Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help me with this mind fire k

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Say the till was initially empty. Customers gave waiter £30 that got put in the till. Waiter then takes £5 back out of the till. so the till's got £25, and the £5 taken back out gets split between the customers (£3) and the waiter (£2). Simples!

That would mean the customers have paid a net of £9 each which is £27, so why isn't there £3 left over?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Adding the £2 is irrelevant because it is included in the £27. It is the £3 each person kept that adds back up to £30.

I hope I'm not splitting a bill with you anytime soon! :lolol:

This is probably the clearest explanation of it!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
NO! It's £9 each PLUS the £2 tip. That adds up to £29! They initially gave him £30!

No, it's £8.33 each as £5 was returned, being as the bill was really £25. They then give him the tip.

The extra money you speak of has been refunded to the diners as loose change, it is not part of the calculation of payment.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
No, it's £8.33 each as £5 was returned, being as the bill was really £25. They then give him the tip.

The extra money you speak of has been refunded to the diners as loose change, it is not part of the calculation of payment.
£5 wasn't returned. £3 was returned. Regardless of whether the £2 was a tip or an overcharge, they initially paid £10 each and each got £1 back which is £9 each and £27 total. The other £2 of the money over and above the correct bill of £25 was kept. £27 and £2 is £29, what happened to the other pound?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
£5 wasn't returned. £3 was returned. Regardless of whether the £2 was a tip or an overcharge, they initially paid £10 each and each got £1 back which is £9 each and £27 total. The other £2 of the money over and above the correct bill of £25 was kept. £27 and £2 is £29, what happened to the other pound?

Stop being a din. They paid out £25 into the till, and £2 to the waiter, and they each have £1 in their pockets. There is no missing pound.

Jun 21, 2011
Okay so the bill was initially overcharged at £30, once the waiter realised his mistake he brought back the correct change of 5 £ coins the three customer gave the waiter 2 of the 5 as a tip and split the remaining 3 between them. Making the final bill £27 including tip. It is not £27 plus the £2 tip, the tip is part of the £27.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Okay so the bill was initially overcharged at £30, once the waiter realised his mistake he brought back the correct change of 5 £ coins the three customer gave the waiter 2 of the 5 as a tip and split the remaining 3 between them. Making the final bill £27 including tip. It is not £27 plus the £2 tip, the tip is part of the £27.
No, the £27 they paid would be net of the money the waiter kept then.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Okay. After this I have to update a set of limited company accounts. Thankfully that will be easier.

They have paid £10 each (£30)

The waiter comes back with £5, saying it is really £25 they should have paid. Take £2, they say. He replies ''Thanks''.

One of the diners says "So that means we have paid the £25 plus £2 tip for the meal. £27 in total"

"Yes, replies another, and as we originally gave him £30, there should be £3 left on the table in loose change-£1 each. Oh, I see there is"

"Bloody good value at £9 each" says the other, "Fancy a pint ?".

In agreement, they then leave the restaurant.

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
You are being a din.

Get 30 quid out and re-enact your little story and then you will see that there is no magical missing pound.
Given it's a puzzle raised by Professor Kjartan Poskitt [I swear] I'd suggest that maybe it's either him or you who is the din.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Stop being a din. They paid out £25 into the till, and £2 to the waiter, and they each have £1 in their pockets. There is no missing pound.

This. You just need to follow the cash flows:

1. £30 from customer to restaurant
2. £3 from restaurant to customers
3. £2 from restaurant to waiter

This ends up, as HKFC says, with £25 in till, £2 in waiter's pocket, £1 each in pockets of three customers - add them up and that's your £30.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Okay. After this I have to update a set of limited company accounts. Thankfully that will be easier.

They have paid £10 each (£30)

The waiter comes back with £5, saying it is really £25 they should have paid. Take £2, they say. He replies ''Thanks''.

One of the diners says "So that means we have paid the £25 plus £2 tip for the meal. £27 in total"

"Yes, replies another, and as we originally gave him £30, there should be £3 left on the table in loose change-£1 each. Oh, I see there is"

"Bloody good value at £9 each" says the other, "Fancy a pint ?".

In agreement, they then leave the restaurant.
Then one of them says 'right so we've got a pound back each, so we have paid £9.66r each, for the meal and the tip and that adds up to £29. Hang on!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
3 peeps out for a meal. Initially waiter tells them the total bill is £30. They give him £10 each. The waiter realises the bill is wrong and should only be £25. He takes five pound coins from the till. He gives them back one quid each and they let him keep £2 as a tip.

The 3 customers have therefore paid £9 each which is £27 total and the waiter has kept £2. What has happened to the other pound? At the time of writing I genuinely don't know the answer! HELP

Yet another way of setting this out:

You are positing that payments by customers (£27) + tip (£2) = incorrect original bill (£30), which is incorrect by £1. However, payments by customers of £27 already include the tip, so you're immediately double-counting the tip. Your revised equation would then be payments by customers (£25) = incorrect original bill (£30), which is more clearly an incorrect statement.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So let me get this straight. You are calling me a din. Does that mean you have got your money out and tried it then?

No need. But I would be using rands anyway and that may just confuse matters further as a rand is 1/18th of a pound.

Get your money out and try it - if you can lose a pound from it, you give everyone who has posted on this thread 30 quid. How's that? You din.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here