aside, I noticed Jenkinson pulled out of going to Palarse as he found out Schulpp was on £50k whilst he was being offered a 'paltry' £35k.)

Best to keep our squad harmony than risk it on a 'big signing', I think.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
[MENTION=7322]Maximus[/MENTION] yeah I saw that about Jenkinson, money, money, money now, thats all this game is becoming to a lot of players. When is enough, enough?

AS stated I am delighted with our team and the togetherness they have, I agree it could have upset things, we will never know. We still don't know how the other teams signings will settle but as I said, we will find out very soon.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
There's only teams below us.
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today... Aha-ah...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Every season we hear from some that we have to spend huge amounts to compete. This last season and a half has blown that theory apart.

We are on promotion form and have been for the whole of this season and for the majority of the last. We have brushed aside last season's bitter disappointments and come back stronger with predominantly the same squad. We have strengthened intelligently and calmly (and we HAVE spent huge amounts in our terms). We have not lost anyone that we did not want to.

No-one in the premier league or football league won more points that we did in 2016. We have won 2/3rds of our games so far this season. We need to win just under half of our remaining games to get promoted. We have only lost 3 league games all season.

If the above does not give supporters and the club some degree of confidence (confidence and complacency are very different things) that we can reach our goal this season, then I do not know what will.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Reading have signed Ilori (who could be anything? Untested but looks decent) and Adrian Popa (played in Romania all his career, a lot of it at a reasonably low level, again could be anything)
Huddersfield have signed Collin Quaner for Union Berlin, a one goal in five striker from the German second division. Let's call him the German Chris O'Grady.
Sheffield Wednesday have signed a Charlton centre back and Sam Winnal from Barnsley (which looks a decent signing)

How far do you want me to go before we can say categorically that someone has had a better window than us? If Newcastle sign Townsend then probably them, but otherwise?

I've got SSN on in the background and was thinking just this. No-one in the Championship seems to have done anything much - just a bit of musical chairs. We've done exactly what we needed to - got good cover for Sam, brought Walton back and secured Murray and (touches wood) not let anyone go that we needed to keep.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Our first 11 are well up for the job. You need strength in depth, which we have, but then you also need a bit of luck to not get injuries/suspensions all affecting one position, like we had at left back last year. Right back is looking a bit vulnerable at this moment, especially with the new kid looking a little shaky against Lincoln. Hopefully he will be fine if it comes to it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Our first 11 are well up for the job. You need strength in depth, which we have, but then you also need a bit of luck to not get injuries/suspensions all affecting one position, like we had at left back last year. Right back is looking a bit vulnerable at this moment, especially with the new kid looking a little shaky against Lincoln. Hopefully he will be fine if it comes to it.

I have no problem with Tomori, his confidence got a little shattered after the oggy but he'll be over it.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
[MENTION=7322]Maximus[/MENTION] yeah I saw that about Jenkinson, money, money, money now, thats all this game is becoming to a lot of players. When is enough, enough?

AS stated I am delighted with our team and the togetherness they have, I agree it could have upset things, we will never know. We still don't know how the other teams signings will settle but as I said, we will find out very soon.[/QUOTE
I remember seeing Jenkinson on loan at Eastbourne borough, I am sure they were not paying him that sort of money, more like £35

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

More in answer to the Op than yourself [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] but thanks for laying it out.

Sheff Weds (Lol) can strengthen all they like they aren't getting any of those 6 lovely points back off us. We needed to cover for a run of injuries and it looks like we have done a pretty decent job of that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to that FL72 site Dimitar Barbatov flying in today for talks with Villa and West Ham but being a free agent time doesnt matter unduly.

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Issue there would be how the 'big money' signing affects other players. New player comes in with an increased price tag, and no doubt increased wages as it's a Jan transfer. Current players don't like that 'big signing' is on a hell of a lot of more money, potentially near-prem wages. Team spirit drops. See Fletcher at Sheff Weds. I think the squad harmony and spirit is one of the most pivotal ingredients to our team, so to risk it is not worth it, nor is it Hughton's style.

(Also as an aside, I noticed Jenkinson pulled out of going to Palarse as he found out Schulpp was on £50k whilst he was being offered a 'paltry' £35k.)

Best to keep our squad harmony than risk it on a 'big signing', I think.

This.

Keep the team spirit, no Billy Big Bollocks wanted:thumbsup: thank you very much.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
.... have we done enough this window to keep us on track for promotion?

We have not lost any of our key players, even the ones out of contract in the summer that was the main target considering they have got us to our position at the moment.

The loan forward is gwhat everyone was screaming out for cover for Baldock.

Anything extra would be a bonus, but I am happy with what we have and not concerned about other clubs, we have beat most teams that have been put in front of us.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Every season we hear from some that we have to spend huge amounts to compete. This last season and a half has blown that theory apart.

We are on promotion form and have been for the whole of this season and for the majority of the last. We have brushed aside last season's bitter disappointments and come back stronger with predominantly the same squad. We have strengthened intelligently and calmly (and we HAVE spent huge amounts in our terms). We have not lost anyone that we did not want to.

No-one in the premier league or football league won more points that we did in 2016. We have won 2/3rds of our games so far this season. We need to win just under half of our remaining games to get promoted. We have only lost 3 league games all season.

If the above does not give supporters and the club some degree of confidence (confidence and complacency are very different things) that we can reach our goal this season, then I do not know what will.

This. And would add that the oft trotted 'relegated clubs have shedloads of money and will walk the League' is patently not right. What is forgotten is that teams are not letting their players go so the big fish have a small pool to fish in.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here